Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:52 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Chapparal is closed, and the other two are not live music venues. They have DJs and maybe the occaisional live band. That doesn't qualify as a "music venue" when you trying to make an apples to apples comparison between amenities of Brookhaven and Atlanta.
Chapparal is now Rush Lounge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:37 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Dresden needs bike lanes and a bus route from the station, to serve those developments.
Ever tried to get MARTA to change a bus route?

What's the best way to handle bike lanes where you've got onstreet parking, cq? I have heard complaints that they may have conflicts but I don't know myself.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Ever tried to get MARTA to change a bus route?

What's the best way to handle bike lanes where you've got onstreet parking, cq? I have heard complaints that they may have conflicts but I don't know myself.
Cyclist and Drivers need to be mindful of the bike lane and opening car doors. I have had no issues downtown or in Kirkwood with bike lane next to parking lane. The better solution would be to place the bike lane next to the sidewalk with the parking lane separating the bike lane from the general lanes.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
The better solution would be to place the bike lane next to the sidewalk with the parking lane separating the bike lane from the general lanes.
The problem I would see there is somebody getting out of their car on the passenger side and getting mowed down by a cyclist they couldn't see.

Maybe the cyclists should just walk their bikes through these ultra crowded areas?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
The problem I would see there is somebody getting out of their car on the passenger side and getting mowed down by a cyclist they couldn't see.

Maybe the cyclists should just walk their bikes through these ultra crowded areas?
No, both cyclist and drivers need to be alert. Cyclist don;t need to be speeding thru the area and drivers need to look before opening their doors.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:08 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
No, both cyclist and drivers need to be alert. Cyclist don;t need to be speeding thru the area and drivers need to look before opening their doors.
Let's face it - cars and bikes really don't mix well.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Well, suppose we're going to dinner at Haven. I pull up to the curb and my passenger opens the door to step out onto the sidewalk.

How in the heck are they going to see a cyclist coming from behind in some skinny little lane between the car and the curb?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Let's face it - cars and bikes really don't mix well.
Yes they do, but it requires education and selflessness. Look at Europe, bike purchases outpaced car purchases in several EU countries. Take a look at the heavy used bike corridors, cars and bikes are able to function together as long as everyone does what they are suppose to do.
With your logic, cars and cars do not mix well either. More people die in car wrecks than bike wrecks.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:24 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Well, suppose we're going to dinner at Haven. I pull up to the curb and my passenger opens the door to step out onto the sidewalk.

How in the heck are they going to see a cyclist coming from behind in some skinny little lane between the car and the curb?
Since you know the area, the onus is on you to make your friend aware that bikes might be passing and to be careful exiting the car. This is one of the things your side mirror is useful for.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:25 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Yes they do, but it requires education and selflessness. Look at Europe, bike purchases outpaced car purchases in several EU countries. Take a look at the heavy used bike corridors, cars and bikes are able to function together as long as everyone does what they are suppose to do.
With your logic, cars and cars do not mix well either. More people die in car wrecks than bike wrecks.
My sister-in-law spent 6 weeks in the hospital following a bike-car encounter. They don't mix well and this ain't Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta