Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 03:18 PM

858 posts, read 1,382,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Heck - when I lived in midtown, we'd drive to Costco to hoard supplies, as did most of the families who were/are friends of mine. Now that I live in the burbs, I find myself going to Costco much less often (nicer and more convenient groceries out here, oddly). But, let me tell you, when you have to buy supplies for a family of 5, using a car is required! No cart is large enough to carry all of the stuff!
If I quadrupled the amount of stuff I bought every few days, I could easily use a cart to take it home, so I'm not convinced... but I digress

Midtown does desperately need more retail. There's a new Ace Hardware coming to Skyhouse South... that's a good start. I'm sure things will change as the population grows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 03:36 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,130,048 times
"Buckhead" (as opposed to "Bulkhead"). Yes, it is city of Atlanta and no it is not it's own entity...nor is it considered it's own entity (Buckhead homeowner here). It is simply a neighborhood within city of Atlanta limits, no different than numerous other neighborhoods (e.g., Druid Hills, Ormewood, Cabbagetown, West Midtown, Midtown, Ansley Park, Virginia Highland, Grant Park, etc.). The thing that distinguishes Buckhead is that there is a huge commercial sector within the neighborhood (two major malls, one arguably the upscale/designer store mall for the metro - Phipps Plaza, lots of restaurants and stores, etc.). The rents here are high and the purchase prices are higher. It's a high rent district, basically. But so is Ansley Park and Druid Hills, as purchasing goes, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_IN_AUG View Post
What is "Intown"? Does this refer to the area simply inside 285?

Bulkhead is considered Atlanta still right? I read that it is in the city limits, but people generally consider its own entity.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:48 PM

This thread is so interesting and I agree. I think humans are really very similar in what we are generally looking for. I say this because the reasons that I like living in Buckhead are THE SAME reasons that people cite for living in their respective suburban communities - the greenspace, parks, proximity to amenities of interest, low traffic, nice yards/greenery, safety, good schools, nice people. I would add to that that I wanted a place where my son could experience racial and socio-economic diversity. Surprisingly, all of that exists in the intown communities of Atlanta too. Atlanta is actually very unique in that so many intown communities actually have quite a suburban feel with decent sized yards, grocery stores everywhere, lots of parks (in fact, when I lived in the suburbs, I complained all the time that I had to take my baby-now-toddler on a 10 minute drive to find the nearest park...in the suburbs)! Now there are five major parks (Chastain, Piedmont, and about three others) within a few miles of me so it's much nicer for me. Point being it is very intriguing to me that we are all basically looking for the same things in choosing where we live but coming up with different locations. Very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
I think a lot of that comes from outdated perceptions. Most cities were garbage in the 80s/90s and suburbs were much better. That's changed a lot recently, but perceptions haven't caught up.

The idea that it's noisy, crowded, dangerous, etc. is just silly... there are a lot of very safe areas in town, and there are also a lot of quiet, family-friendly neighborhoods with yards and everything. You're going to pay more for them than you would in the suburbs, of course, but it's not like they don't exist. It's not all skyscrapers, gunshots, and sirens down here.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
"Buckhead" (as opposed to "Bulkhead"). Yes, it is city of Atlanta and no it is not it's own entity...nor is it considered it's own entity (Buckhead homeowner here). It is simply a neighborhood within city of Atlanta limits, no different than numerous other neighborhoods (e.g., Druid Hills, Ormewood, Cabbagetown, West Midtown, Midtown, Ansley Park, Virginia Highland, Grant Park, etc.). The thing that distinguishes Buckhead is that there is a huge commercial sector within the neighborhood (two major malls, one arguably the upscale/designer store mall for the metro - Phipps Plaza, lots of restaurants and stores, etc.). The rents here are high and the purchase prices are higher. It's a high rent district, basically. But so is Ansley Park and Druid Hills, as purchasing goes, for example.
I don't know about that... it's technically part of Atlanta, but it feels more like an edge city, especially with the CBD being so far from the core. They kind of do their own thing up there.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:54 PM

I have a grocery store about one block away and I still drive. That's because I suffer from the same phenom that many Americans suffer from - laziness. I visited Europe once and we walked a good 2 miles a day. There is a reason they are much thinner than us. That, and they have to be able to get into those tiny cars! LOL.

But seriously, I have a cart but I'm kind of concerned about crossing Peachtree on foot. Just am. Sorry.

Quote:
If I quadrupled the amount of stuff I bought every few days, I could easily use a cart to take it home, so I'm not convinced... but I digress

Midtown does desperately need more retail. There's a new Ace Hardware coming to Skyhouse South... that's a good start. I'm sure things will change as the population grows.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:55 PM

32,004 posts, read 36,637,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It sounds nice on paper, but how do you get a week of groceries and carry them home without a car? How do you do a Costco run? How do you buy a TV? I wouldn't even be able to haul my monthly 26 lb. bag of dog food home without a car. What about when it's raining? Or 90 degrees?

I understand the concept of walkability, and I think the idea of walking to restaurants, bars, concerts and stuff is great. It's awesome, I totally wish I could do it!

But from a pragmatic standpoint, walking to do errands just isn't the best way to get many of them done. Plus, it severely limits your choices.

Of course, I'm probably lazy. Even when I lived less than half a mile from a MARTA station, I still usually drove there and parked in the lot rather than hoof it!
We intowners have developed a different sensibility. It's simply not that hard to carry home a freshly baked baguette, a slice of cheese and whatever fresh vegetable happens to be in the local market. On occasion we may pick up a fresh fish or a bottle of wine but these are not major burdens. If necessary we simply hop on our bikes or take the local streetcar. The exercise keeps us nice and slim as well.

Yet somehow we still find ample time for reading, attending the symphony or visiting with friends in one of the many pubs that line our streets.

It's just a different world here in the city.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Huh? Who are "they"? (I live in Buckhead) and what do you mean we do our "own thing" up here. To what are you referring? I'm baffled. And what is a CBD?
Quote:
I don't know about that... it's technically part of Atlanta, but it feels more like an edge city, especially with the CBD being so far from the core. They kind of do their own thing up there.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Huh? Who are "they"? (I live in Buckhead) and what do you mean we do our "own thing" up here. To what are you referring? I'm baffled. And what is a CBD?
Central business district, and I don't live in Buckhead, hence people in Buckhead are "they."

I just mean its core is separated from Atlanta's core. That's pretty obvious by looking at a map or driving down 400. It's just an opinion, and you don't have to agree with it... but to answer the OP's question, do people generally consider it its own entity? Yeah, I'd say they do. I certainly do, and so do a lot of others. I don't know too many Buckhead residents who spend a lot of time in Midtown/Downtown, or vice versa. It's not an unreasonable statement to make even if everyone doesn't always agree with it.

Check out this article which has some varying definitions of "intown Atlanta."

Intown Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Buckhead is excluded from this definition of "intown", considered a separate area due to its size, importance and physical distance from Downtown Atlanta
I tend to think along the lines of this map:

Old 07-18-2014, 04:55 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,005,746 times
Quote:
I don't know too many Buckhead residents who spend a lot of time in Midtown/Downtown, or vice versa
Who do you know in Buckhead?

When I lived there, I was in midtown ALL THE TIME. I could ride my bike to Piedmont Park, and did so a few times. But it was a 5-10 minute drive away, so I was always running around midtown...not so much downtown, because there's no real reason to go there, except to work.

It never occurred to me that anybody would not consider Buckhead intown. It's in the city limits, it's been around forever, it's pretty hardcore Atlanta as far as I'm concerned. I don't get how Buckhead wouldn't be considered intown, but I guess there's no official definition, so everybody is entitled to their own.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I guess there's no official definition, so everybody is entitled to their own.
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta