Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,111,909 times

Advertisements

Whitefield is on par with Lovett etc tuition wise though, no?

On that note, I think something that might get lost in the Smyrna city evaluation is that (I assume) part of the attraction to some people who move there, is its location to different places of work, but also to the elite schools nearby. They have money and fully intended on living close to one of those schools and with Smyrna, they get a good location that's not the city of Atlanta taxes etc as well.

What frustrating to me is that, both my wife and I are Catholic, went to Catholic schools growing up, but there are no real viable options on this side of town (yes Marietta, but they don't even have a high school).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 10:06 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,746,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
We have lots of friends and neighbor kids at both Whitefield and the Charter school. All are happy and adequately challenged academically. I think both are great ways to educate your kids, but they are complete polar opposites in terms of culture and beliefs. Night and day.
That's fine. I don't care if she's in a school with disadvantaged kids and one of the few white kids, as long as she is sufficiently challenged from day 1. From everything I see and hear, including what you just said your friends say, I believe that will be the case. I don't see the point in paying $17,000 if Imagine does everything she needs. Part of the draw of private schools is putting them with other well-off kids. As long as her behavior doesn't decline or what-not, I actually think she could benefit from meeting the other 90% of people in the world. A lot of the draw in private schoolsis their impressive campuses and all the extra stuff they offer. However, she wouldn't use most of it, and what she would use we can get privately for a lot less. Granted, private schools are a lot cheaper down here than where I grew up, but I still don't believe in spending money when it's not necessary. We looked at private schools in the Northeast when I was a kid, and found it unnecessary. I did perfectly fine. If Imagine doesn't meat our expectations, or we just need a year out at Whitfield before she goes to Imagine, then that's that.

Nickajack would probably meet our needs too. I'm just tired of hearing her complain during the observation period and I'm concerned she could lose some of her enthusiasm for learning in the process. I'm also concerned about my son, who is two years away and brilliant but has major ADHD.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:51 AM

Fyi, I contacted the area assistant superintendent, Dale Gaddis (770-426-3352) and basically said that the Cobb curriculum is not working at Nickajack and causes the best students to get stripped from the school, and suggesting they convert it to a charter school (I'm thinking maybe a STEM/IB charter) to better compete with private schools in the area. I also brought up math scores, which make no sense to me since my daughter is still ahead of grade level for Cobb curriculum, but I suspect that's a separate issue and it doesn't really make sense to me.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:54 PM

46 posts, read 67,807 times
I've recently moved to Atlanta from the Chicago suburbs. We are eyeing the Smyrna area for our next home. I like the idea of a Sprouts coming to the area, as I have yet to be impressed by Kroger and I don't really care for Publix.

Can anyone tell me what else might be in the development stages for this area? How are the libraries and the parks and rec dept? We won't be having children so school quality means nothing to us. I just like a good walk -able town with some things to do that's not far from the city.

What's it like getting downtown for an evening event from say the South Cobb and Concord? Some of the homes we're looking at are a bit west of that, but just to get an idea.

It appears the Smyrna and Mableton area utilize local roads to get to midtown or downtown?? I have yet to hit traffic in ATL that compares to Chicago headaches but I have noticed that local congestion can be quite annoying.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreets6 View Post
Can anyone tell me what else might be in the development stages for this area?
There's a lot. The area of Smyrna is typically Smyrna, Vinings and Cumberland since all are very close to each other, so it's effectively the same area. Since I'm about to head out for dinner, I'll keep this short: Some highlights are the Braves stadium, the Main Event in Cumberland, and a bunch of mixed-use including one in development along Windy Hill @ Atlanta Rd by Halpern, probably something that will happen at Spring Rd/Concord Rd and Atlanta Rd (Jonquil Village) now that Halpern bought it and a really big one coming in Smyrna along the Chattahoochee River (Riverview Landing). There's a new medical center coming (a small Wellstar hospital) next to Ivy Walk and West Village. Of course, there's the linear park and trail being built along Atlanta Rd. For the full list, which I keep updated, is: Cities - devmap.io . Click on Atlanta and pan to the upper-left.

Quote:
How are the libraries and the parks and rec dept? We won't be having children so school quality means nothing to us. I just like a good walk -able town with some things to do that's not far from the city.
Well, the library is nice and was the first city-owned library in the state. There's a nice pond with a walking path around it right next to the library and a community center right there as well. All that's about a three minute walk from market village. I wouldn't say the library is stock-full like a large university library but it is appropriate for the size of the city. There's some great parks and they are kept up well, including Taylor-Brawner Park just South of Concord Rd on Atlanta Rd and a pool off King Springs. There's also the Silver Comet Trail.

Quote:
What's it like getting downtown for an evening event from say the South Cobb and Concord? Some of the homes we're looking at are a bit west of that, but just to get an idea.
Not a big deal. Maybe 20-25 min, assuming moderate connector traffic.

Quote:
It appears the Smyrna and Mableton area utilize local roads to get to midtown or downtown?? I have yet to hit traffic in ATL that compares to Chicago headaches but I have noticed that local congestion can be quite annoying.
You have three decent options: I-75 from Cumberland, I-285 to I-20 from S. Cobb Dr and Marietta Blvd (Atlanta Rd inside Atlanta) then a left on Marietta Street (then from there, you'll need to know the side roads that take you to your specific locations, such as Northside to 17th st, Techwood Pkwy to North Ave, Ivan Allen, etc. Marietta Blvd is usually empty, though you could get tied up a tiny bit passing the I-285 interchange on Atlanta Rd since the interchange is being redone. It probably is still the fastest way, by a tiny bit, but it's obviously not as relaxing as the highway _can_ be when it's not bumper to bumper. It is also the most reliable way since highway traffic is unpredictable.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:22 PM

559 posts, read 828,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Whitefield is on par with Lovett etc tuition wise though, no?

On that note, I think something that might get lost in the Smyrna city evaluation is that (I assume) part of the attraction to some people who move there, is its location to different places of work, but also to the elite schools nearby. They have money and fully intended on living close to one of those schools and with Smyrna, they get a good location that's not the city of Atlanta taxes etc as well.

What frustrating to me is that, both my wife and I are Catholic, went to Catholic schools growing up, but there are no real viable options on this side of town (yes Marietta, but they don't even have a high school).

Joe, it seems that nearly all the kids in our Smyrna neighborhood are Catholic (except us) and they all attend either Holy Spirit, OLA (Our Lady of Assumption?) that feeds into Marist, or a couple of St. this and St. that schools.

None right here in Smyrna, but several within 15-20 minutes and they are carpool w/ neighbors so that makes it easier.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:23 AM

46 posts, read 67,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
There's a lot. The area of Smyrna is typically Smyrna, Vinings and Cumberland since all are very close to each other, so it's effectively the same area. Since I'm about to head out for dinner, I'll keep this short: Some highlights are the Braves stadium, the Main Event in Cumberland, and a bunch of mixed-use including one in development along Windy Hill @ Atlanta Rd by Halpern, probably something that will happen at Spring Rd/Concord Rd and Atlanta Rd (Jonquil Village) now that Halpern bought it and a really big one coming in Smyrna along the Chattahoochee River (Riverview Landing). There's a new medical center coming (a small Wellstar hospital) next to Ivy Walk and West Village. Of course, there's the linear park and trail being built along Atlanta Rd. For the full list, which I keep updated, is: Cities - devmap.io . Click on Atlanta and pan to the upper-left.
Thank you for your response. Very insightful.

Is the area on South Cobb, say between Concord and Windy Hill going to see further improvements? I noticed what appears to be a newer Kroger has gone in. Would like to see this area spruced up a bit more.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:01 PM

559 posts, read 828,215 times
Quote:
Is the area on South Cobb, say between Concord and Windy Hill going to see further improvements? I noticed what appears to be a newer Kroger has gone in. Would like to see this area spruced up a bit more.
It may, but it seems like the "sprucing up" of Smyrna is not centralized on that part of S. Cobb Dr. That area has needed a makeover for decades.

Net would probably know better than I if any permits have been filed.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your response. Very insightful.

I believe so, long-term, even if I can't predict timing. The reason is five-fold:
1. Smyrna is running out of room to do commercial development. Obviously, that area is part of the oldest and most blighted part of Smyrna. Unlike areas around Market Village, it hasn't yet had urban renewal spread there yet. Even the building with Imagine International Academy and Publix is a slightly fixed up 50 year-old mall called Cobb Center.
2. Just West of the Windy Hill / S. Cobb intersection, there are 194 new 4-5br luxury homes going in (Smyrna Grove) where approx 700 run-down apartments used to be (Hickory Lakes Apartments). Those apartments caused a lot of crime and drag on the businesses around there, and now they are gone. They were bought and torn down by the city. This is going to significantly change the dynamic in the area, and should attract new businesses. You can already tell by driving through there that things look less "ghetto" just because you see less high-poverty people walking around there.
3. Windy Hill Rd between S. Cobb and Atlanta Rd is going to be rebuilt as a ~ $50 million Boulevard concept which will make Windy Hill more walkable by getting the through traffic out of the way of pedestrians and bicyclists. At least, if it gets approved in the SPLOST. This would help spread things West from Belmont Hills towards S. Cobb drive (see picture below)
4. That area is an GA "enterprise zone" which gives businesses GA tax breaks if they hire so many employees. Also, Smyrna has its own tax breaks. By itself, it didn't seem to do much, but throw in 1-3 with it and I think there's a formula for success.
5. The city government is aware of the issue and has been working to solve it. The purchase of Hickory Lakes I mentioned earlier is one example of that and the tax breaks is another.

Last edited by netdragon; 08-22-2014 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-22-2014, 01:28 PM

fyi - for Nickajack we went in and met with the teacher and going to stick at Nickajack. The teacher has already done an assessment that our daughter is about a grade ahead in reading, and focus is now on reading comprehension and the teacher will be challenging her in that area. Our teacher also does STEM, which I really like. It also turns out our daughter is only about a couple months ahead in math, and that our daughter had been gumming up the assessment process in math by carelessly rushing through the work then drawing some really great art on the back of the paper which I thought would be really beautiful, were it art class.

I think what the Nickajack faces in this district is a lot of impatient parents that have the means to put their kids in private school and don't wait, so I am going to push the topic with the board of converting it to an IB/Stem charter school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta