Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:55 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain 33 peachtee. Are they building the parking deck first. It looks weird on the side across from the back of the Marta station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:05 AM

668 posts, read 994,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Can someone explain 33 peachtee. Are they building the parking deck first. It looks weird on the side across from the back of the Marta station.
Yes, the deck is being built first. Since the lot was previously being used as the parking lot for Atlanta Gas Light, part of the agreement was that 33 Peachtree would have dedicated parking for AGL employees in their new deck. Some employees are still in the back part of the original lot (which will go away when the deck is ready) and others are being shuttled over from Tech Square.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:15 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
Yes, the deck is being built first. Since the lot was previously being used as the parking lot for Atlanta Gas Light, part of the agreement was that 33 Peachtree would have dedicated parking for AGL employees in their new deck. Some employees are still in the back part of the original lot (which will go away when the deck is ready) and others are being shuttled over from Tech Square.
Too bad more AGL employees don't use the MARTA station next to the building.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:21 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Most of these recent projects I have noticed they seem to finish the parking deck before they even start on the main structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't really have anything to add other than that more mixed-used mania in Midtown may mean many millennials making much madness.
Maybe. Many might mark more mass-transit modes, meaning moderating madness

Old 03-23-2015, 11:27 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
Okay that makes sense and explains it, but would have been nice for the parking deck to face another direction and retail be the first thing people would have seen once exiting transit.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:46 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Maybe. Many might mark more mass-transit modes, meaning moderating madness
Great, now I have to attempt to untie my tongue.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:10 PM

749 posts, read 887,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Okay that makes sense and explains it, but would have been nice for the parking deck to face another direction and retail be the first thing people would have seen once exiting transit.
There will be some retail on Peachtree Place upon exiting the Marta Station, but yeah, I'm also concerned about how well the garage will be masked and whether it's going to stick out like a sore thumb. It also seems odd that there is not going to be any retail along 8th, which would be the base of the 19th story tower, if I'm not mistaken.

I remember hearing a while back that at the DRC, Wood Partners showed an elevation from the Cypress St. side, which I have yet to see. I am curious as to how this project will address both Cypress St. and 8th St. Will the 8 story mid-rise portion be along Cypress or West Peachtree?

Old 03-23-2015, 12:25 PM

668 posts, read 994,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
There will be some retail on Peachtree Place upon exiting the Marta Station, but yeah, I'm also concerned about how well the garage will be masked and whether it's going to stick out like a sore thumb. It also seems odd that there is not going to be any retail along 8th, which would be the base of the 19th story tower, if I'm not mistaken.

I remember hearing a while back that at the DRC, Wood Partners showed an elevation from the Cypress St. side, which I have yet to see. I am curious as to how this project will address both Cypress St. and 8th St. Will the 8 story mid-rise portion be along Cypress or West Peachtree?
Agreed, although from the renderings I've seen the majority of the retail shops will run along West Peachtree, with only one storefront on Peachtree Place. It looks like the majority of the tower will be along Cypress with part of it fronting on to 8th Street. The pictures make it look like most of the garage should be wrapped and more or less covered by exterior buildings, but it should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:47 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Agreed, although from the renderings I've seen the majority of the retail shops will run along West Peachtree, with only one storefront on Peachtree Place. It looks like the majority of the tower will be along Cypress with part of it fronting on to 8th Street. The pictures make it look like most of the garage should be wrapped and more or less covered by exterior buildings, but it should be interesting to see how it turns out.
The West Peachtree elevation shows the tower fronting 8th Street:

Old 03-23-2015, 08:14 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
I really hope the parking garage is hidden or veiled well or it's going to look awful and I honestly think they should have went with Dual towers with another tower fronting the MARTA station. It would have been more efficient and be able to fit more people on that block. It'll likely be too late. I just don't think the block is being used as efficiently as it could be especially with how large it is.

I'm also curious about the courtyard in the middle and how it will look. I think it's going to be public, but not 100% sure. I love how some European cities have courtyards in the center of buildings. Barcelona is a good example and a great use of full blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta