Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:13 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What is the answer? Because Atlanta is not unique in the U.S. for criminal activity, so if you have a secret to solving this problem then you should share it.
Not knowing the answer to a problem is a poor excuse to simply accepting it as unavoidable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 06:39 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
What is the answer? Because Atlanta is not unique in the U.S. for criminal activity, so if you have a secret to solving this problem then you should share it.
If this is our only problem we are doing great. Chicago has 82 shootings in 84 hours last weekend. I will take our crime anyday

Old 07-10-2014, 07:51 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Damn, I go here once a week but never park in the deck. I always feel pretty safe in inman park I might need to keep my head on a swivel more.
This is America, always keep your head on a swivel, even in the northern suburbs.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:00 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,099,687 times
I hate to say it but Atlanta has some of the most non street smart people of any of the top 10 major cities.
Crime here is so overblown. People act like the city is full of cut throat criminals when actually the city is just full of easy marks.

Maybe its because Atlanta is a new city so the "street savvy swag" hasn't caught up with our growth yet, but either way I am pretty sure that if more people had just an ounce of street smarts you wouldn't see a lot of these types of stories.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:44 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I hate to say it but Atlanta has some of the most non street smart people of any of the top 10 major cities.
Crime here is so overblown. People act like the city is full of cut throat criminals when actually the city is just full of easy marks.

Maybe its because Atlanta is a new city so the "street savvy swag" hasn't caught up with our growth yet, but either way I am pretty sure that if more people had just an ounce of street smarts you wouldn't see a lot of these types of stories.
I agree. A lot of our crime is smash and grabs that wouldn't happen is people wouldn't leave laptop bags, brief cases, electric guitars, and other valuables sitting in plain view in their back seats.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:18 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Not knowing the answer to a problem is a poor excuse to simply accepting it as unavoidable.
One of the problems here is there seem to be a lot of people with that type of attitude. It is "accepted" as part of living in the city. That attitude isn't as prevalent everywhere. And so things get done.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,618 times
I am the victim. No, I did not have my gun with me.
Please think twice before regurgitating "facts". Whoever said that is clearly no real friend of mine

I have taken self defense classes including tactical pistol training. I was 100 percent aware of my surroundings, was not on the phone/corralling children and holding my keys in a defensive position. This person was hiding behind the car next to me. I was punched in the side of the head and completely blindsided.

I'm sorry, but I'm very angry with the people who insinuate that a
Victim could have done something more to protect themselves.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMachine View Post
I live equal distance between this shopping complex and a similar one. I have started, more often than not, going to the other shopping area instead. For what it's worth I always feel perfectly comfortable when I am at Edgewood, but the reports are troubling.
Are people going to let the thugs win?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 AM

124 posts, read 152,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
One of the problems here is there seem to be a lot of people with that type of attitude. It is "accepted" as part of living in the city. That attitude isn't as prevalent everywhere. And so things get done.
Agree 100%

This attitude that crime is pervasive and is just a part of city living is a huge part of the problem. Most decent metros in the US dont accept this and there is no reason we should either.

As demographics continue to shift in Atlanta I do think we will see less acceptance of this level of crime and less acceptance of the current level of policing.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:12 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkcity View Post
I am the victim. No, I did not have my gun with me.
Please think twice before regurgitating "facts". Whoever said that is clearly no real friend of mine
Someone on Reddit who calls him/herself "read-the-article" said this: "This was a friend of my family. To make things worse, her handgun was in the vehicle when it was stolen."

This is where I got the idea that you had a gun in the car.

I'm sorry you were ambushed, and glad that you were not more seriously injured or killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta