Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:19 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,256 times

Advertisements

First, I have no skin in this as I'm not a resident of Clayton County and my child doesn't go to Utopian.

But this story is really odd. I'm not sure if this is bad reporting (the article is certainly written very badly) or something more nefarious. Why would a fire marshall prevent occupation of a building because of a dispute over a business license? Since when does a fire marshall care about a tax matter? Did county officials put him up to it? I can see a fire marshall keeping a building closed if there was no valid certificate of occupancy, but is that tied to a business license?

There is something to this story that I'm just not getting:

First day of school showdown: Utopian vs Clayton | www.ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I can see a fire marshall keeping a building closed if there was no valid certificate of occupancy, but is that tied to a business license?

There is something to this story that I'm just not getting:

First day of school showdown: Utopian vs Clayton | www.ajc.com
I'll have to look but some schools have the CoO plus a business license so this will probably boil down to the school not having a Certificate of Occupancy so the fire marshal won't let the students into the building.

At least, I hope, that is the only issue.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I'll have to look but some schools have the CoO plus a business license so this will probably boil down to the school not having a Certificate of Occupancy so the fire marshal won't let the students into the building.

At least, I hope, that is the only issue.
That I can understand. But the AJC article made it sound like the fire marshall was preventing access strictly because of the lack of a business license. Which just seems wrong.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:00 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,125 times
Quote:
That I can understand. But the AJC article made it sound like the fire marshall was preventing access strictly because of the lack of a business license. Which just seems wrong.
A commercial certificate of occupancy is a license. If the building is up to code then it probably just boils down to paperwork and the government not having their money (or their way). The fire marshal would be the appropriate agency to enforce that type of compliance.... but the way the article is written does make it seem like the Clayton County government is actively trying to impede the operation of the charter school.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:21 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,200 times
This is pretty standard. if you don't have your CoO, Fire marshall is the perfectly reasonable person to block access. Fire marshalls also condemn properties.

BTW - I'm sick to death of business starting up and then complaining when they don't follow the rules, that it's someone else's fault.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
This is pretty standard. if you don't have your CoO, Fire marshall is the perfectly reasonable person to block access. Fire marshalls also condemn properties.
The article made it sound like it was the business license that was the issue. A CoO I understand.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:28 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
If they were smart, they would have said, OK we can't go inside. We will do class in the parking lot, the grass. But then the health dept would be on them for not having bathroom, running water....

Old 08-04-2014, 02:33 PM

304 posts, read 324,678 times
Without a business license there could be issues with insurance and safety codes the school could basically face lawsuits if any kind of accident happened inside the school. Usually a business license requires you to be bonded and insured through the state. You also have to meet certain codes to be bonded through the state. I am not saying that the school does not meet these requirements, but with no license it's one of those things where there is no issuing authority to give final approval.

Ultimately the Fire Marshall would be called in to protect the interests of the county and state, as well as the kids. Looks like somebody dropped the ball.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:39 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,200 times
Quote:
The article made it sound like it was the business license that was the issue. A CoO I understand.

No business license, no CoO. The CoO is the last thing you get before you are cleared to open. If that isn't given (by the Fire Marshall) you aren't in business.

I think the real story, is why isn't this school's house in order before the First Day? That's ultimately the issue here, no?

Old 08-04-2014, 03:00 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,705,570 times
Charter school students turned away on first day | www.wsbtv.com

Quote:
The city refused to sign off on those licenses because there’s an issue with the building lease.

School officials say they have a five-year lease, but the city says that lease may not be valid because the organization that subleased it to them may not be authorized to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: