Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:42 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Lenox and Phipps are not competitiors, they are owned by the same company - Simon Malls.
I was about to mention that. Simon of course bought them both later on and they weren't always owned by the same, but that's the way it is now.

Lenox was once an open-air shopping center. Then was enclosed. Then a few years back the second level was added above. Then higher end stores started going in. It's closer to a Phipps type mall now than it ever was, but it still attracts a different type of shopper overall.

For one thing, Lenox is right next to MARTA. There tends to be more in the way of teens hanging out at Lenox than you see at Phipps. Lenox got new management a few years back that isn't tolerant of loitering or teen problems like the old group was, but Phipps has always been very hard-ass on groups of kids, so some folks go to Phipps simply because you tend to see more mature shoppers there and fewer teens/tweens hanging out (if at all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 05:57 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It takes quite a while to traverse the MoA even if you take a shortcut through whatever-they-call-Camp-Snoopy-these-days.
Man, did my kids love Camp Snoopy.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Man, did my kids love Camp Snoopy.
As did mine. We went there 3 times.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:32 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
As did mine. We went there 3 times.
I loved it, too, but mainly in January because with its nice winding paths and the trees all over it represented a nice warm indoor island of green in an otherwise cold white-and-grey wintery world.

I used to live within a mile or so of the MoA, and walking through the amusement park was like taking a little vacation.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:32 PM

26 posts, read 84,275 times
What are the best malls to go to in all of Atlanta? For the middle of the road person? I just moved here and Gwinnet mall is terrible (Duluth) I am going to Mall of Georgia next. I live north but will check out all malls one at a time!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:25 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Why? Synergy.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:42 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple33 View Post
What are the best malls to go to in all of Atlanta? For the middle of the road person? I just moved here and Gwinnet mall is terrible (Duluth) I am going to Mall of Georgia next. I live north but will check out all malls one at a time!

Phipps: For upscale shopping

Lenox: For people watching (you may actually see a celebrity now and then
but I enjoy the watching the variety of people in general)

Discover Mills: For fun activities.

Other: To me the rest are mostly just different sized versions of the same thing.

Last edited by Galounger; 04-01-2008 at 02:53 AM..

Old 04-01-2008, 04:52 AM

78 posts, read 368,160 times
I travel to all of the Macy's and Parisians (Belks) in and around Atlanta for work.
The shopping at Phipps is different from Lenox and the crowd Phipps attracts, for the most part, is different from Lenox. You have a much younger, teenage, shopper at Lenox. Phipps and Lenox have changed a lot over the years and now they seem to be similar in some ways but they still attract a different group.

As far as the best mall in Atlanta, that is all about personal preference.
I love Perimeter. You have Bloomingdales, Nordstroms, and all of the smaller stores you could need.
You have to go to Lenox for Bloomingdales and then across to Phipps if you want to go to Nordstroms.
I also feel like Perimeter is not as crowded as Lenox, but that could have a lot to do with the times I am there.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:32 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,256 times
As Intown Homes said, Lenox started as the larger mall. I thought it was still called Lenox Square (I may be wrong). When Lenox started, it was the largest shopping area outside of downtown, which was still thriving at the time. This probably makes me sound ancient, but I'm not!!! I was very young but we always went shopping at Lenox and in downtown (Rich's and Davison's).

Old 04-02-2008, 05:17 PM

313 posts, read 1,148,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple33 View Post
You should like Mall of Ga much better than the Gwinnett mall...that mall has already had its heyday. The Forum down past Johns' creek is nice. Northpoint mall in Alpharetta is a decent mall too. Perimeter mall in Dunwoody was favorite of mine before all the other outer burbs got built out. My favorite place to shop...hands down are the North Ga premium outlets up 400 in dawsonville....HANDS down. It would be a hike for you...but well worth it for a day trip. When I lived in Cumming, I rarely went to Nortpoint to shop...the outlets have everything under the sun...williams sonoma outlet and pottery barn outlet are worth it enough. You have some Tanger outlets up 85 in Commerce...they are ok....but the premium outlets in dawsonville rock.

For your convenience though...the Mall of Ga should really be your main stomping grounds...it is new and has an outside shopping area and an inside mall area too. Plus there's stuff all around it as well...AS if we dont have enough! Love those developers....they manage to make sure that we have plenty of places to spend our money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta