Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:55 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,118,495 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I know there are alot of creeks in Buckhead. Peachtree Creek, Clear Creek, Nancy Creek and others, I think. I know that Peachtree Creek is well-known for flooding and made quite a 1-2 punch in 2009 in the Buckhead.

What neighborhoods do you know of that flood in Buckhead? There are the flood maps, yes, but what has been your experience? Are there low lying areas that you have found to be more flood-prone? I am learning that a part of Brookwood Hills flooded in 2009. I did not know that. I also recently learned that an area near Northside? flooded.

If you were going to buy a piece of real estate, which areas of Buckhead would see as most flood-prone?

Do you know if the city has taken any measures to alleviate the likelihood of flooding? I read that the city was going to purchase and condemn some houses (in Peachtree Battle, I think) due to flooding and to provide a greenspace for absorption in the future but it seems that there are other areas that could use this as well.

I find it very odd that one of the most expensive areas in town is also somewhat flood prone, and I am wondering what has been done about it. I live here by the way so I am not putting Buckhead down - I am doing research to gain an understanding of feasible areas for next purchase versus areas to possibly be avoided.

ETA: I have also been reading that some areas of Vinings are also flood-prone. Where are those areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:15 AM

23,305 posts, read 43,756,586 times
Two areas that have been notorious for flooding over the years are Woodward Way near Northside Drive and Peachtree Battle Circle just past Howell Mill Rd. You'll notice that the houses on this section of Woodward are built ( or were raised) well above ground level. The city came into PBC some years ago, bought out the flood plain properties and demolished the houses.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:30 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,962,520 times
Yes, the houses in BWH flood that are on the creek. Some Houses around memorial park flood. Some in Hanover West/Bohler flood. Rivermeade floods. Parts
of Vinings flood. Anything low-lying near a stream!

Old 09-08-2014, 12:32 PM

AtlJan, Thanks for that insight. Yes, I could eyeball each of the areas that you mentioned and see how they could flood so I can see they may be somewhat easy to spot. Good to know.

LD, I'll have to check out both of those areas that you mentioned. I don't think I know where either of these areas are located.

Thanks again to both of you for the information!

Old 09-08-2014, 01:05 PM

2,302 posts, read 2,962,520 times
Cochise in Vinings floods in the low lying areas of the street. houses on both sides of the street along the flat part flood. Some other locations in Vinings also flood. You can look at the map view, then at the topography of the lot and gauge the risk somewhat. Some areas near Farmington and Polo Lane flood. With Vinings, and I'm a big fan of the area, you're either near the river, the train tracks or the power lines--pick your favorite.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:28 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,516,062 times
LS, check the floodplain maps here. Georgia DFIRM

As AtlJan said, any low lying area near a stream can flood in a heavy rain.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:42 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,086,294 times
It's already been said but Hanover West floods like crazy. Every time Atlanta gets one of those 3-4 day long rain events that whole area turns into a lake. And i wouldn't call it some houses either. Every house from the corner of Bohler Rd and Hanover West for about 2 blocks headed to Defoors has been rebuilt and raised up because of it.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:59 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,816,283 times
This morning, the bottom of the ramp exiting 75 onto Northside Parkway was flooded (coming from the north). It still looked the same at 2:00 with the water just pooling there. I was afraid to take my big ol' SUV through it because I couldn't tell how deep it was.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:27 PM

I'm out of town. How did Buckhead do with the flooding?

Old 12-27-2015, 09:50 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,516,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I'm out of town. How did Buckhead do with the flooding?
I didn't hear anything about Buckhead but there was significant flooding in some parts of the ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta