Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times

Advertisements

Of all the large metro first world problems.... I hate to see someone have to explain why their metro area doesn't have a major league baseball team. How awful that must be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 06:25 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
I went to Turner Field for the first time in years yesterday. After about 5 minutes, I was reminded why I stopped going. That stadium has the worst atmosphere of any ballpark I've been to since the days of the cookie-cutter multipurpose stadiums. The last few stadiums I've visited, Fenway, PNC, Yankee, Camden Yards are incredible. Turner Field is just a dump of a stadium with dark, dirty concourses and is about 15,000 seats too big for the Braves fanbase. Overall, the atmosphere is just awful. The new stadium's pictures aren't that promising, but I really hope they get this right.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:34 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
bryantm3 - I have one of those shirts. They are popular, ever time I wear it out I get 10 people who ask where they can buy one.

AuburnAL - The author never said his kid played soccer. Of course hopefully he does teach his kid a real sport like soccer instead of one where you put on a helmet and stand around for 9 innings (with stretch in between of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
This is a rant from a fan with little factual information. The stadium is falling apart and Cobb does have mass transit.
17 year old Turner Field is not falling apart. And you are not getting to Cobb on transit from where he is in less than an hour and a half or two. Not happening on a weeknight. Plus CCT ends at 10pm. Hope there are no extra innings.

I feel like Cobb-folks just continue to grasp at straws to justify this terrible idea.

Last edited by jsvh; 07-28-2014 at 06:44 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 06:43 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Stay classy jsvh

Old 07-28-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Stay classy jsvh
You better believe it.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:28 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripTychTwo View Post
Of course you would think this way. You are telling me a father does not have aspirations to share his passions with his young son as the son grows up? You think it is bogus that he believes it will be more difficult to attend the games with a young child based on the travel time in a car? Just because he has not been able to share that time with his child, does not mean he's not disappointed in the notion that now it will be more difficult for him to do so.
Okay, but it still sounds pretty hokey to me. I've been going to ballgames with family members since the 1950s and MARTA trains have never been a major part of the nostalgia package. Different strokes, I guess.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Okay, but it still sounds pretty hokey to me. I've been going to ballgames with family members since the 1950s and MARTA trains have never been a major part of the nostalgia package. Different strokes, I guess.
The best stadiums are built on train lines and how most of the fans get to the game. Just look at Fenway or Wrigley.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:43 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The best stadiums are built on train lines and how most of the fans get to the game. Just look at Fenway or Wrigley.
And that's (lack of rail transit) where the Braves screwed up with Olympic Stadium/the Ted, and are going to repeat that mistake with the Cobb stadium. Add a MARTA stop to the Cobb Parkway/Windy Ridge intersection and half of the complaints about gameday traffic/parking go away.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:45 PM

559 posts, read 832,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
. . . or the Yankee's $1.5 billion stadium right off the B and D trains.

If only MARTA would come to Cumberland, the Cobb Braves would be perfect.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:48 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's not so much the trains being part of the "nostalgia package" as you put it, but just getting to the stadium with minimal hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
And that's (lack of rail transit) where the Braves screwed up with Olympic Stadium/the Ted, and are going to repeat that mistake with the Cobb stadium. Add a MARTA stop to the Cobb Parkway/Windy Ridge intersection and half of the complaints about gameday traffic/parking go away.
This, exactly this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta