Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top-10 most walkable, or #1 for sprawl?
Top-10 most walkable 10 43.48%
#1 for sprawl 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The problem though is the single family homes that separates these urban corridors and Atlanta has no plans to tear them down for apartment so until then, Atlanta as a whole will never be urban and won't be in the top 10. It's certainly not more urban then any of those cities I mentioned above, even Baltimore and Seattle.
Thank God! These areas are what make Atlanta special and more popular than most of the cities you listed as "more walkable".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 08:39 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The problem though is the single family homes that separates these urban corridors and Atlanta has no plans to tear them down for apartment so until then, Atlanta as a whole will never be urban and won't be in the top 10. It's certainly not more urban then any of those cities I mentioned above, even Baltimore and Seattle.
The historic, streetcar suburb neighborhoods are something that make Atlanta unique. I never want to see them torn down for brownstones or apartments. There is plenty of underused land close to the core that can be redeveloped into dense, multifamily developments.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The historic, streetcar suburb neighborhoods are something that make Atlanta unique. I never want to see them torn down for brownstones or apartments. There is plenty of underused land close to the core that can be redeveloped into dense, multifamily developments.
It wouldn't be Atlanta without those historic neighborhoods...and many of them are quite walkable themselves. Single-family areas are not automatically unwallkable.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:06 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Honestly, I would say neither. It definitely isn't #1 sprawl. Houston, Dallas, and my god, Los Angeles are worse. I'd even say Phoenix is worse. Maybe Birmingham too (though it is way, way, way smaller, it is super spread out and the population density is super low).

And though parts of Atlanta are very walkable, the vast majority of the metro area's residents have terrible walkability scores. There is no comparison when you look at Atlanta vs. New York. Now that I think about it, it might be in the top 10 in walkability, but towards the bottom.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:06 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Thank God! These areas are what make Atlanta special and more popular than most of the cities you listed as "more walkable".
Agreed. Now I think some of the single-family homes in the commercial core of Midtown can be replaced with higher density residential development, but I'd never want to see that happen in Va-Hi, Old Fourth Ward, Grant Park, Inman Park, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Honestly, I would say neither. It definitely isn't #1 sprawl. Houston, Dallas, and my god, Los Angeles are worse. I'd even say Phoenix is worse. Maybe Birmingham too (though it is way, way, way smaller, it is super spread out and the population density is super low).
Actually I think Atlanta's sprawl is worse than all of those cities minus Birmingham because it's lower density and more irregular. Geography makes for denser sprawl in Houston, LA, and Phoenix in particular.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:27 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
Didn't vote. I think Atlanta is neither

Old 06-19-2014, 11:09 AM
bu2

24,092 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I think people are confused. Metro Atlanta is in the top-10 most walkable, and it's also #1 for sprawl. I guess it depends on who does the study and what their agenda is.

Time for you to weigh in.
I don't know the agenda of the author of that opinion piece. But Atlanta is nothing like Portland or Minneapolis who were, like Atlanta, in the bottom part of the top 10. Haven't been to Cleveland or Pittsburg so can't comment on them.

The only thing I can figure is that he is counting various little pockets like Downtown Decatur, Oakhurst and parts of Midtown.
Or, that he has an agenda and is trying to promote walkable development in certain places by commenting on the things they have done.

IMO, Atlanta is one of the least walkable major cities. There are spotty sidewalks, sidewalks that are inches from the traffic lanes, few pedestsrian trails (until you get to the Chattahoochee), very busy streets with long lights that are hard to cross, a limited grid that limits your routes, long blocks, and development patterns that create vast stretches between retail destinations.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I don't know the agenda of the author of that opinion piece. But Atlanta is nothing like Portland or Minneapolis who were, like Atlanta, in the bottom part of the top 10. Haven't been to Cleveland or Pittsburg so can't comment on them.

The only thing I can figure is that he is counting various little pockets like Downtown Decatur, Oakhurst and parts of Midtown.
Or, that he has an agenda and is trying to promote walkable development in certain places by commenting on the things they have done.

IMO, Atlanta is one of the least walkable major cities. There are spotty sidewalks, sidewalks that are inches from the traffic lanes, few pedestsrian trails (until you get to the Chattahoochee), very busy streets with long lights that are hard to cross, a limited grid that limits your routes, long blocks, and development patterns that create vast stretches between retail destinations.
Shocking.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Agreed. Now I think some of the single-family homes in the commercial core of Midtown can be replaced with higher density residential development, but I'd never want to see that happen in Va-Hi, Old Fourth Ward, Grant Park, Inman Park, etc.

Actually I think Atlanta's sprawl is worse than all of those cities minus Birmingham because it's lower density and more irregular. Geography makes for denser sprawl in Houston, LA, and Phoenix in particular.
Replace Ansley Park and Historic Midtown? Absolutely not. There is plenty of room for high-density development without taking away from the historic character of the area. Why in the world would you want to see these 19th and early 20th century homes destroyed but not similar ones in the other areas? That doesn't make any sense. They are an important part of the fabric of Atlanta and there is ample room for both.

I highly doubt you will find much support for such a thing.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-19-2014 at 10:44 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 10:54 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
could it be both? atlanta has a really strong urban core, in fact, multiple strong urban cores, but also arguably has the worst sprawl in the country.

this is what makes atlanta so unique is that there isn't a whole lot of in-between. you go straight from high and mid rises to spread out suburban development, nearly everywhere in the metro. you don't have the consistency of other cities like los angeles, dallas, or houston, that have miles and miles of tightly packed houses and small apartment complexes.

part of that, of course, is bad, but i think having that dichotomy in development keeps atlanta's tree canopy intact, when if we had miles and miles of 'dense sprawl' (which is not really all that walkable anyway), atlanta wouldn't have nearly the amount of forested areas it does. it keeps the urban areas close to nature.

i think the ideal would be to build up our primary urban core and buckhead, establish other walkable urban cores (perimeter, cumberland, alpharetta, marietta, etc.), connect them all by transit, and all the areas in between concentrate on keeping the tree canopy intact.

that way you can choose to live in the city or the suburbs, and either way, you're not far from the other.

^^^^
This.

Overall excellent post (the bolded parts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta