Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 4,510 times

Advertisements

I've recently graduated from college and am looking to move into the loop. One job is off of Piedmont Ave and the other is closer to Vinings. I'm trying to find an affordable and relatively safe neighborhood to live in before I decide which job to take. Here are some stats to consider:

Single, early 20s male
21k in student loan debt
Salary will be 49-55k pretax (plus benefits, stock options, etc)
Moderately frugal but willing to spend more on healthful foods ($200/mo on food, no going out, etc)
Lived in rough areas of town before so I'm not too concerned as long as the neighborhoods are good
Would prefer the commute to be less than 35 minutes each way
Would consider taking MARTA depending on how safe/reliable it is in getting me to work on time
Considering buying a car if MARTA doesn't work out. Looking at a few 2014s that are under/around 10k
Wanting to contribute the max (up to employer match) to 401k
Also want to save at least 30% (if not more) of after tax income (ideally; would do less if necessary)
Moderate loner. I don't like going out too often and if I do, it's got to be cheap...an occasional fancy dinner might be in order

How much should I budget towards an apartment? What areas might I look at? I've looked at Vinings but I keep reading horrible reviews for the apartment complexes I do find.

What should I expect moving into the city? Are apartment complexes generally calm or do they become overly raucous? Should I find some place outside of the loop and then commute into the area? I lived in Gwinnett before but the commute seems like it would be way too long.

Any help is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 11:44 AM

5 posts, read 4,510 times
bump

Old 08-10-2014, 02:02 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,381,060 times
You pick the job that is best for you, and then decide on a living space. You are lucky to have a choice of jobs, most people do not have that luxury. You are young and starting your life out of school and you will probably move more in your 20's before you settle down to one area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: