Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 12:05 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Inside, work began many months ago on the sprucing up of dated corridor tunnels connecting the concourses. Drab, 1980s ceilings were replaced with bright, white perforated metal panels. The arched panels with recessed cove lighting brighten up the spaces and lend a more user-friendly experience for those who decide to forgo the plane train.

Quote:
On the concourses, work has begun to lift the ceilings at the gates and add more windows, transforming the formerly utilitarian spaces into welcoming areas.

ATLNext
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 01:35 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
When will the A and B concourse renovations be done? I've been in and out of the airport lately and it feels like they haven't had ceilings and gate numbers written on printer paper taped to the walls for forever. C concourse was very, very nice, are they supposed to look like that when done?

Old 10-13-2017, 11:02 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
When will the A and B concourse renovations be done? I've been in and out of the airport lately and it feels like they haven't had ceilings and gate numbers written on printer paper taped to the walls for forever. C concourse was very, very nice, are they supposed to look like that when done?
I think the Atlanta Airport is under a mandate to be under some sort of major construction at all times, under penalty of death to its owners. I cannot remember a time in my life when there hasn't been major construction there. I don't think there's ever been a time when lanes were not blocked, every terminal had a ceiling, or there weren't boarded-off sections.

If it never ends, is it really making it better?

Old 10-14-2017, 01:04 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I think the Atlanta Airport is under a mandate to be under some sort of major construction at all times, under penalty of death to its owners. I cannot remember a time in my life when there hasn't been major construction there. I don't think there's ever been a time when lanes were not blocked, every terminal had a ceiling, or there weren't boarded-off sections.

If it never ends, is it really making it better?
That simply is untrue. I grew up in College Park and major projects have only occurred in patterns: Concourse E, F, 5th runway, extension of concourse A, the old conversion of concourse T to domestic use, etc. This is simply the price of being the world busiest airport which will need continual maintenance. Is it worth, well look at our economy and the number of companies that have move here because of the airport.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 10-14-2017 at 01:12 AM..

Old 10-14-2017, 01:46 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Atl warrior,

I know what he means though. In between the major projects there is always some interior part of the airport being updated.

I think you're both right. The airport is simply that large.

The improvements coming out have been great. Things are much brighter and welcoming, the new signs in the downstairs transit concourses are backlit and look nice.

There is a really nice section with big fake leaves that are LED backlit and video and sound effects.

Things are definitely getting better fast.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:30 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Atl warrior,

I know what he means though. In between the major projects there is always some interior part of the airport being updated.

I think you're both right. The airport is simply that large.

The improvements coming out have been great. Things are much brighter and welcoming, the new signs in the downstairs transit concourses are backlit and look nice.

There is a really nice section with big fake leaves that are LED backlit and video and sound effects.

Things are definitely getting better fast.

Exactly. The number and quality of the restaurants, bars & shops has become pretty impressive as well.

The raising of the roof and the new walls of glass coming to A & B are going to transform the entire feeling of these amazingly busy concourses.

The orange panels are coming off of the exterior of the concourses as well, being replaced with a smoky-grey reflective glass. You can see small finished sections on the north end of C and the south end of T so far.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:28 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Exactly. The number and quality of the restaurants, bars & shops has become pretty impressive as well.

The raising of the roof and the new walls of glass coming to A & B are going to transform the entire feeling of these amazingly busy concourses.

The orange panels are coming off of the exterior of the concourses as well, being replaced with a smoky-grey reflective glass. You can see small finished sections on the north end of C and the south end of T so far.
I know! I can't wait until all the concourses are like that!

The concourses always needed more natural light.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:30 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
The airport has always impressed me how forward looking it is. They are always in the midst of planning for and actually executing projects to enhance capacity and features. I wish this attitude towards infrastructure would find its way over to GDOT and the CoA.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:35 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
The airport has always impressed me how forward looking it is. They are always in the midst of planning for and actually executing projects to enhance capacity and features. I wish this attitude towards infrastructure would find its way over to GDOT and the CoA.
Hahahaha! GDOT for sure, the airport is managed by the City of Atlanta. Surely the State of Georgia would not help an Atlanta asset (airport) progress that much without controlling it.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:22 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
i have a question: is it possible to go through security and visit the concourses without taking a flight? i would like to go and see all these improvements but i have nowhere to fly to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta