Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:59 AM

81 posts, read 92,164 times

Advertisements

I wish I had read this thread before I moved here! I leased my car from Acura in Nov 2013 and was shocked when I learned I would have to pay a GA sales tax of $1800+ when I moved here in February!!!!!!! Hell no...so yesterday I went online and renewed my TX tag for $67 and will continue to do so until it's time for me to get another car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 08:25 AM

265 posts, read 402,141 times
This is awful!! I am probably going to be moving to Georgia soon and I just saw this thread. My wife and I currently have 2 vehicles registered in FL and we were thinking about taking them both back to the dealership, selling the one I own outright, returning the one we are leasing, and starting a new lease on a new car. But now I'm hesitant, even though I haven't been offered the job in Atlanta yet.

Does anyone know if it would be a viable option to do the same thing I just described above but with a VW dealership in Atlanta? I understand that it's all financed through VW Credit, all around the country, regardless of state, so it makes me wonder if that's an option? I guess I'll have to contact VW about that. What an awful law that is!! I can understand implementing it for people who buy cars in places with no sales tax, but here in Florida we already paid 7% sales tax on those vehicles, so it just feels like robbery to me. I'll totally keep a FL registration if I need to, but I wanted to be 100% legit after moving there.

Boo.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:31 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times
Yes, I think the best bet is to hold off on buying a car. Thanks for all who provided good info in this thread.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:03 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Yes, I think the best bet is to hold off on buying a car. Thanks for all who provided good info in this thread.
Buy it. Just add someone to your policy with a Cali address

Old 09-12-2014, 11:21 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Blaze View Post
I wish I had read this thread before I moved here! I leased my car from Acura in Nov 2013 and was shocked when I learned I would have to pay a GA sales tax of $1800+ when I moved here in February!!!!!!! Hell no...so yesterday I went online and renewed my TX tag for $67 and will continue to do so until it's time for me to get another car.
You would have been paying a couple hundred bucks a year under the old system to have it registered here anyways.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:11 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Buy it. Just add someone to your policy with a Cali address
I don't understand this. Are you talking about insurance policy? What has that got to do with sales tax?

Old 09-12-2014, 01:21 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I don't understand this. Are you talking about insurance policy? What has that got to do with sales tax?

In the counties in Metro Atlanta your car has to be inspected once a year. I don't have time for that so I added a family member to my policy based in South Ga. In South Ga they do not require the once a year inspection. I refuse register my car in Metro Atlanta

Old 09-15-2014, 04:29 PM

18 posts, read 28,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Keep your old tag and just add someone name onto your policy from your current city
So if I just have someone else listed on my insurance policy (like my Dad or something) I wouldn't have to register the car in GA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: