Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,436 times

Advertisements

I was a resident during the time the fire happened at the condos on Winding River Drive. My problem was not the neighbors but the 'slum' lord I had as a landlord. I learned so much living in the community like: 1) the building burned down because there was no water in the water hydrants when the fire department arrived, 2) the fire extinguishers were out dated and didn't work, 3) the high HOA fees were not being used to properly maintain the property or landscape, 4) that building was the third fire in 4 years, and 5) you can spend time trying to judge the character of the people or you can get involved and make a difference. Those who lost everything in the fire were hard working people who loved their children and the community they lived in. I visited the area again today for the first time since moving out last Summer. It 'looks' much better although I doubt the 'owners' and management have changed very much. Sandy Springs and its more affluent residents would rather not address real problems but contain and control them. It will get better with God's help and responsible citizens getting involved. If you want a perfect community this isn't it but neither is Country Club of the South!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,255 times
I drove by today to check on a potential rental property. There are so many empty properties and rental signs in the areas. It makes you nervous just to drive by because there were people just wondering around just like south of Atlanta. properties were not kept up. I only saw two kinds of people which were blacks and Latinos. I would not risk my life to live there not even with condos for sale at $19,900.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:13 AM

616 posts, read 1,112,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD30 View Post
The note above about the QT is worth reinforcing; the statement saying there are frequent arrests there is correct. Also, you'll notice the heavily worn clay/dirt paths along side the roads leading to bus stops, grocery stores and the QT... this ties in with my original statement about lack of funds... how do you expect people who can't even afford a car to pay condo dues?!?! Sad but true. Hey if you move here at least you'll be able to park just about anywhere you want.

Maybe they just wanted a walkable community. People in the city pay a premium to be able to walk to shopping and public transportation.

No seriously, I have suggested on this forum before that the loitering and foot traffic along that area of Sandy Springs was undesirable, but was quickly met with disbelief that I would think foot traffic was a bad thing. LOL.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:38 AM

283 posts, read 375,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khwsuper1 View Post
I drove by today to check on a potential rental property. There are so many empty properties and rental signs in the areas. It makes you nervous just to drive by because there were people just wondering around just like south of Atlanta. properties were not kept up. I only saw two kinds of people which were blacks and Latinos. I would not risk my life to live there not even with condos for sale at $19,900.
Would it have made you feel better if you saw people other than blacks and Latinos? I just have to ask...

Old 07-14-2012, 11:47 AM

858 posts, read 1,385,078 times
Are we really about to have another race debate in a 5-year-old thread?

Old 07-15-2012, 10:37 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,544 times
Since I bought my place in Sandy Springs, these have been in transition. I initially looked there back in 2006 and they were selling for 129K. Now, they are about 80-90K. Correct me if Im wrong but they look to be an apartment to condo conversion. It looked as though the conversion was taking a very long time as when I pass over that way, there still seems to be a lot for sale. The area is really not bad and the townhomes are decent though the apartments behind them need a lil work. The good thing is that the subdivision is gated and very quiet. But I do not profess to know the politics or inner workings of the subdivision.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,247 times
AVALON TOWNHOMES - the best kept affordable condo community in Sandy Springs

Location! Location! Location!

* minutes outside of Atlanta
* a short walk from the Don White Chattahoochee River park area
* short drive from Island Ford National Recreation Area ([url]https://www.nps.gov/chat/index.htm[/url])
* a short drive from Canton Street shops, restaurants, boutiques ([url]http://www.visitroswellga.com/what-to-do/shopping[/url])
* seasonal farmers and artesian market - voted the best medium sized market in 2011 ([url]http://roswellfam.com/[/url])
* on the MARTA bus line and 6 short stops from the North Springs MARTA rail station ([url]https://martaguide.com/2010/02/12/north-springs-marta-station/[/url])
* right off GA400 at Northridge Exit
* a short drive to 285 at Roswell Road Exit

Avalon is a gated community of brick townhomes in Sandy Springs, GA (Fulton County). Avalon’s 1st phase was built 1968 & 2nd phase built in 1985. Community converted from apartment to condo ownership 2007-2008. When available, Avalon has for sale 2-story townhomes with 1-3 bedrooms. Recently renovated updates in Avalon townhomes include granite counter tops, hardwood floors, new double pane windows & cabinets. Avalon units are Condominium ownership, has an HOA, is all electric. Amenities include access controlled gated community, swimming pool, clubhouse, gym, private fenced courtyards, tennis courts and ample parking. *Schools: Dunwoody Springs Elementary, Sandy Springs Middle, North Springs High.

I purchased a 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath condo in Avalon Townhomes (enclosed by an access controlled wrought iron gate) in 2014. In 3 short years, property values have risen 25%. It will undoubtedly stay on the upswing with all of the construction of live, work, play communities on Roswell Road (from 285 up towards Roswell and the Chattahoochee River) which is bound to yield an even higher return on investment.

The majority of the residents in Avalon Townhomes are people looking for excellent value for their residential budget, are very frugal, and sometimes in transition themselves. Many of my neighbors are empty nesters, college students, young couples / first time home buyers, divorcees, single parents of all races, widows and widowers, of all cultures and socioeconomic statuses. The community is beautifully diverse, and within our gates, we all work together to make it one of the best kept secrets in the area. There are 133 units and there is a cap that limits the amount of units that can be rented at one time. Currently the cap is a 33. Leases must be a year long, and a copy of the lease must be filed with the property management company.

With regard to crime, as with all areas in transition, there is sporadic crime. North Fulton crime (all areas, not just Sandy Springs) has become more frequent these days. WSBTV has a special reporter that reports on the stories in North Fulton, Mike Petchenik, North Fulton Bureau Chief, however crime is a concern everywhere. Be conscious of your surroundings, be involved in your community, be in touch with and know who your neighbors are, and all will be well.

HOA representatives are voted in annually. Our HOA presidents and board members have been wonderful, and have spear-headed many improvements in the community in recent years. HOA meeting attendance by homeowners and renters in the community has also been high.

This property is managed by Heritage Property Management.

Last edited by Sage Wisdom; 06-29-2017 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Additional detail

Old 06-29-2017, 05:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,247 times
NOTE: there are SEVERAL apartment / condo communities in the area. Be specific about the community you are referring to in your commentary. Some of them are:

Azalea Park (gated single story APARTMENTS - [url=http://www.gscapts.com/apartments/sandy_springs_ga/zip_30350/gsc/4526]Sandy Springs, GA Apartments for Rent | Azalea Park at Sandy Springs[/url])

Avalon Townhomes (gated townhome styled CONDOS)

Hope Springs Manor Townhomes (fee simple townhomes [url=http://www.atlantatownhomes.com/project/hope-springs-manor/#]Hope Springs Manor Townhomes in Sandy Springs- Atlanta[/url])

Legacy Key (gated single story APARTMENTS - [url=http://www.hgliving.com/legacy-key-atlanta-ga]Apartments In North Atlanta | Legacy Key Apartments | Harbor | Home[/url])

Winding River Village (ungated townhome style CONDOS)

The Carlyle of Sandy Springs (gated townhome styled APARTMENTS - [url=http://www.pegasusresidential.com/carlyle-of-sandy-springs-atlanta-ga]The Carlyle Of Sandy Springs Atlanta, GA. | Welcome Home[/url])

etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta