Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 06:09 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times

Advertisements

"Want to do your grocery shopping in one hour without leaving your house? Check out Instacart, the new online grocery delivery service that debuted in Atlanta today.

Originally launched in San Francisco, the service allows you to select grocery items from multiple stores and have them delivered in an hour for $5.99 on orders above $35. Currently in Atlanta, you can order from Kroger or Costco and your first Instacart order (over $10) is delivered free.

To use the service, visit Instacart.com, enter your zip code. Complete the information to create an account. Order your items including meat, dairy, produce and personal care. At checkout, you enter your address and phone number and decide which delivery time you want.

For now, Instacart is only available ITP for neighborhoods including Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown, Decatur, Virginia-Highland, Brookhaven, West Atlanta, Lenox and Old Fourth Ward..."

Full Story: Instacart grocery delivery debuts in Atlanta | Atlanta Bargain Hunter | www.ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 06:36 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
This is cool. There were two delivery services here before, but I cannot remember the name of either one right now. I think they closed some time in the early to mid 2000s. The only place that will deliver to me now is Griller's Pride Kosher.

At any rate, I will definitely try this new service. I just briefly browsed the Costco section. I don't really expect all prices to be competitive, but I must say $7.39 for a 5 lb bag of limes is way less than anything in the grocery store including Trader Joe's. Since delivery for the first order is free, I'll probably wait until next week so I can to place a good sized order before the 4th.

I'm pleased.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:51 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Wow, delivery is only $6 for orders over $35...that's a really really good deal. Makes a whole lot of sense for many people. Hell, I have the time and I want to use this!

EDIT-
Quote:
If you're not a Costco member, this is a great way around that barrier, since Instacart does not require a Costco membership to order items from the store.
NICE!!!!!

Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,737 times
The biggest grocery delivery service was webvan..a lot of hoopla and unprofitable.

Webvan’s Founder is Back And He’s Building A Grocery Delivery Business | Re/code

Old 06-26-2014, 07:02 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
This is cool. There were two delivery services here before, but I cannot remember the name of either one right now. I think they closed some time in the early to mid 2000s. The only place that will deliver to me now is Griller's Pride Kosher.
Webvan was one.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:11 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
The biggest grocery delivery service was webvan..a lot of hoopla and unprofitable.

Webvan’s Founder is Back And He’s Building A Grocery Delivery Business | Re/code
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Webvan was one.
Right! Webvan was one. I think one of their problems was logistics. You could place one order for something as small as an ice cream sandwich and two other orders separately to be delivered to the same address and all three would be delivered by different drivers. I know this because we tested it out when I worked here for a while in the early 2000s. That's a coordination failure.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:42 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Right! Webvan was one. I think one of their problems was logistics. You could place one order for something as small as an ice cream sandwich and two other orders separately to be delivered to the same address and all three would be delivered by different drivers. I know this because we tested it out when I worked here for a while in the early 2000s. That's a coordination failure.
I think the dot com deliveries failed because they wanted to be grocery store that delivered. I think this was foolish given how competitive grocery stores are. This seems like a delivery business and convenience factor. I'm not sure if they are marking up the retailers prices, but they have a better approach than WebVan. I will try it for sure. I wonder if Publix will be available soon?

Old 06-26-2014, 07:46 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
We loved webvan. Used it all the time. Too bad they couldn't make it work.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:53 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
I hope to use them, but they don't deliver to Cabbagetown yet.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:24 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
They are not where I am yet either.

But this will make it even easier to get rid of a car in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta