Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times

Advertisements

Last time I checked, Atlanta is in Georgia. Why must we have such a divisive dichotomy????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 06:49 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Permimeter Center is in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, and Brookhaven; all of which are Republican leaning.
PCID does not include Brookhaven.
Quote:
Dunwoody is the suburbs. State Farm's office is OTP.

It said metro Atlanta's job growth exceeded the state's. That's been true for 100 years. The article didn't say anything about Atlanta's job growth vs. the suburbs other than some of Mayor Reed's puffery.

So really the article didn't say much.
Dunwoody yes, but Perimeter Center is an edge city served by transit. That is why it has more office space than many major southern cities; eg: Nashville, Birmingham, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Memphis.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:59 AM

197 posts, read 515,905 times
What a pathetic article written by a pathetic person. They couldn't find a "Blue" state to brag about economically so they have to create a "Blue" city within a "Red" state scenario. It doesn't matter if Atlanta is Red, Blue or Green, it is the largest city in Georgia and by default will benefit the most from the state's pro business climate. That's just common sense, which apparently the author of this article lacks.

The author also conveniently forgot to mention that Georgia has been named the top state for business in 2014 (Georgia is CNBC). That's Georgia, not Atlanta... I always find it interesting that Red states, such as Texas, are alway at the top of the list for job creation. Why don't we ever hear of a Blue state being an engine for job creation? Hmm, I wonder why that could be?

Old 07-02-2014, 07:24 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I personally wish the mayor and other municipal level positions were non-partisan for this very reason. I moved here from a city/town that was vast majority white and republican yet the mayor was black and could arguably have gone either way politically.
100% with you there. There is no benefit whatsoever to bring in the toxic world of partisan politics to local offices.

My favorite people are the kind I can't tell "what side of the aisle" they fall on. They don't waste time.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:48 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKeeper View Post
What a pathetic article written by a pathetic person. They couldn't find a "Blue" state to brag about economically so they have to create a "Blue" city within a "Red" state scenario. It doesn't matter if Atlanta is Red, Blue or Green, it is the largest city in Georgia and by default will benefit the most from the state's pro business climate. That's just common sense, which apparently the author of this article lacks.

The author also conveniently forgot to mention that Georgia has been named the top state for business in 2014 (Georgia is CNBC). That's Georgia, not Atlanta... I always find it interesting that Red states, such as Texas, are alway at the top of the list for job creation. Why don't we ever hear of a Blue state being an engine for job creation? Hmm, I wonder why that could be?
Most of the richest states in the nation per capita are Blue states.

The thing that has been driving Texas' economy more than anything is the soaring, humongous Oil and Gas industry there. If you doubt me I even read a report made by an organization representing the Oil and Gas Industry in Texas bragging that it's the huge amount of revenue and sales tax they bring to the State that allows it to do away with State income tax which attracts other business and yet still have a budget surplus which they use to make huge infrastructure expenditures on roads, transit, and schools.

Decades ago when the U.S. Oil Industry was suffering because an OPEC price war had oil prices really low Houston and Dallas were economically struggling.

Last edited by Galounger; 07-02-2014 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-02-2014, 07:51 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
The red part of Georgia is doing just fine.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I agree.

This "us vs them" mentality in Metro Atlanta and the state of Georgia is largely the creation of the media, and it doesn't help when liberal national press comes in and tries to drive the wedge even deeper.

I hear NONE of my friends and family who live in the suburbs say anything bad about the city -- NONE! Ditto most of the people I know here in Savannah. They love Atlanta! But a helluva lot of my in town Atlanta friends despise the state and suburbs. Wonder why that is?
Having trouble finding anti Atlanta Georgians? Head down to South West Georgia. I grew up there and still visit and you can find an Atlanta hater down there lighting fast. There are some White people there that like the idea of living in Atlanta but they are definitely outnumbered by those that have all negative stuff to say about it. Most Black people there will tell you they like it except for the crime and traffic but wouldn't live there because they believe the cost of living is too high. Many of the local politicians there have an us vs Atlanta agenda.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Most of the really successful classmates of mine from Red South West Georgia found their success in Atlanta or out of State. I hear people there (especially young people) complain all the time about not being able to find good jobs.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:17 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yes because South Georgia, Central GA, and the mountains are such an economic engine.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:13 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Actually, much of rural southern Georgia does not appear to be doing so well from what I've seen of it repeatedly.
The route between Atlanta & Panama City that I take when I choose not to go via any interstate highays in Georgia gives an eye-opening look at the grinding rural & small town poverty that is so prevalent in middle & southwestern Georgia.
As I approached metro Atlanta on my last return trip from the beach, I noticed that the break in the widespread look of poverty & the first inking of prosperity started at Senoia, in southern Coweta County. That leaves a heck of a lot of desperate looking country between when I left Columbus all the way up to Senoia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta