Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 06:04 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinFool View Post
Avondale is the most racist affluent city in Georgia. Until 2020 they had a wall (well locked fence) so people couldn’t enter from an adjacent green space. Until about 10 years ago it wrote more traffic tickets per capita then any city in Georgia. Change is coming and the old racist guard is fighting like heck to kept it white. The residential side is 90% white. With the new apartments and 3 breweries, I must admit it’s slowly changing. It had a really bad reputation amongst the majority black population County it’s located in.
Had friend who are an interracial couple and they sold their home and moved away because once they had kids they didn’t want them to be subjected to the pervasive yet subtle racism.
Sounds like the racist black people in SW Atlanta who actually have signs up saying don’t sell your home to anyone that isn’t black, only vote the ‘Black Slate’, and only shop at Black owned businesses. Do signs like that exist in Avondale?

Change is coming to many parts of Atlanta and some people are having a hard time coming to grips with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 06:31 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,520,959 times
No, the signs don't exist, and that's the problem. I respect the overtly racist idiots more, I know who to avoid. But I despise folks like Avondale who have the BLM signs, rainbow flags, and all the obvious hallmarks of a "progressive" area, but are as racist as the day is long.

Old 07-04-2021, 06:07 AM

1,150 posts, read 613,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Sounds like the racist black people in SW Atlanta who actually have signs up saying don’t sell your home to anyone that isn’t black, only vote the ‘Black Slate’, and only shop at Black owned businesses.
If that were whites doing that in a white neighborhood, could you imagine the outrage?

Old 07-04-2021, 09:34 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,846,478 times
Quote:
Sounds like the racist black people in SW Atlanta who actually have signs up saying don’t sell your home to anyone that isn’t black, only vote the ‘Black Slate’, and only shop at Black owned businesses. Do signs like that exist in Avondale?

Change is coming to many parts of Atlanta and some people are having a hard time coming to grips with it.
Here you go again

Next time you see these signs, tell us where they are located. Maybe post a picture. I’m in SW Atlanta often and I don’t believe they are as prevalent as you say they are. Nor have I seen any significant signage saying to only sell homes to black people.

What change do you foresee coming to SW and NW Atlanta outside the Beltline area? Do you really foresee waves of white residents descending upon the Mays, Therrell, and Douglass Clusters in the near future? Lastly, has anyone who lives in the entire SW quadrant of the city ever told you that they do not want white people moving there? Better yet, have you ever even spoken to a SW Atlanta resident about this?

Remember when you made the unsubstantiated claim that residents in 30314 and 30310 don’t want white residents attending their public schools and how completely and egregiously false that statement was? I would hate for you to keep making similar mistakes over and over again.

Lastly, again, if you want some racial context about the history of Avondale Estate, listen to the story in this link: Archive Atlanta: Avondale Estates

…and please don’t come with your lame “fake news” excuse. I explained that there is an Instragram page created by a white, far-right person posing as a black, “woke” page, and you were like, “It does not matter where the info is coming from…”

Yet when offering (or asking about) real contextualized facts, you suddenly can’t be bothered. I still believe that even you, who are so set in your rigid frame of thinking, can still learn a thing or two if you try.

Old 07-04-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
If that were whites doing that in a white neighborhood, could you imagine the outrage?
FYI, blacks are not doing that in black neighborhoods. RonRicks is likely talking about a smattering of tattered black and white “Buy Black” signs printed on plain white copy paper stapled to lights polls, etc. (with tons of other stickers and graffiti) that have been faded and weatherbeaten since who knows when. Similar to ones you would see around Krog St. and L5P near his neighborhood of Candler Park.

Do you really believe that these “signs” are speaking to proof of an organized plan by residents to keep white people out of the SWATS? If so, then you are incredibly naive.

This is a perfect example of running with someone that does not know what they are talking about.

Lastly, I’ll go ahead and mention that “buy black” signs exist period because of all American racial/ethnic groups, Black Americans often have the least solidarity. I could break this down further, but to be honest, I don’t believe that you genuinely want to understand any of this. So I will leave it at that for now.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:27 PM

1,150 posts, read 613,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
FYI, blacks are not doing that in black neighborhoods. RonRicks is likely talking about a smattering of tattered black and white “Buy Black” signs printed on plain white copy paper stapled to lights polls, etc. (with tons of other stickers and graffiti) that have been faded and weatherbeaten since who knows when. Similar to ones you would see around Krog St. and L5P near his neighborhood of Candler Park.

Do you really believe that these “signs” are speaking to proof of an organized plan by residents to keep white people out of the SWATS? If so, then you are incredibly naive.

This is a perfect example of running with someone that does not know what they are talking about.

Lastly, I’ll go ahead and mention that “buy black” signs exist period because of all American racial/ethnic groups, Black Americans often have the least solidarity. I could break this down further, but to be honest, I don’t believe that you genuinely want to understand any of this. So I will leave it at that for now.
I’m still waiting on your response from the ‘Buckhead Shooting’ thread.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Here you go again

Next time you see these signs, tell us where they are located. Maybe post a picture. I’m in SW Atlanta often and I don’t believe they are as prevalent as you say they are. Nor have I seen any significant signage saying to only sell homes to black people.

I might just take you up on this offer. The signs exist. All of them. Nice play on words in your response. So you admit that they exist but in your opinion it isn't a significant amount? What amount is acceptable for signs that display bigoted or racist verbiage?

Quote:
What change do you foresee coming to SW and NW Atlanta outside the Beltline area? Do you really foresee waves of white residents descending upon the Mays, Therrell, and Douglass Clusters in the near future? Lastly, has anyone who lives in the entire SW quadrant of the city ever told you that they do not want white people moving there? Better yet, have you ever even spoken to a SW Atlanta resident about this?
My comment was more geared toward Avondale with regards to change but as I have told you before if people in SW Atlanta are not concerned with change why all the signs? Tell me. The fact that these bigoted and racist signs even exists tells us that the neighborhood is not very welcoming or inclusive to people that have a different skin color. The whole Merto Atlanta region is changing and there are some people who are having a hard time with it. This isn't relegated to just SW, NW, or Avondale it's all over the metro both ITP and OTP. I think at some point eventually many of those SW neighborhoods and some of the NW neighborhoods will return back to what they originally were which was majority white neighborhoods. Here is recent post with a first hand account of what someone who lives in these neighborhoods encounters:

//www.city-data.com/forum/61363468-post102.html

Not the first time something like that has been posted on here. Post like that seem to get ignored for some reason.

Quote:
Remember when you made the unsubstantiated claim that residents in 30314 and 30310 don’t want white residents attending their public schools and how completely and egregiously false that statement was? I would hate for you to keep making similar mistakes over and over again.
The area isn't open to change. That is a fact. Otherwise there wouldn't be signs posted, facebook posts with extremely divisive posts about 'Legacy Residents' (the actual legacy residents in these neighborhoods are mostly all dead and buried in Westview Cemetery) Next Door posts about people moving in and 'changing' "their" neighborhood. We can go on for days. You simply don't see this kind of stuff in the NE neighborhoods.

Quote:
Lastly, again, if you want some racial context about the history of Avondale Estate, listen to the story in this link: Archive Atlanta: Avondale Estates
I know the history of Avondale.

Quote:
…and please don’t come with your lame “fake news” excuse. I explained that there is an Instragram page created by a white, far-right person posing as a black, “woke” page, and you were like, “It does not matter where the info is coming from…”
If you are talking about the ATL Scoop Instagram page I was a little late to the game on that one a former neighbor told me about it. What I told you is I don't care if Donald Trump himself is running the page the content posted on there is real. It isn't fake, made up, or doctored video. If the content is real it doesn't matter who is posting it and all the violent crime needs to be brought to light and stopped. Why are you against actual violent crime being exposed? That page can be a good resource for people to avoid certain areas like the shooting in Midtown a few weeks ago when streets were blocked off and impacting commutes etc. Who is running it doesn't matter as long as the content is real and not made up. That is what I told you.

Quote:
Yet when offering (or asking about) real contextualized facts, you suddenly can’t be bothered. I still believe that even you, who are so set in your rigid frame of thinking, can still learn a thing or two if you try.
Real facts like what is being posted to ATL Scoop? Real facts like racist and bigoted signs? I'm not the one ignoring those facts.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
My comment was more geared toward Avondale with regards to change but as I have told you before if people in SW Atlanta are not concerned with change why all the signs? Tell me. The fact that these bigoted and racist signs even exists tells us that the neighborhood is not very welcoming or inclusive to people that have a different skin color. The whole Merto Atlanta region is changing and there are some people who are having a hard time with it. This isn't relegated to just SW, NW, or Avondale it's all over the metro both ITP and OTP. I think at some point eventually many of those SW neighborhoods and some of the NW neighborhoods will return back to what they originally were which was majority white neighborhoods. Here is recent post with a first hand account of what someone who lives in these neighborhoods encounters:

//www.city-data.com/forum/61363468-post102.html

Not the first time something like that has been posted on here. Post like that seem to get ignored for some reason.

I know the history of Avondale.

The area isn't open to change. That is a fact. Otherwise there wouldn't be signs posted, facebook posts with extremely divisive posts about 'Legacy Residents' (the actual legacy residents in these neighborhoods are mostly all dead and buried in Westview Cemetery) Next Door posts about people moving in and 'changing' "their" neighborhood. We can go on for days. You simply don't see this kind of stuff in the NE neighborhoods.
1. What proof do you have that most people in these communities are not very welcoming or inclusive to people that have a different skin color than them (aside from these signs -- which can also be found in L5P near Candler Park and O4W)? I wonder how all my white neighbors (some who have been here longer than me) are coping with this travesty?

2. What proof do you have that people are having a hard time with the changing demographics? Is it the majority of residents or a few? I think they are more so against being exploited, than against white people.

3. You said that SW/NW Atlanta is going to be predominantly white, but (after praising it) you said that you would not feel comfortable living in KLB's neighborhood. I'm not saying that neighborhoods are not becoming diverse, but I think there is a whole lot of Atlanta that you are excluding from the equation.

4. The poster you linked had an unfortunate experience, but which neighborhood did he live in? It wasn't all of them. You know that there are at least 30 different neighborhoods in SW Atlanta alone (not including College Park and East Point), right? The one that that man lived in doesn't represent all the others -- nor do the people that he encountered. There was a recent shooting at a Kennesaw golf course. Should I avoid all of North Cobb now?

5. So there is nothing else for you to learn about Avondale Estates? You know everything there is to know?

6. First you say "some people" don't like change, then it turns into "the area" doesn't want change. What proof do you have that speaks to the entire area? The same FB/NextDoor examples also contain lots of anti-black, anti-poor sentiments as well. So I think it sort of goes both ways. Do you ever hang around the SW FB groups to see when these discussions that you mention are resolved? And why would a Candler Park residents search SW neighborhood NextDoor posts? You must have joined a whole bunch of them because MOST do not have language that you are describing at all.

For every neighborhood that you say has these "signs" and anti-white talk on social media, I can name ten or more in SW/NW Atlanta that do not. Do you see how painting with such a broad brush can be misleading?

Last edited by equinox63; 07-06-2021 at 11:06 AM..

Old 07-06-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
1. What proof do you have that most people in these communities are not very welcoming or inclusive to people that have a different skin color than them (aside from these signs -- which can also be found in L5P near Candler Park and O4W)? I wonder how all my white neighbors (some who have been here longer than me) are coping with this travesty?

What proof? The signs, social media posts, and post I linked on here are not enough for you? There are ZERO signs in L5P. Candler Park, or O4W that say:

do not sell your home to anyone who isn't white or vote the 'white slate'. They simply don't exist and if they did they would be immediately torn down and it would be the top story on Chanel 2, Channel 5, and Channel 46, AJC, etc.. The FBI would be called out for an extensive hate crime investigation. That mentality and attitude simply doesn't exist in NE Atlanta.

Quote:
2. What proof do you have that people are having a hard time with the changing demographics? Is it the majority of residents or a few? I think they are more so against being exploited, than against white people.
The signs are there for a reason. The aren't there to welcome new and different people to the neighborhood. Nobody is being exploited for their $400k + home.

Quote:
3. You said that SW/NW Atlanta is going to be predominantly white, but (after praising it) you said that you would not feel comfortable living in KLB's neighborhood. I'm not saying that neighborhoods are not becoming diverse, but I think there is a whole lot of Atlanta that you are excluding from the equation.
I think that in 15 years yes many of these neighborhoods will very likely/possibly be majority white which isn't a big deal because that is what they once were originally. It would be no different than Reynoldstown shifting back to majority black on the Eastside. Wouldn't be a big deal at all. There are certain trends right now in the Atlanta metro. The city core is becoming more white and Asian. The Suburbs are becoming more black and Latino. It's been going on for almost 20 years now. Nobody has "ownership" of any Atlanta neighborhood. People are free to move to where they want.

Quote:
4. The poster you linked had an unfortunate experience, but which neighborhood did he live in? It wasn't all of them. You know that there are at least 30 different neighborhoods in SW Atlanta alone (not including College Park and East Point), right? The one that that man lived in doesn't represent all the others -- nor do the people that he encountered. There was a recent shooting at a Kennesaw golf course. Should I avoid all of North Cobb now?
You asked for an example and I gave you one. Simple as that. I have other examples from co-workers that are pretty much verbatim to what that poster posted but unfortunately they don't post on here. Wouldn't matter if they did you wouldn't believe it anyway. I think the divisive rhetoric and signs make it clear to most what that actual thoughts are. College Park and East Point aren't part of the city of Atlanta.

Quote:
5. So there is nothing else for you to learn about Avondale Estates? You know everything there is to know?

Not really I mean in the grand scheme of things it is pretty insignificant to the city of Atlanta. It was once a suburb for working class people that had great schools and a pretty good football team. I don't see the big deal here. It's changing like a lot of the metro area is. Avondale is old news.

Quote:
6. First you say "some people" don't like change, then it turns into "the area" doesn't want change. What proof do you have that speaks to the entire area? The same FB/NextDoor examples also contain lots of anti-black, anti-poor sentiments as well. So I think it sort of goes both ways. Do you ever hang around the SW FB groups to see when these discussions that you mention are resolved? And why would a Candler Park residents search SW neighborhood NextDoor posts? You must have joined a whole bunch of them because MOST do not have language that you are describing at all.
It's actually both. People that care about race so much that they take the time to make signs and put them up have some severe racial problems/insecurities wouldn't you say? People that do such are racists. Period. It was wrong in the 1950's and 1960's and it is wrong now. Or do you think it was wrong then but OK now because you think some people are being 'exploited'? I got news for you it is very wrong in both instances. Using the crutch of supposed exploitation doesn't change anything. You are trying to excuse bigotry with language like that. There are still plenty of poor white people or white people on fixed incomes in the city. We have several in the surrounding streets that are elderly widowers and we try to help them when we can as I am sure people on the SW side do as well. Being poor or on a fixed income isn't exclusive to SW Atlanta.

Quote:
For every neighborhood that you say has these "signs" and anti-white talk on social media, I can name ten or more in SW/NW Atlanta that do not. Do you see how painting with such a broad brush can be misleading?
Cool story but I can name ZERO neighborhoods in my part of the city that have signs that say don't sell your home to anyone that isn't white and "vote the white slate". I think I will stay in the neighborhoods that don't support bigotry and divisiveness based on skin color. Why aren't the citizens who don't agree with this bigotry tearing these signs down? That speaks volumes to me. I'd tear down a sign in a New York second if I came across one in my neighborhood.

Last edited by ronricks; 07-06-2021 at 12:06 PM..

Old 07-06-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
What proof? The signs, social media posts, and post I linked on here are not enough for you? There are ZERO signs in L5P. Candler Park, or O4W that say:

do not sell your home to anyone who isn't white or vote the 'white slate'. They simply don't exist and if they did they would be immediately torn down and it would be the top story on Chanel 2, Channel 5, and Channel 46, AJC, etc.. The FBI would be called out for an extensive hate crime investigation. That mentality and attitude simply doesn't exist in NE Atlanta.

The signs are there for a reason. The aren't there to welcome new and different people to the neighborhood. Nobody is being exploited for their $400k + home.

I think that in 15 years yes many of these neighborhoods will very likely/possibly be majority white which isn't a big deal because that is what they once were originally. It would be no different than Reynoldstown shifting back to majority black on the Eastside. Wouldn't be a big deal at all. There are certain trends right now in the Atlanta metro. The city core is becoming more white and Asian. The Suburbs are becoming more black and Latino. It's been going on for almost 20 years now. Nobody has "ownership" of any Atlanta neighborhood. People are free to move to where they want.

You asked for an example and I gave you one. Simple as that. I have other examples from co-workers that are pretty much verbatim to what that poster posted but unfortunately they don't post on here. Wouldn't matter if they did you wouldn't believe it anyway. I think the divisive rhetoric and signs make it clear to most what that actual thoughts are. College Park and East Point aren't part of the city of Atlanta.

Not really I mean in the grand scheme of things it is pretty insignificant to the city of Atlanta. It was once a suburb for working class people that had great schools and a pretty good football team. I don't see the big deal here. It's changing like a lot of the metro area is. Avondale is old news.

It's actually both. People that care about race so much that they take the time to make signs and put them up have some severe racial problems/insecurities wouldn't you say? People that do such are racists. Period. It was wrong in the 1950's and 1960's and it is wrong now. Or do you think it was wrong then but OK now because you think some people are being 'exploited'? I got news for you it is very wrong in both instances. Using the crutch of supposed exploitation doesn't change anything. You are trying to excuse bigotry with language like that. There are still plenty of poor white people or white people on fixed incomes in the city. We have several in the surrounding streets that are elderly widowers and we try to help them when we can as I am sure people on the SW side do as well. Being poor or on a fixed income isn't exclusive to SW Atlanta.

Cool story but I can name ZERO neighborhoods in my part of the city that have signs that say don't sell your home to anyone that isn't white and "vote the white slate". I think I will stay in the neighborhoods that don't support bigotry and divisiveness based on skin color. Why aren't the citizens who don't agree with this bigotry tearing these signs down? That speaks volumes to me. I'd tear down a sign in a New York second if I came across one in my neighborhood.
This conversation is becoming ridiculous. No one even knows who made the signs you are referring to or when.

Just post the pictures.

And while you’re in the SWATS, make sure to go ahead and drop by the Westside Beltline Trail. You can park at Monday Night Brewery. Make sure to let us know about all the racism and bigotry that you see there. You and your wife can take a stroll down to Adair Park. You may see families of multiple backgrounds there. It is really amazing how they are somehow dealing with the sheer intolerance they encounter amongst each other.

Or perhaps you can grab some food at Boxcar. The white people you see there will be trying extra hard to hide their fear and suffering.

For a real, in-depth, firsthand account, you could actually take the Beltline all the way to Washington Park. Make sure to let us know about all the bigotry that you experience on the way there.

Go ahead and ride through Westview and into the Lionel Hampton Trail. It’s mostly just middle-class homes in an established neighborhood, but I’m sure you’ll be ready in case a random shoot out pops off.

During your quest to point out the racism and intolerance that is so prevalent in SW Atlanta, be sure to drop by the Cascade Nature Preserve and neighborhoods like Cascade Heights, Audubon Forest, & Adams Park. Make sure to take note of all the bigotry you encounter there. Don’t forget Niskey Lake as well.

One thing though. During your visit, remember to make a note of where you see these “signs” in relation to the various neighborhoods that I mentioned.

I know it would be hard for you to not be compelled to rip down old tattered light pole signs in Lindbergh even though you live in Candler Park. Because you know if you see something in NE Atlanta, it speaks to every neighborhood within that quadrant and all those who live in it.

God forbid there’s a “Buy Black” sign on Bankhead. That would mean all those poor Howell Mill/West Buckhead residents would have to deal with all racism and bigotry in the NW quadrant of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta