Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemula View Post
It does not matter much. You can go about 72mph in a 55 and about 74 in a 65. So...
Not really. I've been pulled over for close to 72mph in a 55 in Cumberland and luckily that time I talked the officer out of it and he must have already hit his quota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
LOL, what? If the gubment just wanted money then why would they dream up some elaborate and highly illegal revenue-generating conspiracy that requires the coordination of multiple departments and the installation of expensive electronic signage instead of just ticketing more of the hundreds of thousands of people who are already speeding?
I imagine they have logs of the speed limits posted and that if you are defending yourself, you have access to that information. In fact, if you even ask for it at the hearing, they'll probably just find a way to throw out your case because it's just too much work for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 03:17 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,893 times
Typically (speaking on the Dekalb County side from my personal experience), police allow you to drive up to 79 in different situations I've ran across. I've passed officers up going about 75, 77 and permitted by them with no problems. I think when their radar gun see an "8" is when it's a different ball game.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:47 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Default "Slow down to get there faster"

Will Going 35mph on the Perimeter Get You Anywhere Faster? - Commuter Concerns - Curbed Atlanta

Old 08-07-2014, 02:26 PM

186 posts, read 349,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
Typically (speaking on the Dekalb County side from my personal experience), police allow you to drive up to 79 in different situations I've ran across. I've passed officers up going about 75, 77 and permitted by them with no problems. I think when their radar gun see an "8" is when it's a different ball game.
I've spoken with GSP when I was getting a ticket for doing 81 when 285 on the SS was 55. I was told that most officers will not pull you over for doing 80 or below on 285 when traffic is medium to light. I've tested this a couple of times and I agree I can do up to 79 past a officer and not even get looked twice.

Here is Georgia law on speeding

40-14-8.
(a) No county, city, or campus officer shall be allowed to make a case based on the use of any speed detection device, unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour

With the moderator permission I would like to post the link to this website.

http://thegeorgiaspeedingticketkille..._fast_lane.php

Not legal advice but very interesting and useful.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:33 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared to Life View Post

40-14-8.
(a) No county, city, or campus officer shall be allowed to make a case based on the use of any speed detection device, unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour
Note that this does not apply to GSP. They can pull you over for going less than 10 over.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:16 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
I've tested this a couple of times and I agree I can do up to 79 past a officer and not even get looked twice.
You're brave! I would never try that out. I don't like getting close to 75. I keep it around 70 which is flow of traffic usually.

As for the concept, I do agree in principle that slowing traffic before the stop and go traffic will help (I do this a lot myself when traffic is just starting to get slow. I much rather keep a steady 30-40 then haul in over 50 and come to a stop). But, I just don't see too many people getting behind on the idea. At least not at first. I saw on some DOT informational that it was used in Florida somewhere and even without enforcement it did improve things. No idea if that would happen on the often racetrack like top end.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:55 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
You're brave! I would never try that out. I don't like getting close to 75. I keep it around 70 which is flow of traffic usually.
It's true. In a 55 mph, I've gone past cops doing 75 and I haven't been stopped. Same for 65 mph, I used to do around 79/80 and I haven't been stopped yet for it. Plenty of times, I thought, Dekalb was going to came after me and nope, laser on, laser off!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:38 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It's true. In a 55 mph, I've gone past cops doing 75 and I haven't been stopped. Same for 65 mph, I used to do around 79/80 and I haven't been stopped yet for it. Plenty of times, I thought, Dekalb was going to came after me and nope, laser on, laser off!
It's seriously permitted unless the officer wants to know more about the driver lol

Old 08-07-2014, 10:08 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Quote:
I've tested this a couple of times and I agree I can do up to 79 past a officer and not even get looked twice.
Sounds like russian roullette. I got pulled over for 76 once on I-75 just inside Atlanta near Cumberland (changing a few lanes during it probably didn't help keep me unnoticed). Luckily, I was able to talk my way out of it.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Sounds like russian roullette. I got pulled over for 76 once on I-75 just inside Atlanta near Cumberland (changing a few lanes during it probably didn't help keep me unnoticed). Luckily, I was able to talk my way out of it.
State Patrol seems to be quite a bit stricter on that segment than other. I see people doing barely above traffic speed (which is already 6-8 above 55) that get nailed, while I see them fly past GSP elsewhere doing 15+ over. I've also noticed that Dekalb seems quite lax on I-285 and I-20, especially outside the perimeter. Though one day on I-20 inside I-285 on the east side, I did see DKPD pull off the shortest "pursuit" ever, it was less than 200 feet from where the officer pulled behind the guy to where he stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta