Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 10:41 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times

Advertisements

I recently got turned onto the possibility of checking out Atlanta GA for the future due to the fact that someone I talked to is so fascinated with it and wants to move there so he kinda got me tempted.
I have a shortlist of Atlanta, Charlotte, Asheville, Louisville, and Portland OR for future cities to explore.
From what I see and heard, it seems like it has a great skyline, less traffic in the city for a city its size, cost of living being reasonable considering the economy has tanked many places. Atlanta also seems to have a vibrant downtown thats gay friendly as well. Can someone provide me with more imput. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 10:58 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Skyline: Atlanta wins over Charlotte with Charlotte being a close second. Natural skyline: Asheville

Traffic: Portland wins because it has by far the best public transportation of the group. Atlanta traffic can be horrible but if you live close to where you work - it's a breeze. Asheville's is a breeze but it's a smaller population.

Cost of Living: My guess would be Atlanta.

Gay Population: Atlanta and it's mainly concentrated in Midtown just north of the "downtown" area.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:03 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
I have a shortlist of Atlanta, Charlotte, Asheville, Louisville, and Portland OR for future cities to explore.
From what I see and heard, it seems like it has a great skyline, less traffic in the city for a city its size, cost of living being reasonable considering the economy has tanked many places. Atlanta also seems to have a vibrant downtown thats gay friendly as well. Can someone provide me with more imput. Thx.
A few things to consider:

1) A city's skyline will have nothing to do with your quality of life, so don't consider that in your list.

2) Atlanta's traffic is infamously bad in some sections of the city. It certainly does not fall into the "less traffic for a city of it's size" category. At one time a couple of years ago, we were ranked as having the 2nd worst congestion just under L.A., though it's slacked off a bit since the recession and more people telecommuting. Regardless, it's overall not great, so you want to live as close to work as possible.

3) "Downtown" as we know it is pretty much divided into more of a business sector that has some run-down areas with a lot of vagrants, and a newer touristy area that surrounds Centennial Olympic Park where the Aquarium is. Not sure if some would call it "vibrant" yet as it's undergoing changes. Just North of downtown is "Midtown" and that area has typically had a large gay community along with highrise condos, standalone homes in older neighborhoods, etc.

If all you're going by so far is what your friends have said, it's strongly advised that you visit the city first before making a decision to relocate here. You have several cities on your list. Narrow it down to 2-3 based on your important factors after you research them, then visit each area to get a feel for it yourself. Atlanta gets overly hyped AND overly slammed for various reasons by various people - only you will know if it fits you or not after spending time here.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:04 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,031 times
Portland would get my vote for natural beauty. It is close to the ocean and the mountains.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:59 PM

316 posts, read 654,526 times
Personally I would rather live in Atlanta over those other cities for various reasons.. I never been to Portland but I have been to the other ones... If you are the type who likes to get out and do things such as shopping, sporting events, nice restaurants, and going to different events such as the parks in city. Atlanta is the best choice. Not to say that these other cities don't offer the same thing, its just the fact that Atlanta offers more in those areas listed above... Now on the on the other hand if you like being at home more or if you want less of a big town feel, than Charlotte, Asheville, and Louisville are better choices... I'm telling you my perspective from these cities except for Portland because I have not been there yet... Another thing to take into consideration is the traffic in Atlanta. It is worse than those other cities but it is worth it because there are plenty of things to do and explore in Atlanta. But on the other hand I have been to cities with worst rush hour traffic out west. IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: