Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:57 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times

Advertisements

Looks kind of "squatty" for 50 floors???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 09:59 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
50 floors is respectable. Will make a nice addition to the Perimeter area.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:34 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
It makes sense why these companies want to build next to the suburban MARTA stations. They can attract workers from the northern suburbs who want to drive and those living intown who want to take the train. But it's weird for a 50 story tower to be this far from the core.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:09 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why not, cq? This development already has three towers totaling 1.5 million sf. With a location adjacent to 400 and on top of a MARTA station this would seem like a great place for high density office.
Correct me if I'm assuming wrong CQ...

I think the argument isn't about the total square footage. There's a tone of square footage in the area in lower, wider buildings.

I think he is stating the area might be slow to create a precedence that will allow developers to start building taller, more visible skyscrapers vs. the more visibly modest towers and campuses that exist currently.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:45 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
A 50-story speculative office tower? Yeah right ... In your dreams, Bud.
Hines built the 64 story Williams Tower (formerly Transco Tower) outside Loop 610 in the Galleria area in Houston many years ago. So he has experience with big buildings outside downtown areas.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:38 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
With as much activity as Perimeter keeps bringing in, there needs to be more density there, so this is good.

I work right next to the Sandy Springs station and that location is critical to a lot of our international employees who might not have a car or US license.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:36 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
I think it's too late for this. There is really no effective office shortage in the Perimeter Center because Cumberland is absorbing the overflow, and already building a ton of office going up right now - including 20 story and 5 story offices going up in Cumberland right now, and more coming for the Braves development. There could be too much being constructed for this building to become fully occupied. Additionally, the 400 interchange construction could scare potential tenants away. This could just end up hurting the Perimeter Center office market. I'm a big fan of building appropriate-sized developments, and increasing density and walkability versus just throwing up skyscrapers that depress the surrounding area and take a huge chunk out of the urban landscape. Look at the damage that the World Trade Center buildings did to the lower Manhatten market until they were knocked down by airplanes.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:22 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I think it's too late for this. There is really no effective office shortage in the Perimeter Center because Cumberland is absorbing the overflow, and already building a ton of office going up right now - including 20 story and 5 story offices going up in Cumberland right now, and more coming for the Braves development. There could be too much being constructed for this building to become fully occupied. Additionally, the 400 interchange construction could scare potential tenants away. This could just end up hurting the Perimeter Center office market. I'm a big fan of building appropriate-sized developments, and increasing density and walkability versus just throwing up skyscrapers that depress the surrounding area and take a huge chunk out of the urban landscape. Look at the damage that the World Trade Center buildings did to the lower Manhatten market until they were knocked down by airplanes.
There is a huge difference between Cumberland and Perimeter. MARTA serves Perimeter and it has easy access to north Fulton.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
If a big company wants to have its employees under one roof I don't see any problem with a 50 story building. They have done a good job of including road access, transit and elbow room.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:11 AM

858 posts, read 1,385,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I think it's too late for this. There is really no effective office shortage in the Perimeter Center because Cumberland is absorbing the overflow.
Perimeter is outperforming Cumberland by every measure this year. It has 15% vacancy (compared to Cumberland's 19%), and has had several times more absorption despite the higher rent.

http://www.ngkf.com/Uploads/FileMana...t%20Report.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta