Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 01:16 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Emory Adventist is closing down in the fall :-( They just couldn't make ends meet anymore and Emory ended up not buying them.
Well, that sucks. I did not know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 07:28 AM

5 posts, read 5,519 times
My wife just delivered at Piedmont Hospital last week It was a great experience. The staff was great as was the facility. She used Atlanta OBGYN Associates which is next to the hospital so not close to your preferred location but they are a really good practice.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:44 AM

161 posts, read 219,293 times
Congratulations!! To both the OP and to Erik768!

OP, how many weeks are you, are you high-risk, and have you given birth before? If you have specific preferences, I might be able to come up w/ more suggestions. But w/ the info you provided, I suggest you tour Kennestone hospital. It has a very nice L&D, feels more personal than Northside, but is still a large hospital w/ NICU (God forbid you would need it.) They have excellent breastfeeding support, too. It is part of the Wellstar network, and I know many, many doctors and doctors wives that have used Elizabeth Street and the other docs in her practice as their obgyns. I personally know several other OB's in the Wellstar network, but not professionally so I hesitate to recommend them...

I live in Cobb and my 2 most recent births have been in Fulton. You are not limited by geographic boundaries, only by your insurance and the distance you are comfortable with traveling

Old 08-16-2014, 01:24 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
I think where you want to deliver will also depend on what family is coming, etc. If you have a lot of family that will be coming, with only so many being allowed at a time, you'll want the hospital as close to where you live as possible so they can go back and forth, back and forth. If you are keeping it a private thing, then you can probably go out farther. The whole panic to rush to the hospital when the water breaks thing on TV tends to be hugely exaggerated. You tend to have plenty of time to get there, especially on the first pregnancy, and especially if you aren't walking around too much before you get there.

There's also some really nice spa-like birthing centers a couple hours away in North GA that do all the fufu stuff. We haven't been there, but I've heard of them. I believe, if your OBGYN doesn't go to those places, that you'll at least have a different midwife / doctor for the delivery.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:36 PM

142 posts, read 411,950 times
I will be 37 weeks so I just need someone to monitor last few weeks and a good hospital to deliever him. This is my second pregnancy-I currently have a NC insurance(Coventry health care of Carolina's) but will be switching to Humana sept 1 since Coventry Georgia isn't on the exchange and I have a private policy. I don't mind traveling to a hospital in area if it is convenient for others. My mom will be bringing my other son in once while I'm at hospital but other than that no visitors. We will be living off Sandy Plains rd in Marietta. Which office/ hospital combo is best based on that? I am also low risk and would prefer to go natural but not opposed to epidural if necessary. If this helps with recommendations

Old 08-16-2014, 09:48 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
OBGYN of Atlanta | Genevieve L. Fairbrother

Old 08-16-2014, 11:11 PM

161 posts, read 219,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulaap View Post
I will be 37 weeks so I just need someone to monitor last few weeks and a good hospital to deliever him. This is my second pregnancy-I currently have a NC insurance(Coventry health care of Carolina's) but will be switching to Humana sept 1 since Coventry Georgia isn't on the exchange and I have a private policy. I don't mind traveling to a hospital in area if it is convenient for others. My mom will be bringing my other son in once while I'm at hospital but other than that no visitors. We will be living off Sandy Plains rd in Marietta. Which office/ hospital combo is best based on that? I am also low risk and would prefer to go natural but not opposed to epidural if necessary. If this helps with recommendations
Ok! I when I lived off Sandy Plains Rd. (until very recently, in fact!) I was almost equidistant from Kennestone Hospital (which I mentioned previously) and North Fulton Hospital (maybe a mile or 2 farther.) Those were definitely the 2 closest hospitals. Distance was a factor I took into consideration because I have a history of fast labors! I chose North Fulton because they are very natural childbirth friendly. No one pushed meds, every nurse was calm and caring. It was a very relaxed atmosphere. The first time I gave birth there, unfortunately I chose a doctor I wasn't crazy about. That ended up not being an issue--20 min after I walked through the door I gave birth and my (amazing!) nurse delivered the baby The next pregnancy I chose to see a midwife. She was fantastic! An all around great experience. Sadly, she's no longer practicing. But there are several midwives and natural childbirth friendly docs that deliver at North Fulton.

If you get a chance, tour both hospitals. Kennestone is more "mainstream" and very convenient to where you will be living. I can see how North Fulton isn't for everyone, but I had wonderful experiences there, and if you're interested in natural birth it's absolutely worth looking into!

Good luck! And please feel free to ask me any other questions about the area

Old 08-17-2014, 12:26 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Well, that sucks. I did not know.
The good news is that with very little gap, Wellstar is building a new hospital off Atlanta Rd near I-285.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:06 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
I would not go to Northside for at least a couple of reasons I can think of off the top of my head. First, traffic at the perimeter is HORRENDOUS on a M-F daily basis. I think it took me more than an hour to creep 1 mile - PAST NORTHSIDE HOSPITAL ENTRANCE. If you are in labor, that is the last place you want to be headed to (if it happens to be rush hour). If you are a scheduled c-section and can time your delivery, maybe no problem. If you are not, I wouldn't trust it. It has some of the worst traffic I have ever seen on side streets in Atlanta. I don't deal with that area between 2:30 and 6 M-F. I'd also be concerned that my husband would have to let me out and I'd have to walk in bc the parking garage does not appear to be that large and I would wonder if he'd be able to find a parking space (real concerns when you are in labor). There is no possibility for just staying at the red curb. There is only one drive up entrance and the street going past the entrance is ONE LANE in each direction....

Also, as the other poster mentioned, I would not go to a baby factory bc I would be concerned about assembly line treatment. Just me. I have a child by the way so been there done that.

Finally, I question the idea that they know what they are doing just bc they deliver alot of babies. If there are always a ton of women in labor at the place, would they necessarily have the space to allow you to stay an extra day if you really needed to/wanted to or would they rush you out because they need the room? Would they have so many deliveries going on at once that you may not get the ideal amount of attention? How much do they stretch their nurses? Doctors? Who is monitoring this large number of baby births on a daily basis? Is it sufficient? My sister is a labor and delivery nurse in another hospital that delivers far fewer babies (her hospital delivers a typical number of babies as hospitals go in Atlanta) and I can tell you that during this season (peak baby having season is summer season) she says they are non-stop delivering babies her entire shift. She is completely worn out and she also almost has her midwifery license and she has a fairly good expectation of what to expect. I think the nurses at Northside might be pushed that much more but not sure.

ETA: my labor and delivery nurse sister chose Wellstar twice for her two deliveries of her now-toddlers. They have a beautiful women's center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Don't know about OB/GYN docs, but can tell you that Northside Hospital is known as THE maternity ward for metro Atlanta.

If you want more personal attention, the baby factory may not be for you....but I tend to believe that a hospital that delivers as many babies as Northside must really know what it's doing and can probably handle just about anything that could possibly go wrong.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:11 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
That's what I was wondering. I delivered at Piedmont Hospital and did not know Piedmont Physicians group was affiliated with any hospital in Cobb. News to me. OP, better check that one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
There's a problem with that: Piedmont Hospital isn't in Cobb. Piedmont's clinic in Vinings is fine, as a clinic. However, she should use someone in Wellstar, unless Piedmont Physicians have some arrangement with Wellstar Hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta