Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 05:30 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i have a question: is it possible to go through security and visit the concourses without taking a flight? i would like to go and see all these improvements but i have nowhere to fly to.
Nope, not since 9/11. It was possible back in the 90's, when you could go all the way to the gate without a ticket in hand. Used to be more fun greeting relatives as they got off the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 05:51 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
i have a question: is it possible to go through security and visit the concourses without taking a flight? i would like to go and see all these improvements but i have nowhere to fly to.
Unfortunately no, bryantm3. The only way I know of actually is if you're assisting someone impaired that is traveling, but you have to get some type of screening and Pass from the TSA.

The Atrium is pretty cool though, and all of the retail and restaurants there and pre-security have also changed around.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:54 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Nope, not since 9/11. It was possible back in the 90's, when you could go all the way to the gate without a ticket in hand. Used to be more fun greeting relatives as they got off the plane.
It used to be wonderful pre 9/11! I was out there all the time visiting friends during their connections.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:02 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Quote:
You could buy a full fare REFUNDABLE ticket, Check-In, get the boarding pass, You would need ID Etc to get thru TSA.

Once thru TSA you cancel the ticket and get a Full Refund back to your credit card. Just make sure there are hours before the flight takes off, Some airline even on Refundable tickets have cut off times you have to cancel the ticket by or it becomes non-refundable.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:24 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Exactly. The number and quality of the restaurants, bars & shops has become pretty impressive as well.

The raising of the roof and the new walls of glass coming to A & B are going to transform the entire feeling of these amazingly busy concourses.

The orange panels are coming off of the exterior of the concourses as well, being replaced with a smoky-grey reflective glass. You can see small finished sections on the north end of C and the south end of T so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytnQt99VE5A

Old 10-15-2017, 01:39 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I think the Atlanta Airport is under a mandate to be under some sort of major construction at all times, under penalty of death to its owners. I cannot remember a time in my life when there hasn't been major construction there. I don't think there's ever been a time when lanes were not blocked, every terminal had a ceiling, or there weren't boarded-off sections.

If it never ends, is it really making it better?
You never really answered my question.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:20 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
You never really answered my question.
I didn't try to. I added to your observations that ATL is under perpetual construction and never feels like a finished place.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:02 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
Quote:
Sure, if you buy a refundable ticket. Buy, go through security, and cancel.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:46 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Bryant,

If you're not really in the airport very much... it doesn't matter too much really. Many of these improvements we are so excited about is they are trying to make areas of the airport that were so dark, drab, annoyingly boring, overcrowded, and unpleasant a bit brighter, more airy, and a bit more pleasant. They aren't modern marvels, as much as something really needed to have been done. That and the scale of just how many spaces they had to do, since the airport is rather large.

In any case, they still have a ways to go with the transit corridors and have only finished a few segments of the concourse walls with new glass windows. They have a ways to go before it is all done. So if you don't fly anywhere for a year or two, it won't hurt to wait. You will just see it as those parts of the project are closer to complete.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:27 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It used to be wonderful pre 9/11! I was out there all the time visiting friends during their connections.
It was so much better before security theater. As bored teenagers, we used to get on MARTA and go hang out at the international concourse and ride the plane train for a few hours. Best people watching in Atlanta. It was good, innocent fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta