Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:35 AM

35 posts, read 221,797 times

Advertisements

"Stuck up?" Atlanta?
What part of this city are you hanging out in?????

Old 12-18-2007, 11:10 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodScout View Post
"Stuck up?" Atlanta?
What part of this city are you hanging out in?????
I think an additional question might be: What types of behavior does the original poster consider to be "stuck up"...?

Some folks might consider the mere act of living in a suburban subdivision to be acting in a "stuck up" manner. Seriously.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:47 PM

857 posts, read 4,877,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcdiva85 View Post
I heard that the people in Atlanta can be stuck-up, especially in Buckhead. I want to get out of Charlotte for a new start, but I don't want to be around a lot of black people that is snobbing each other.

To be honest, I think people in Charlotte is stuck-up enough.
Maybe it's the line of work that I am in... but aside from a few stray individuals I have not run across much behavior that I would categorize as snobbery. Where are you finding all of these snobs in Charlotte? If it something that is specific to an industry it may be the same here.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
I hope that the original poster will forgive me, but I have to point out a POSSIBILITY...

My best friend is a nice guy, but I've got to lay it on the line - he comes from a familiy in Kentucky that could write a novel on "How to be white trash, 101". We're talking BAD.

They've been here, and I've heard them make comments about "stuck up people" who "act like they're better than you" ... those kinds of things. Well, you know what they were talking about? Ok, one of them goes to an Applebees to eat, and right in the middle of the dining room, let's out a HUGE belch, then laughed about it loudly. When a few folks glanced at him (including me) with a "don't you know how to act" look, his comments later were, "did you see all of those stuck up a*holes in there??". I mean, to HIM, "stuck up" meant everyone didn't just start rolling and giving him a high-five for winning a belching contest in a public place.

So, I have no idea who the original poster is, what type of family environment they were raised in, or for that matter, the type of people they were raised around. But sometimes people who come from much more rural areas, or for that matter, much more ghetto areas, will come to Atlanta - and experience dare I say this, "civilization", and think that people are stuck up when they react negatively to some less than appropriate actions of the newcomers part. It's one of those - you need to fit in just a bit - kind of things. Atlanta isn't Boone, Kentucky. It also isn't Detroit. It's not Seattle. It's not New Orleans. Never forget where you came from, but also realize that people here may be and act very different than where you're from. Things that are acceptable back home may not be here. Maybe the folks here aren't stuck up... it's just that they're not reacting well to certain behaviors some people bring with them.

Just a thought.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:27 PM

44 posts, read 54,093 times
What I don't like about Charlotte?

Okay let's see:

It's taking Charlotte a long time to get established or caught up with other bigger cities.

I always thought Charlotte's mayor (Pat McCrory) is paying magazines, newspapers, and other media to brag about how great Charlotte is. I don't think Charlotte is ALL THAT, however, I don't totally hate it either. It's average and it's no AFRICAN AMERICAN culture worth a damn!

That totally messed up with this new "light rail" thing they built. Charlotte tries so hard to keep up with other cities, only to mess up at the end. I'm only 22, and I will be about 40 when Charlotte gets itself together.

And the reason I called people in Charlotte snobs because nobody wants to live on the "west side" These same people be walking in the west side stores, businesses, etc.
But I must admit, that there are some real down to earth COUNTRY people in the city too. It's the people from "up north" (i love y'all, I"m just saying, lol) that act sadittty.
Only about 20% of people are from CHARLOTTE. Everybody else is from somewhere else. And the people from other places be like: "what is the big deal about this place?" but they always seem to have the better jobs.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:42 PM

60 posts, read 68,562 times
qcdiva85, please use correct grammar.

Thanks,
A stuck up Atlantan

Old 12-20-2007, 12:11 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcdiva85 View Post
These same people be walking in the west side stores, businesses, etc.
And with that, you just answered some questions.

Ok, listen up. This is "how to be treated - 101", and I'll say it in West Side lingo. If you ACT ghetto, you're going to be treated ghetto. If you speak with the same grammar as a character on Good Times, then you'll be looked upon as such... a character.

Don't belittle a city for light rail because they don't want the same traffic problems we have here in Atlanta as they grow. Don't belittle people who don't want to live in a rough part of town. If you walk around with a chip on your shoulder, you'll again, be treated likewise. Sometimes it's not "all the stuck up people"... sometimes it may just be you. It's not a personal attack - just pointing out that maybe you need to see how YOU interact with people. How do you speak to them? Grammar? Respect? You usually get what you give, you know.

Just an observation.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:57 AM

14 posts, read 39,308 times
I don't really get what "stuck up" is either. Atlantans are polite and laid back, but there's definitely some in this city who are really into status, driving a new car, having a huge McMansion, etc. That's not different from anywhere else.

Also, because there are so many colleges here, we have a population that is highly educated in comparison to other areas. (Not GA, just Atl.) And most prefer correct grammar In all seriousness, it does attract people who are serious about education, career, and who have ambition...maybe that's "stuck up" to you? I have no idea.

Atlantans do have pride in their city; I've lived here for three years, and most of my friends (who are young professionals) do enjoy eating at nice places, a good bottle of wine, having a decent place to live, etc. But none of us are running around with bottles of Cristal throwing rocks at poor people or anything like that. And most southerners enjoy kicking back with a drink and friends. Decidedly not "stuck up".

Atlanta is a very diverse city. You can pretty much find a varietal of types wherever you look. Stereotyping everyone as one thing is ignorant, IMHO. Maybe you should visit here first and look around? It might be best to see if you are comfortable here, before you move.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:01 AM

14 posts, read 39,308 times
Also, being from up North, I guess I act sadittty. Sorry about that!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:45 AM

13 posts, read 60,265 times
I'm moving here from NJ I like the area but I don't really see the southern hospitality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta