Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times

Advertisements

I bought a car in SC last year. Because I lived in GA I paid ZERO sales tax in SC, and in fact the check I wrote was EXACTLY the negotiated sticker price minus my down payment.

A couple of weeks later, I got a call from my local tag office in Georgia saying they'd received the paperwork from the delearship in SC. I went in the next day, paid my GA sales tax and received my tag.

This year when my tag was up for renewal, I paid $20 and got the little sticker.

I was not a big fan of the do-away with ad valorem tax at first, but now that I realize I'll never have to pay any more tax on the value of this car, I understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 06:25 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I bought a car in SC last year. Because I lived in GA I paid ZERO sales tax in SC, and in fact the check I wrote was EXACTLY the negotiated sticker price minus my down payment.

A couple of weeks later, I got a call from my local tag office in Georgia saying they'd received the paperwork from the delearship in SC. I went in the next day, paid my GA sales tax and received my tag.

This year when my tag was up for renewal, I paid $20 and got the little sticker.

I was not a big fan of the do-away with ad valorem tax at first, but now that I realize I'll never have to pay any more tax on the value of this car, I understand.
I don't think that's how it's supposed to work. GA should have required the tax to be collected at the time of purchase on the value of the car or you should have received a bill before getting your tag. You shouldn't be paying sales tax in SC for the car but the fact you paid taxes nowhere isn't kosher.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
I don't think that's how it's supposed to work. GA should have required the tax to be collected at the time of purchase on the value of the car or you should have received a bill before getting your tag. You shouldn't be paying sales tax in SC for the car but the fact you paid taxes nowhere isn't kosher.

He did pay the tag tax bill before he got his tag, if I'm reading correctly. He just waited for the dealer in SC to send the paperwork to his local tag office. Same procedure that happens here in GA except if he bought from a GA dealer, he could roll the taxes into his financed amount instead of paying out pocket (I know, he paid via check for his car).

Old 07-24-2014, 09:37 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

He did pay the tag tax bill before he got his tag, if I'm reading correctly. He just waited for the dealer in SC to send the paperwork to his local tag office. Same procedure that happens here in GA except if he bought from a GA dealer, he could roll the taxes into his financed amount instead of paying out pocket (I know, he paid via check for his car).
My work addled mind didn't catch the sales tax line. Everything is as it should be. That said apparently this is no longer considered sales tax and is no longer tax deductible much to my chagrin. Definitely benefits those who hold onto their cars for much longer vs. those who change cars frequently (not that it was cheap to do that anyway).

He does say he has a down payment so he didn't finance the tax amount.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:48 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
My work addled mind didn't catch the sales tax line. Everything is as it should be. That said apparently this is no longer considered sales tax and is no longer tax deductible much to my chagrin. Definitely benefits those who hold onto their cars for much longer vs. those who change cars frequently (not that it was cheap to do that anyway).

He does say he has a down payment so he didn't finance the tax amount.
This is correct. For whatever reason, automobiles are the one purchase upon which you pay sales tax based on PLACE OF RESIDENCE, not where you purchase the car. I suppose this is because people would abuse the system and cross state and county lines to make auto purchases, and local governments would never get their fair share of taxes.

Anyway, I purchased this car in March 2013 -- the same month that Georgia did away with the ad valorem tax and replaced it with the one-time sales tax. If I recall, there was some confusion at the SC dealership about how to handle the transaction, but since they do about half their business with Georgia residents, it wasn't a big deal. I have to admit, I was somewhat surprised that there were ZERO taxes and fees for purchasing this car in SC. And then the tax bill I got from Chatham County, GA (where I live) ended up being significantly lower than what the SC dealership predicted. In fact, I double questioned the lady at the tag office to make sure it was correct. She assured me that it was.

As I said before, when I went to renew my tag in March of this year, all I paid was $20 for the decal. It should also be noted that I bought an economy car, used, and not some souped-up luxury model.

Basically, the rule of thumb is, when you go car shopping, be fully aware of the fact that you'll be paying ALL taxes up front on whatever model you decide on. Depending on your taste, this can add just a few hundred dollars to the purchase -- or several thousand.

I do think this new system totally screws people who relocate to the state with NEW cars. But if you're driving a late-model car, your out-of-pocket expenses for transferring a car to Georgia shouldn't be that much. And remember, you'll NEVER pay tax on that car again, as long as you own it in Georgia.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:07 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,235 times
When we GA residents buy the vehicle, do we pay this sales/registration tax as part of the purchase at the dealership or at a later time when we register it at the DMV?

Old 07-25-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
When we GA residents buy the vehicle, do we pay this sales/registration tax as part of the purchase at the dealership or at a later time when we register it at the DMV?
Part of the purchase, if you are financing. If you are paying cash, you can just wait to pay at the tag office or let the dealer do the paperwork for you.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:49 AM

296 posts, read 439,127 times
Sorry to re-ignite this discussion, so is it financially a good idea to buy a car in SC for a new GA resident? i.e. can you save some pennies? If not, why have people gone on to buy one in SC then?

Also, to reconfirm - the tax that one must pay now is a one-off tax determined every year (6.75% for 2014) each time you purchase a car regardless of who your purchase it from - privately or a dealer + registration cost + cost of tags. And then each subsequent year you own that very same car you are paying registration cost + the cost of tags. And if you were to buy another car -again the same transaction as the first time? Correct?

Thank you

Old 07-31-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
=Wayr2go;35887497]Sorry to re-ignite this discussion, so is it financially a good idea to buy a car in SC for a new GA resident? i.e. can you save some pennies? If not, why have people gone on to buy one in SC then?
It will depend on the deal. The tax is calculated on new cars on the purchase price. Used cars, I believe, they use the KBB or some other # to come up with Title tax amount and/or the purchase price.
Quote:
Also, to reconfirm - the tax that one must pay now is a one-off tax determined every year (6.75% for 2014) each time you purchase a car regardless of who your purchase it from - privately or a dealer + registration cost + cost of tags. And then each subsequent year you own that very same car you are paying registration cost + the cost of tags. And if you were to buy another car -again the same transaction as the first time? Correct?

Thank you
No registration cost. Just Tax+cost of tags.

Correct, on your birthday day, you will just pay the $20 for new sticker. No registration cost.

Only thing, you should have to pay is emissions, if you are in the Atlanta area and the tag fee. That's it.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:15 PM

296 posts, read 439,127 times
so its just 6.75% of the appropriate price (in 2014) + tags for first time registration ?

Also, how is buying in SC financially beneficial ? Curious to know since apparently SC does not have a sales tax or something. So from my understanding unless you can negoatiate a better sticker price in SC, there makes little sense to buy there and register in GA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: