Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:51 AM

22 posts, read 34,437 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I am moving to Georgia next year June 2015.
I wanted to know if I can get advice about the right areas to live..
Background info on me: Single, no kids, Black, Work in health, I'm in my late 20s
Some criteria I have for myself:

18-20 mins away from Atlanta
Diverse
I have $700-900 to spend on rent: apt or town home
SAFETY
An area where it is nice to shop, movies, gym, post offices, restaurants etc

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 05:37 AM

787 posts, read 968,418 times
Single and ready to mingle huh. Wats hapnan shawty, holla atcha boi, pm me yo facebook. You'll fit right in in Campcreek/Eastpoint, SWATL 30331 zip, Mableton, or Smyrna. Campcreek is probably yo best bet.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:05 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
You haven't given us enough information. What part of town do you work in and what kind of commute are you willing to deal with? Does 18-20 minutes away from Atlanta mean by car, or will you need to take mass transit? Are you willing to live with a roommate?

$700-$900 will almost certainly put you in a suburb. I don't know where you currently live, but most areas in the metro area are close to shopping, movie theaters, gyms, post offices and restaurants.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
You haven't given us enough information. What part of town do you work in and what kind of commute are you willing to deal with? Does 18-20 minutes away from Atlanta mean by car, or will you need to take mass transit? Are you willing to live with a roommate?

$700-$900 will almost certainly put you in a suburb. I don't know where you currently live, but most areas in the metro area are close to shopping, movie theaters, gyms, post offices and restaurants.
I will have a car. 18-20minutes on't seem bad. NO roommates, lol. I am an RN. I currently live in Tampa. I don't mind the suburbs or the outskirts of the city (Buckhead?*)... do you have any recommendations?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
Single and ready to mingle huh. Wats hapnan shawty, holla atcha boi, pm me yo facebook. You'll fit right in in Campcreek/Eastpoint, SWATL 30331 zip, Mableton, or Smyrna. Campcreek is probably yo best bet.
Thank you soo much for your reply!!!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:03 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
BTW you can take Megabus here via Orlando

Old 08-20-2014, 09:36 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiggle View Post
I will have a car. 18-20minutes on't seem bad. NO roommates, lol. I am an RN. I currently live in Tampa. I don't mind the suburbs or the outskirts of the city (Buckhead?*)... do you have any recommendations?
Heh. I have news for you... Buckhead is not really the outskirts of Atlanta. Assuming that you are working downtown, an 18-20 minute commute into the city means that you want to live ITP (inside the perimeter; within the geographic area surrounded by the I-285 loop).

You should check trulia, hotpads, and craigslist to get an idea of what rents are in different areas. Diversity means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.... you should probably indicate what kind of neighborhood you would prefer (artsy, uneducated folks? college educated hipsters? blue collar laborers? thugs and hoodlums? millenial college students? rich DINKs? Snooty HENRYs? Swinging singles? Etc, etc.)

Old 08-20-2014, 02:27 PM

651 posts, read 1,562,063 times
you know what they say.. come to Atlanta single. Leave a single mom.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:39 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,398,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
you know what they say.. come to Atlanta single. Leave a single mom.

LOL. WHAT???! Never ever heard this before!

Old 08-20-2014, 03:42 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
I'd look at "Vinings" apartments. It has everything you need in the general area, including AMC Parkway Point which has the closest you can get to an eat-in type movie experience without going to Cinebistro (it has a bar and real food). There's all kinds of things going in and around there including a Main Event and more mixed-use. There's some new apartments being built as we speak, but they will be out of your price range. The Stillhouse apartments on Cumberland Blvd opened in 2012 are more expensive than the ones in Buckhead right across the river. However, the older apartments from the 80s/90s around there will be in your price range, and they are still nice, especially Post Springs. The commute will be 20-25min on avg. Go to Promove at Cobb Pkwy / Cumberland Blvd and have them guide you. Don't get apartments across from the Target on Cobb Pkwy. There's something about their management since there's crime in those apartments (I think management has just changed, but I'd give it some time to clear out the riff-raff). Either go to Windy Ridge or the aforementioned Cumberland Parkway/ Spring Hill Pkwy, or Post Woods, or Spring Rd or Atlanta Rd in Smyrna (e.g. Rock Creek @ Vinings)

Last edited by netdragon; 08-20-2014 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta