Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is Atlanta most similar to?
Jackson, MS 1 3.03%
Washington, DC 32 96.97%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 04:05 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,746 times

Advertisements

Of all the southern cities to compare us against, he/she chose Jackson, MS. I'm sorry, but BajanYankee is trolling us, I don't care what you say. What is the point!?

Do not feed the trolls!

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
-Wealthy
-Liberal
-High taxes and COL
-Extensive public transit
-Density
-Diversity
-Most educated population in USA
-There isn't wealth in Atlanta?
-"Liberal" in the city and in several surrounding counties. Others on the cusp.
-A high taxes and COL aren't exactly things to brag about.
-True, but Atlanta is no slouch in the public transit department as much as people make it out to be. Plus, there are plenty of cities in the North with no or really poor public transit.
-Despite what is posted on C-D, density isn't the sole domain of the Northern cities. And as I stated before, while DC is denser than Atlanta, it's not exactly light years ahead. Don't forget that DC is the least dense city out of all the cities in BosWash.
-Diversity? Seriously? Get out of here with this nonsense. Atlanta is just as diverse as DC.
-Again, more nonsense. Yes, DC is #1, but Atlanta is #16 and is only separated by about 10 percentage points. Also, I fail to see how this is a "Northern" quality given the top 10 cities are a mix of cities from every region of the country. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I think you are confusing Liberal with "northern"...None of that proves that DC is not southern.

Case in point: Atlanta has a transit-oriented lifestlye

Other case in point: If you're saying it's the most educated metro in the USA and referring that to being "northern" is NYC, Philly and Boston more southern then? LOL, please

Another thing in regards to education: Atlanta recently (last yr) ranked #1 in cities with the highest percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher...
You forgot high taxes, super liberal, and high COL. Those are all northern characteristics.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,952 times
Quote:
Okay, but how are they culturally similar. Atlanta is chock full of southern culture. DC isn't.
DC is chock full of black people. And a lot blacks in DC will even tell you they are southern. I've had many debates with my friends from up there about this and I'm always like DC is up north and they are quick as hell to say they DC is southern. Many, many debates. Its almost like they got offended when I told them that I consider DC to be a northern city.

And it shows in things like how much blacks in DC HATE NY'ers. They want nothing to do with NY or anything else close to it. I'll never forget the first time I went to DC as an adult and I was in Georgetown shopping and I ran across these chicks who were from DC. I was feeling flirty so I jumped down on them and started making convo with them, everything was going good until I mentioned how their accents sounded a little up north to me and I asked them if they were from NY. They both looked at me like , and one of them said "boy I'm from DC, them NY dudes is bama, dont you ever again say that to me we aint nothing like them". They literally got mad when I asked them if they were from NY and whatever chance I had of scoring while I was up there went out the window with that comment I made. So if blacks in DC consioder themselves to be southern or mid Atlantic I would venture to say that southen culture is up there a lot more than you realize.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
-There isn't wealth in Atlanta?
-"Liberal" in the city and in several surrounding counties. Others on the cusp.
-A high taxes and COL aren't exactly things to brag about.
-True, but Atlanta is no slouch in the public transit department as much as people make it out to be. Plus, there are plenty of cities in the North with no or really poor public transit.
-Despite what is posted on C-D, density isn't the sole domain of the Northern cities. And as I stated before, while DC is denser than Atlanta, it's not exactly light years ahead. Don't forget that DC is the least dense city out of all the cities in BosWash.
-Diversity? Seriously? Get out of here with this nonsense. Atlanta is just as diverse as DC.
-Again, more nonsense. Yes, DC is #1, but Atlanta is #16 and is only separated by about 10 percentage points. Also, I fail to see how this is a "Northern" quality given the top 10 cities are a mix of cities from every region of the country.
Okay, but do you think Atlanta has that big city, aggressive "out of my way" go-getter attitude DC has. I doubt it.

New York, Philly and DC are known to be "tough" towns.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
You forgot high taxes, super liberal, and high COL. Those are all northern characteristics.
Contradiction: California.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
DC is chock full of black people. And a lot blacks in DC will even tell you they are southern. I've had many debates with my friends from up there about this and I'm always like DC is up north and they are quick as hell to say they DC is southern. Many, many debates. Its almost like they got offended when I told them that I consider DC to be a northern city.
Black people are southern everywhere. You can't really go by that. Besides, Blacks don't really have much impact on present-day DC.

I would say that Germans have a greater influence on DC in 2014. Have you ever heard of DC Brau?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Brau_Brewing

Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Quote:
Black people are southern everywhere. You can't really go by that. Besides, Blacks don't really have much impact on present-day DC.
Blacks aren't southern everywhere. A black from NYC is totally different from a black from ATL.

Meanwhile, the blacks in DC have more in common with blacks in ATL though.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Okay, but do you think Atlanta has that big city, agressive "out of my way" go-getter attitude DC has. I doubt it.
Personally, I don't DC has that either or at least to the level of NYC, Philly or Boston. Keep in mind I spent a large chunk of my childhood living in NYC and visit often.

Honestly, I see DC and Atlanta's culture in this regard being two opposite ends of the same stick. The pace is the same, but the delivery is different. DC is more brash while Atlanta is more mellow.

Quote:
New York, Philly and DC are known to be "tough" towns.
And Atlanta isn't? Sure, we've lost some edge after the housing projects were torn down, but I invite you to visit the Bluff or Pittsburgh the next time you're in town. Just mill around a bit a strike up a conversation with the friendly neighborhood dopeboys standing on the corner. There is a certain refinement to their genteelness.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:13 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Of all the southern cities to compare us against, he/she chose Jackson, MS. I'm sorry, but BajanYankee is trolling us, I don't care what you say. What is the point!?

Do not feed the trolls!
He just trying to get his ego stoke for the day. Maybe if we would be like "OMG you're from NYC, you are so cool!!!" he'll just get his fill and go away.

But thats not gonna happen. If he wants his @ss kissed by people just because he is from NY perhaps he should go to the Charlotte page. This aint 1988 no more. No one here in Atlanta is impressed by that lameness anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta