Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:38 PM

19 posts, read 42,930 times

Advertisements

Moving to Atlanta area in the next 3 months from Northern New Jersey. Budget 900K on home, have 4 elementary school aged kids so need a large home, schools are very important, safety for kids very important, friendly community important, we golf and play tennis but not inclined to join a club but would consider it depending on fees. Would need at least 1/2 acre plot but would prefer 1 full acre for my kids to run around. Need to be near all the shopping like Trader Joe's and Costco etc. Will be commuting to Buckhead, next to Lenox Mall 3x per week so can tolerate up to 1hr commute each way if necessary. There are SO MANY subdivisions - should we go for a gated community or is that not necessary for safety purposes? So many homes on the market, all the schools seem great as far as rating- too many similar homes - so confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 09:22 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Yes, all the schools are good in those areas, and you won't be far from any preferred stores.

It's impossible to say what the best subdivision is. As you've seen, there are many, many nice ones. Milton has a minimum 1 acre lot zoning, so for guaranteed space, that's a good place to target your search. Some homes in Alpharetta and John's Creek will be on large lots, but you'll also see plenty of 1/4 acre lots.

I would not spend 900K on a home in the current market. The higher end homes are not selling quickly, and the builders are adding a lot of inventory between 600-800K, so if you want new, it will be easy to find. There are some gated communities, I think they give a false sense of security personally, and crime is not a big issue.

With children, you might like the convenience of a swim/tennis neighborhood.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 AM

Thank you, that is very good to know regarding the homes that are not selling in the 900K range. We will narrow down our search to the Milton area. Thank you!

Old 08-14-2014, 07:07 AM

528 posts, read 1,283,521 times
Default Consider South Forsyth as well

Lower taxes, great schools. These are located in the Lambert or South Forsyth High school clusters. Some neighborhoods under/in your range:

Laurel Springs (swim/tennis can buy into golf)
Creekstone (swim/tennis) homes are newer
Turnberry (swim) not sure about tennis
Greystone Manor (not sure about swim/tennis- assume swim)

We live in Laurel Springs and love it. Originally from Buffalo, NY. My husband is a golfer though so he wanted golf neighborhood.

Also, in Milton would be The Manor. Very nice neighborhood with swim/tennis and can buy into golf.

But as other have said, you can't go wrong. I will say that traffic in Johns Creek area is bad. It's bad all over up here but not as bad where I am or even Milton as Johns Creek.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-14-2014, 09:20 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
My family lives in the St. Marlo subdivision. While it is technically in Forsyth Co., it sits on the Forsyth/Fulton line and is next door to Johns Creek. It is a mature neighborhood (developed in the 90s - 18 hole golf course, 9 tennis courts, neighborhood pool and club house) and has nice sized yards, is close to good shopping and restaurants and is located in the Lambert High School district, which is a wonderful school. I am happy to give you the names of a few resident real estate agents - just PM me.

I never imagined living in the suburbs (intown for 20+ years), but have to admit that I like the burbs a lot. Livingbuffalo's neighborhood of Laurel Springs is also terrific.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:10 PM

Ah, yes. Forgot about St. Marlo. Another great choice!

Old 08-14-2014, 03:55 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
I'm in St. Marlo too. The schools here are very good and crime is for the most part nonexistent, except for the occasional group of teenagers wreaking havoc on the golf course in the wee hours of the morning, lol. Property taxes here are also really low when compared to other cities.

And now for the bad news. I would never attempt a commute from here to Buckhead. It will drain the life out of you! Plus, the lot sizes here are typically smaller than 1/2 acre, so there's strike two.

Laurel Springs is right next to St. Marlo so no better commute from there. For large lots in that price range, I'd suggest "Creekstone Estates", but the commute from there would be nearly as bad, although they are very close to Hwy. 400, which is a plus to get to Buckhead (*Creekstone does not have a golf course). A slightly closer gated/golf option would be St. Ives in Johns Creek.

Also take a look at "The Manor", in Milton. They have 1+ acre lots.

Good luck!

Last edited by flamadiddle; 08-14-2014 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 11:24 PM

Thank you all! I have been looking in a few places in Milton near HW400 and saw that commute was about 22 miles give/take to Lenox square -which is next to where DH will be working. Does anyone have any reviews on the Crooked Creek community?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:34 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Be very careful if you're looking in the Crooked Creek area. Forsyth Cty has given tentative approval to double the size of a waste transfer station that abuts that part of Milton. Residents are up in arms over the increased traffic expected:

https://www.facebook.com/asmellyplan

Old 08-16-2014, 08:11 AM

I have a friend from high school that lives there and likes it but is very concerned about the smell, increased garbage truck traffic on Highway 9 and increased bears and coyotes that will come with that garbage dump. Not sure I would chance it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta