Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:40 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,092 times

Advertisements

I think it would be helpful if, when talking about this topic, posters would state up front if they have children, how many, and their ages. It would help tremendously in sorting out the different opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 12:06 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
The percentage of FRL population is highly correlated in most cases with test scores. This doesn't mean that the teachers are "bad" or that the kids are bad, it just means they have certain disadvantages that make it harder to score well on standardized tests.

A lot times, when people are looking for "good" schools, they are looking for, and are pointed to by other posters, schools with low FRL populations. People may be oblivious to this, and think that the main determinations of high test scores are teacher quality, parental involvement, or budget, but personally I think student poverty or lack thereof is the elephant in the room when we're talking about "good" schools.
I do not think its fair to assume since a kid is on FRL that they are somehow less of a student than one born into a wealthy family. Kids cannot choose the family they are born into.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:08 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,191 times
Here we go with "fairness" again. Statistics don't deal with fairness, just reality.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:12 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Only the last 50 years of data. Look at what people do, not what they say.

And when their families get to school age or middle school age, most will move to the burbs.
Or the neighborhood will change and get expensive while they moved in while prices were lower.
The suburbs have only really been around for 50 or so years.

Look at the recent trends. Less family's are moving to the suburbs. Not denying that many family's still choose to live out there. But heed your own advice, look at the trends for the last few years. The intown neighborhoods around where I am are stroller-city.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:16 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The suburbs have only really been around for 50 or so years.
Well, not really. A hundred years ago, Ansley Park was a suburb. Suburbs have always existed, they just tend to get consumed as the city proper grows and gobbles them up.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:21 PM

445 posts, read 516,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I do not think its fair to assume since a kid is on FRL that they are somehow less of a student than one born into a wealthy family. Kids cannot choose the family they are born into.
It's not a moral judgment, just a fact that when you have less starting out in life, when your parents didn't read/couldn't read to you, when you didn't have many/any books in the house, when your parents didn't have much schooling, when they had to work two or three jobs or couldn't hold or find a job at all, when you had to move constantly, your school performance would suffer.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Well, not really. A hundred years ago, Ansley Park was a suburb. Suburbs have always existed, they just tend to get consumed as the city proper grows and gobbles them up.
I agree that Ansley Park was originally a suburb. But our modern definition of a suburb did not exist until the rise of the car. But go back a little further and you will not even find streetcar suburbs. On a human scale, suburbs are a recent fad and not that common outside of America. The idea that you can only properly raise children in a single family home on half an acre is a false one.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:38 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
The idea that you can only properly raise children in a single family home on half an acre is a false one.
You are spot on here. Wholly agree. It's a matter of preference more so than anything else. But, an, I was raised on hundreds of acres with creeks, woods, farming stuff, animals... Oftentimes I wish I could have raised my brood that way.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:49 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,191 times
Quote:
I agree that Ansley Park was originally a suburb. But our modern definition of a suburb did not exist until the rise of the car. But go back a little further and you will not even find streetcar suburbs.
This.

Ultimately the suburbs may become where those who cannot afford to live closer in-town will wind up.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:47 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
I agree that Ansley Park was originally a suburb. But our modern definition of a suburb did not exist until the rise of the car. But go back a little further and you will not even find streetcar suburbs. On a human scale, suburbs are a recent fad and not that common outside of America. The idea that you can only properly raise children in a single family home on half an acre is a false one.
Bear in mind that many of our "streetcar suburbs" were built with the automobile in mind. Garages, driveways, etc. were de rigeur.

I totally agree that you don't need a half acre to raise kids but they do need considerable elbow room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta