Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think they should have gone with the same style, or do you like the new style better?
Old style 7 77.78%
New style 2 22.22%
No opinion / other (please comment) 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 12:52 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,772,682 times

Advertisements

Everyone who travels down Hawthorne Ave in Smyrna near the future Belmont Hills probably notices the modern-Manhatten-esque townhomes built in 2007 or so. Now, developers are about to break down on new ones right next to them, which will have more of a Craftsmen style to them as opposed to this modern Manhatten-esque style of the current ones (which I love, btw, but apparently the developer doesn't want to repeat).

It is in the area North of Spring Street (other side of Atlanta Rd from Market Village and the future Belmont Hills) which has been a hotbed of development, even during the downturn.

I don't like the new style as much because it doesn't have stoops, and top floor porches and therefore looks a little less upscale. I do like its stonework and the fact it isn't as square, but I think the lack of stoops is a major downgrade from the existing ones.

Do you think they should have gone with the same style, or do you like the new style better?

Old style:

New style (I think it's a picture of another development):

Last edited by netdragon; 06-16-2014 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 01:36 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,769,106 times
I like the old style but not a fan of the square shape. If the old style was a repurpose of an older building, I would think it was totally cool and imaginative but for new construction it seems odd. For that reason I voted on the new style.

But both are nice and very welcome additions to the area compared to what used to exist in the area.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,760,331 times
I like both, but I think it would be nicer to keep a neighborhood character over a larger space (aka old style)

The old style reminds me of an older city where most buildings were made of brick buildings from the large amount of Clay in the ground ready to be burned into bricks.

The new style with the stone work and the shingle siding reminds me of a mountain retreat.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
The new style with the stone work and the shingle siding reminds me of a mountain retreat.
Yeah, like a ski village :-)

Old 06-17-2014, 01:44 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,866,434 times
they both look quite phony to me, but if i had to pick, i'd go with the first ones. the new ones look rather cheap.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:02 AM

103 posts, read 327,457 times
That is down the street from my apt. I really wish I coiuld afford to purchase in Smyrna. But I will have to go further north to Acworth, south to Union City or west to Douglasville...all which i HATE compared to Smyrna!

Old 06-18-2014, 11:17 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,264,886 times
Old style, on the strength of not having fake shutters, if nothing else. Also not digging the wood, shaker shingle, brick and stone on the facade of the new ones. Think they could have worked in at least one more material/texture there.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:28 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,749,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Old style, on the strength of not having fake shutters, if nothing else. Also not digging the wood, shaker shingle, brick and stone on the facade of the new ones. Think they could have worked in at least one more material/texture there.
I agree.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,817,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I like the old style but not a fan of the square shape. If the old style was a repurpose of an older building, I would think it was totally cool and imaginative but for new construction it seems odd. For that reason I voted on the new style.

But both are nice and very welcome additions to the area compared to what used to exist in the area.
I prefer the old style as well if I were going to have to live in one, and I agree with what you said about the square shape and that it looks more like a repurposed older building. Maybe it's the angle of the shot but it seems something different should have been done with the roof.

I think the second will likely be easier to sell in this area though. It's more in line with what is generally considered curb appeal here.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab1975 View Post
That is down the street from my apt. I really wish I coiuld afford to purchase in Smyrna. But I will have to go further north to Acworth, south to Union City or west to Douglasville...all which i HATE compared to Smyrna!
I wouldn't give up...

Have you considered getting an older 2 or 3br bungalow near market village and fixing it up, maybe adding a new front facade, and covered porch or foyer in the front?

That's being done a lot in Smyrna

I'd drive down around Forest Hills around Lee St and in areas around Market Village in Smyrna for inspiration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta