Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:54 AM

79 posts, read 249,141 times

Advertisements

Hi Again Atlanta! Okay, last weekend I was up there townhouse shopping, and found a nice one in my price range. I will be living in Duluth (zip 30096) very near the Gwinnett Mall. My new job will be just under two miles away. Sweet!

Now I have to choose a mover, and I'm still just a confused and frustrated as ever. I've had three "visual" estimates (where a guy comes to the house and estimates the weight and bulk of my entire contents). Here are their professional estimates:

US-1 Van Lines 739 cuft/5200 lbs BBB rating = B+ $2400 15 yrs in business

Bekins 643 cuft/4500 lbs BBB rating = B+ $3400 20 yrs in business

Flat Rate 825 cuft/no wt list BBB rating = A $3500 17 yrs in business

What the heck is going on here? Why is there such a wide descrepancy in their cubic ft and weight estimates? How can there be an $1100 difference? This is so maddening!!! Any advice will be enormously appreciated. Thanks....

ink!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:58 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
In Aug, we used a Bekins agent (Liberty Van Lines - Auburn, MA) and it was a pretty decent experience. The only hitch was that they filled the truck too full and had to send some of our stuff on a second truck, but that wasn't a big deal. We just gave them Xmas decorations, winter clothes, and furniture that we didn't need to bring on the second truck.

Nothing got broken, although we lost a lawn trimmer and a small box. They picked up in MA on Thursday and delivered in GA on Monday.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:04 PM

48 posts, read 176,410 times
For my most recent move, (which was from one side of the ATL to the other), I used Two Men & Truck http://www.twomenandatruck.com/. I can honestly say that that was the BEST experience I had with movers in my life, & I have moved several times. They charged me by the hr, & since I had packed up everything & labeled it already, it took them only 2 hrs to completely move me out of one place to the other. Total Cost was $215..about the same as renting a u-haul!! I THINK they do state to state moves, so check the website to make sure.

I had terrible experiences with both Atlas & Allied, so I won't recommend them at all.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:25 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
Default movers by the hour?

I don't think I'd want to pay a mover by the hour especially not during the summer months

Old 01-10-2008, 12:42 PM

48 posts, read 176,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I don't think I'd want to pay a mover by the hour especially not during the summer months
I moved in July 05' with them, it was around 90 degrees that day. I thought $215 to be completly moved out & in in a 2hr time period was a good deal. Especially when renting a u-haul was going to cost me about $275 with me moving it myself. I know little about their state to state prices. I think it's a flat rate like all the other movers. Not sure.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:01 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
yes, that was a good price. I just imagine movers going in slow motion and the move taking way too many hours

Old 01-10-2008, 04:25 PM

38 posts, read 216,345 times
I used AllPoints Moving, and my experience was less than satisfactory. The problem was that the movers felt my things were not packed well enough to their standards. After playing on the fear of possible damage occurring, I was floored by their outrageous prices for the packing material needed to do it "their way." In addition to this, the visual inspection quote done days prior was drastically different once everything was weighed. By then, it was too late to have them unload the truck because of time constraints, and it would have cost me a few hundred dollars if I rescinded on my agreement. In all, it cost me almost $1500 more than I had anticipated.

Hindsight, 1.) I should have kept my things using my original packaging, and 2.) forget about verbal quotes, let me see it in writing before anything is put on that truck. If it's impossible to guesstimate, then I need a buffer with an excerpt stating it will not exceed XX amount. Basically, what I'm saying is "buyer beware." I would not wish what I went through on anyone; however, I'm glad to hear there are a few of us that had positive experiences. I wish I had known about this board prior to my moving.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta