Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:51 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Matt, there is not a whit of difference. At all.
Then explain it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Why is that a problem? Like the freedom to violate the law???
Too many times these systems issue tickets that weren't actually deserved. Like the bicyclist it said was doing 56mph in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 08:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
No thanks and I've paid my fees to the state of MD.

First, they went after the school zones and the safety of children and it's gone left since then. Now, they have cameras in construction zones on the interstate and you can barely drive anywhere in the city because its a school near almost every street so its a constant freak out because people are scared to get a ticket.

Another issue was the calibrating of the radar/laser in the camera so folks were getting tickets with wrong information.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:07 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
No thanks! They increase accidents because people either slam on their brakes or put the pedal to the metal in an effort to avoid a ticket. The only thing they're good for is making money for the company that manages them and the corrupt government that allows them.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:07 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Speed cameras do not slow people down. They'll slam their brakes and drive 10 mph under the limit, disrupting the flow of traffic and then resume their speed.

You want to see how effective red light cameras are? Here you go.
Those videos are an indictment of careless, idiotic drivers, not traffic cameras.

Idiots will be idiots no matter what, but that doesn't mean we all throw up our hands and abandon enforcement.

Personally I'm in favor of just about anything that slows down aggressive, speeding drivers. They are Public Enemy Numero Uno.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
No thanks and I've paid my fees to the state of MD.

First, they went after the school zones and the safety of children and it's gone left since then. Now, they have cameras in construction zones on the interstate and you can barely drive anywhere in the city because its a school near almost every street so its a constant freak out because people are scared to get a ticket.

Another issue was the calibrating of the radar/laser in the camera so folks were getting tickets with wrong information.
There's going to be a certain amount of collateral damage with any enforcement technique. No technology is perfect and live police officers make mistakes, too.

Why do we have instant replay at sporting events? Because refs and umps make mistakes.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
GPS knows the road you are on and through databases knows the speed limit. It should not be that hard to have a computer in the car limit your speed to the speed limit posted. I would be for that.
Fantastic idea, Golfer! I would support that, too!!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:56 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Then explain it.

Too many times these systems issue tickets that weren't actually deserved. Like the bicyclist it said was doing 56mph in the article.
I'm reading this back and forth and I think the burden should be on you to explain it.

We have intersection cameras and no one has challenged them successfully in court on those basis.

Additionally, this equipment vs human thing is a distraction.

You're accuser is still the people operating the camera if you take it to court, they can still show up.

Im pretty happy with red light cameras.

I have two comments referencing speed cameras. I don't want them everywhere, but... there are those few areas where people should be going reliably within the speed limit without hitting their brakes. For example inside a congested area where there is a reasonable speed limit. Not the first few lights entering the area.

For freeways they have systems where there are two sets of cameras and they capture your license plate, then rather than using radar the two cameras calculate how long it took you to travel half a mile, 1 mile, or miles. There is no calibration error and no slamming breaks. It is a prolonged awareness of how fast you're constantly going. It is more common on freeways and sometimes used in conjunction with those changeable speed limit signs. The idea is its not a single point enforcement, but the way people drive over along distance is what is important.

I'm not bullish on them really, but I can see how they could be used in good ways is placed carefully and not put -everywhere-

Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,281 times
[quote=arjay57;35764248]With all the speeding and aggressive driving that goes on in this town you have to wonder why we don't have more speed cameras. I would support them.

Growing number of Maryland municipalities using speed cameras - The Washington Post[/quote

We do not need any other type of cameras monitoring everything we do! We have enough eyes watching us already!

Red light cameras cause more accidents than they prevent (Red-Light Camera Backlash: Are They Causing Accidents? - ABC News) and they are not cost effective. I am sure speed cameras would cause the same effect and what if you are ticketed unjustly? How would you be able to prove it?

Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
It is pretty easy to appeal in Maryland and get the ticket dropped but most folks just pay the ticket since its only $40.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:35 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It is pretty easy to appeal in Maryland and get the ticket dropped but most folks just pay the ticket since its only $40.
This is what they are hoping for.

In Scottsdale, I got a red light ticket. They have some weird law that makes them serve you the ticket at your house or something.

I tracked my ticket online and it fell off as I'm out of state.

However, I also got a camera speeding ticket in Scottsdale years earlier and the rental company ended up getting the fine and charged my card.

I've heard they have gotten rid of the speeding cameras. Red light cam was just a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta