Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,005 times

Advertisements

If you already moved out, you can skip it.

The LL will have the proof he needs to show you skipped on rent and can file his judgment.

There is nothing you can do to stop that by showing up if you indeed skipped out on rent.

I have an eviction hearing tomorrow as well. I'm the LL. I've been a handful of times now and have a fairly good understanding of what goes down.

You have no worries from the standpoint of having to be there. In my opinion I wouldn't waste my time if I was in your shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 01:20 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
There is nothing you can do to stop that by showing up if you indeed skipped out on rent.

You have no worries from the standpoint of having to be there. In my opinion I wouldn't waste my time if I was in your shoes.
This is not true, and you should go. You should at least look at what the plaintiff has put on his/her filing. If it's too high, you should definitely go otherwise you'll get a default judgement against you for that amount. If not, going may help you anyway: If the landlord has impeccable records, and they are accurate, then you'd be correct. However, landlords are not always as organized as you'd think. If the landlord's proof is faulty, or the books are wrong due to errors, the judge may miss it. By not being there, the judgement can be much higher. Bring your own proof (bank records, cancelled checks, etc) if you can, but otherwise if it's your word against his/hers, the defendant will get the benefit of the doubt from the judge unless the defendant's testimony seems to be full of holes.

As I mentioned, I'm a landlord on the side. I have evicted multiple people. I have sat through other peoples' hearings because of that, not just my own, since many hearings occur at the same time.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
This is not true, and you should go. You should at least look at what the plaintiff has put on his/her filing. If it's too high, you should definitely go otherwise you'll get a default judgement against you for that amount. If not, going may help you anyway: If the landlord has impeccable records, and they are accurate, then you'd be correct. However, landlords are not always as organized as you'd think. If the landlord's proof is faulty, or the books are wrong due to errors, the judge may miss it. By not being there, the judgement can be much higher. Bring your own proof (bank records, cancelled checks, etc) if you can, but otherwise if it's your word against his/hers, the defendant will get the benefit of the doubt from the judge unless the defendant's testimony seems to be full of holes.

As I mentioned, I'm a landlord on the side. I have evicted multiple people. I have sat through other peoples' hearings because of that, not just my own, since many hearings occur at the same time.

The only thing he has to worry about is if they put an amount too high. However, that amount is clearly outlined on the Dispossessory Notice the defendant received PRIOR to this court date. He can see the amount. If he agrees that is what he owes, skip court. If the landlord put $1,000,000 down, he can go to challenge.

And lets be honest, OP isn't got to pay to clear judgement whether it is $1500 or $1,000,000.

Since he didn't bring up the back due amt, I can assume his dispossessory notice is correct. Therefor no reason to show. Its obvious the OP isn't worried about the amount owed, but rather having to go to jail for a no show.

I'm a landlord too. I have an dispossessory hearing in one hour.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:12 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post

I'm a landlord too. I have an dispossessory hearing in one hour.
Sounds like fun. I hope it went well for you.

You're right. As you said, since he didn't bring up that it was wrong, it's probably correct.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:21 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,218 times
Im sorry to hear about your eviction as well and I hope everything works out. But I know how it is to make a living in Atlanta. You live in an apartment...if you are one day late...they charge you whatever for a late fee...then charge you every day that you are late. Triple charge YOU for what the landlord pays for a warrant fee. Even if you did want to work something out you just can't afford it. Not to mention your your utility bills are still coming. They could be just as much as your rent. My son went through this until he finally gave up and had to move.

My suggestion is don't worry about going to court, find another apartment very soon before it affects your credit.

May god bless you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: