Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:19 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Where was that? I can remember Shakey's Pizza, that was near where Bonanza used to be.
I can't remember the exact building (although I believe the building it was in is still there), but it was on the East side of the road near N. Indian Creek. I went there once for a birthday. It was similar to a Showbiz/Chuck E. Cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 11:19 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Actually, many of their government offices and courts are in Downtown Decatur.
Well, that just puzzles me even more.

I guess it makes sense for DeKalb Police, Sheriff, the jail, etc. to be where they are. It just looks terrible.

(If courts are in Decatur, do they transport inmates back and forth?)

Where's the Fulton County jail? Or the Gwinnett County jail is? Or the Cobb jail? Or the Clayton jail? Out of sight, out of mind.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:33 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well, that just puzzles me even more.

I guess it makes sense for DeKalb Police, Sheriff, the jail, etc. to be where they are. It just looks terrible.

(If courts are in Decatur, do they transport inmates back and forth?)

Where's the Fulton County jail? Or the Gwinnett County jail is? Or the Cobb jail? Or the Clayton jail? Out of sight, out of mind.
Decatur wasn't always like it is today. It was pretty ratty at one time. I believe there is a court at the jail. Maybe the one in Decatur is for civil cases and the one at the jail is criminal.

Not sure the locations of the other county jails. One of my life's goals is to never find out.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Decatur wasn't always like it is today. It was pretty ratty at one time. I believe there is a court at the jail. Maybe the one in Decatur is for civil cases and the one at the jail is criminal.

Not sure the locations of the other county jails. One of my life's goals is to never find out.
Well, that was kinda my point. EVERYBODY knows where the DeKalb jail is ... it's so ominous and ugly and huge. Just driving by the place freaks me out.

I LOOKED UP THE OTHERS:

Fulton County Jail is way over on Marietta Boulevard, across the old rock quarry.

Clayton County Jail is way down in Lovejoy.

Gwinnett County Jail is on 316 at Buford Drive but looks really nice.

Cobb County Jail is tucked way back on "County Service Road," between Austell Highway and Powder Springs Road.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:34 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well, that was kinda my point. EVERYBODY knows where the DeKalb jail is ... it's so ominous and ugly and huge. Just driving by the place freaks me out.
Dekalb probably should have put theirs down by the county dump.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:18 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Forgot the name, but there was a huge happening nightclub there in the late 80's. It wasn't too far off 285. Anyone remember that?

Old 08-23-2014, 06:29 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Forgot the name, but there was a huge happening nightclub there in the late 80's. It wasn't too far off 285. Anyone remember that?
Yep, I went out there and heard BTO.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
I can't remember the exact building (although I believe the building it was in is still there), but it was on the East side of the road near N. Indian Creek. I went there once for a birthday. It was similar to a Showbiz/Chuck E. Cheese.
I remember one of those type places near Applebee's, but I thought it was a Chuck E Cheese.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:00 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
How could you forget the Original Pancake House which is still in business - located across the street from the Georgia Perimeter College Clarkston Campus. They've got the best pancakes around!
Sorry, missed "the best pancakes" part. Maybe I can convince my wife to give it a try...

Old 01-19-2016, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 583 times
Default Memorial Drive

This post about current businesses/buildings still standing on Memorial Drive was posted about a year and a half ago...I wish I would've come across it sooner!

We grew up eating, shopping and hanging out on that stretch of Memorial Drive. We lived off of Stephenson Rd/Rockbridge Rd and back in the early/mid-80's, just the words "Memorial Drive" meant we were headed for a good time...be it going to Turtle's to buy a new cassette, going to a birthday party at Sargent Singers, going to buy our Christmas tree at Hall's, going to get some useless "magic trick" at Eddie's Trick Shop or to walk around the "then brand new" Walden Books near Hambrick Rd.

Who remembers when Sound Warehouse went in?? I bought Great White's tape there when 'Once Bitten, Twice Shy' kept playing on MTV. The Chili's down the hill from the movie theatre and across the street from the Pep Boys was good.

Near Dekalb College...my parents would take us to Manuel's Tavern with other baseball families after games at Redan Park.

I could go on for hours...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta