Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:50 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Get it??? The Conservancy had no choice. THE PARK IS OWNED BY THE CITY!
Settle down. The conservancy might not have gotten theior way, but of course they had a choice. As I have already pointed out repeatedly, the City will listen to the Conservancy (especially when they allign themselves with the NPU, MNA, etc.). To suggest otherwise shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how city governments work. The Conservancy needs to keep their eye on the ball. They didn't do that last year. Maybe some fresh blood is needed in that organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 07:05 AM

368 posts, read 539,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There are 2 MARTA stations around 1 mile from the park, several bus routes, and the Eastside Trail. Why do so many people insist on driving to an area they know has little parking?
Also, if people really want to drive, they can park in the massive garage at Atlantic Station and take the free shuttle over to Midtown. Easy.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:57 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,038 times
"Residents in the park neighborhood can voice their opinions at a meeting being held at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Peachtree Christian Church (1580 Peachtree St. N.E.)..."

Full Story: Music Midtown: Midtown Neighbors reject traffic plan | The Music Scene | www.accessatlanta.com

Old 08-05-2014, 10:02 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Settle down. The conservancy might not have gotten theior way, but of course they had a choice. As I have already pointed out repeatedly, the City will listen to the Conservancy (especially when they allign themselves with the NPU, MNA, etc.). To suggest otherwise shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how city governments work. The Conservancy needs to keep their eye on the ball. They didn't do that last year. Maybe some fresh blood is needed in that organization.
There you go, Ansley. Sounds like you folks at the Conservancy have a lot to learn about managing an urban park here in the big city.,

Old 08-05-2014, 11:50 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There you go, Ansley. Sounds like you folks at the Conservancy have a lot to learn about managing an urban park here in the big city.,
That's definitely true, at least as far as handling potential damage caused by crowds and rain is concerned.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:22 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The Convservancy clearly has no clue, arjay. Perhaps we should give up and let the hoodlums run and ruin the place. Seems that they are adamant in doing so.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
The Conservancy has done a damn good job managing the park.

So good that blockbuster music acts want to come and play there.

That is a good thing, and only raises the profile of the park and opportunities for it to get even better.

Turning them away is not a good thing.

Last year was an aberration because it rained. The park has been just fine most years after this event.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:08 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Well the park is in the middle of the city. If they don't like noise/etc move to OTP
I'm sorry, but I resent that attitude.

I don't care how much of a destination Piedmont Park is, or how many high-rises are nearby... it's still someone's home. Whether urban or suburban, neighborhoods are neighborhoods, and they belong first and foremost to the people who live in them. They deserve the same respect whether they're the core of Midtown or a subdivision in Cumming.

People aren't obliged to have a music festival destroying their neighborhood park just because they chose to live somewhere that isn't car-dependent. Midtown doesn't owe Piedmont Park to Music Midtown. It's just not equipped for events like that, and people don't respect the park when they attend them. If someone stayed in your house for the weekend and totally trashed it, I'm guessing you wouldn't be inviting them back either, even if they said "Hey, you chose to have me as a friend. You knew what you were getting yourself into."

Well, you're right--living in a city requires putting up with a lot of s**t. That's because when you live in a city, a lot of outsiders pass through your neighborhood with that very same attitude and treat it with about the same respect as they would a rental car or a roadside ditch.

"Hey, you chose to live here. You knew I was going to be loud and obnoxious and throw trash everywhere. It's not my fault you live here, so I'll just go ahead and blast my car stereo at 3:00 AM on a weekday and throw this McDonald's bag out my window. And, hey, I'm going to have a music festival in your front yard. I'm entitled to it. After all, it's the city."

No.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:08 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
"Residents in the park neighborhood can voice their opinions at a meeting being held at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Peachtree Christian Church (1580 Peachtree St. N.E.)..."
Quote:
The capacity of Piedmont Park during the two-day Music Midtown festival (Sept. 19-20) is around 60,000 each day, so it is unclear where the “quarter of a million people” figure originated (the post cites the AJC as the source of that figure, but my story about last year’s and this year’s Music Midtown never indicated a number beyond 60,000 per day).

The event’s promoter, Live Nation, says it has no control over traffic and otherwise does everything it can to support the neighborhood.

“We tell the police the event we’re planning and they tell us what the traffic plan will be,” said Peter Conlon, president of Live Nation Atlanta. “I’m sorry we can’t please everyone. If I could make this work, I would, but I have no control over this.”

Conlon added that about 85 percent of attendees take MARTA to Music Midtown.
Seems like residents should be working with the city to make sure the promoters 1) take care to enforce good behavior from their attendees, 2) make the park whole for any damage that is caused, and 3) make sure getting there by transit is easy and going by car is difficult.

If 85% of attendees really take MARTA already, you're looking at less than 10,000 people arriving by car, not 250,000...

Old 08-05-2014, 10:25 PM

322 posts, read 465,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
But the green was fixed, wasn't it? Isn't that what they pay for, so that the park can be fixed after they leave?
This picture was taken May 5, 2014, eight months later. Does it look fixed to you?

Music Midtown application voted down by Midtown Neighbors Association-20140502_121754-copy-.jpg

Click/tap on the picture to embiggen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta