Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:31 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times

Advertisements

The Atlanta Dairies Building (most recently owned by Parmalat) has been abandoned since the dairy closed. A mixed-use project was proposed in 2008, but it never happened for obvious reasons. As recently as last year there were rumors of an unidentified developer demolishing the historic building for a grocery store development, but nothing ever came of it.

This week, some solid news leaked out in the Reynoldstown Civic Improvement League's meeting notes: a developer has purchased the site and is exploring rezoning*. It will be office, retail and apartments. They plan to keep the historic buildings and restore them. The report states that it's the "same folks as Krog Street Market", which presumably means Paces Properties. There's a possible use for a small entertainment space as well, like Variety Playhouse.

Given the heat that Krog St. Market is bringing to Inman Park, this could be a big win for Reynoldstown, Cabbagetown and other nearby neighborhoods. The complex is just feet from the Beltline trail that will begin construction to Memorial Drive this Fall.

777 Memorial Dr SE, Atlanta, GA — Google Maps

* Not sure whether/why this is necessary, as the site is in the Beltline overlay zoning district.

Last edited by magnetar; 08-18-2014 at 12:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 12:00 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
It doesn't look it from that photo, but that is actually a large plot of land!

The only real comment I have is I hope before too much more development comes to Memorial drive, which I think will be the next big corridor in town, I hope the city can save right of way setbacks for future road widening + streetscaping + bikeway.

I know many knock road expansions, but if the corridor urbanizes with many apartments/condos in the future it will need to handle the local traffic and that reversible system is the pitts. It isn't even that long that its the reversible lanes.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:15 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
Yeah, here's a better overhead view. My understanding is that it's all, or almost all, of the land shown here between Flat Shoals and Memorial.

Quote:
The only real comment I have is I hope before too much more development comes to Memorial drive, which I think will be the next big corridor in town, I hope the city can save right of way setbacks for future road widening + streetscaping + bikeway.
The center lanes there and on DeKalb are just crazyass. One of the alternative routes for the Streetcar has it coming down Memorial to Bill Kennedy Way; those lanes are likely to see some reconfiguring soon one way or another.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:09 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Another reason the future route of the Atlanta Streetcar needs to use the Memorial Drive corridor to get to Bill Kennedy Way.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:38 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Awesome. I keep thinking that building would be a great re-use and it is a shame to see it sit empty. Memorial is prime for the next wave of redevelopment.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:43 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,432 times
The new Habitat for Humanity facility across the street is looking great. Glad they were able to save some of the original structure. Hoping Cummin Landscape doesn't get priced out of the area. Pretty much the only place to get bulk landscape materials this side of town.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Hoping Cummin Landscape doesn't get priced out of the area. Pretty much the only place to get bulk landscape materials this side of town.
I have used them before and they have some good stuff but I think they can find some good locations with cheaper land either a bit further south or somewhere off a main road. It is not going to make sense for them to keep that huge track of prime land right on the middle of Memorial.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 PM

Looks like Curbed picked up on it: Is Krog St. Developer Eyeing Memorial for Next Big Build? - Bureau Of Big Ideas - Curbed Atlanta

Old 08-18-2014, 01:23 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I have used them before and they have some good stuff but I think they can find some good locations with cheaper land either a bit further south or somewhere off a main road. It is not going to make sense for them to keep that huge track of prime land right on the middle of Memorial.
I agree. Moreland and Boulevard both have loads of unused land that they could possiby relocate to, which would allow them to stay in basically the same area.

Cabbagetown has been working on a master plan for the underutilized lots on its side of Memorial.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:52 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I agree. Moreland and Boulevard both have loads of unused land that they could possiby relocate to, which would allow them to stay in basically the same area.

Cabbagetown has been working on a master plan for the underutilized lots on its side of Memorial.
I guess if you are going to relocate a business, loading up dump trucks and dumping it in a new lot is about as easy as it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta