Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:02 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,896,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
The same is in every other city. All cities have bad rappers. You see more bad rappers in Atlanta because you love in Atlanta
Bingo. People act like NYC or LA have never had a lame rapper. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 09:12 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,756,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Bingo. People act like NYC or LA have never had a lame rapper. LOL
lol

Old 09-10-2014, 09:39 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,390,131 times
Listen, let's just give credit where credit is due. Yes, rap initially came out of New York, no one is arguing that fact. **applause applause** The documentary about Atlanta's presence in the rap game is just about that; the fact that it came to even have a presence. It was basically like wait, we have something to say too, and we have our own unique rap style and sound. I believe Outkast were the main pioneers (and the best) of the "Dirty South" sound in rap. Our culture and sound wasn't like New York's, and that was point. It wasn't an effort of imitation, but a call of attention to the difference, while also maintaining that difference was relevant.

I don't think Atlanta rappers emerged on the rap scene trying to BE what New York rappers were. For a long time New York was the rap mecca, and I think a lot of artists in the past felt in order to get into the rap game, they had to go by way of New York. And while that may have been true as far as available producers, and industry moguls, it was soon realized that they could carve out their own little incubator of talent and emerge successful still. And apparently, they were right. Atlanta is now a haven of talented producers, that many would be and established (rap as well as hip hop) artists flock to and work with. It's not about one replacing the other, but just about another.

Yes, there are good rappers, but then there are GREAT rappers that have come out of Atlanta, and continue to do so. And of course you have those that should find another career all together; who are putting out garbage lyrics. But like another poster pointed out, untalented rappers come out of every city. For that matter, there's bad singers that come out of everywhere in general in the music industry, it's just a matter of what you prefer.

I remember the days when rap meant something; when it had substance. When rappers talked about social and political issues, and rhymes were poetry carved from stories that were relevant without being necessarily angry all the time. They provoked thought, and called for you take a stand on any given issue. I think the 80's and early 90's were the height of good rap, and I'm not sure we'll witness that kind of commitment to what rap was meant to be at it's infancy again.

Now, it seems that this garbage rap is about that same tiring thing. Women, (and how much can we belittle and dismiss them), the obsession with money, the glorification of violence, (oh, and let's face it, they're all mad about something) partying, and the alcohol or drug of choice. Woooooooooow, how deep.

If you came from the ghetto, saw your father killed, had a mother on drugs, were abused, had to do some things you're ashamed of to survive, ain't nobody mad at you for that, but use your music as a vehicle to show how negativity become positive. Tell your story, but tell it UNTO how your experience has made you a better man, not a bitter man. If you still need healing, that's what therapy is for; or if you need to make peace with those that hurt you, then do so.

The rambling on of these empty, meaningless lyrics that give me nothing to take away, and leave wanting more. Yeah, I'm over it.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:23 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,408,789 times
Yes. Alot of people have already jumped to the conclusion that this documentary was made simply to give a pat on the back to all the present day or latest Atlanta rap artist and they do do a little of that at the end. But, the great majority of this documentary is dedicated to examining how the whole urban music scene evolved in Atlanta from day one. And Atlanta's Hip Hop history is long and rich. So many artist and so much talent in front of and behind the scenes influenced it as well as so many events. I wish they had done more on Kilo and the East Side Boys for instance. There's been a lot of great rappers in Atlanta's past that most people today (especially those not from Atlanta) don't even know about.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:02 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,629,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowAndLater View Post
Atlanta rap is the new LA. Obviously it'll never get better than OG gangsta rap (Pac, Cube, Dre, Snoop, etc) but other than Biggie, IMO, most can stay in NY.

Hip hop mightve came out of the Bronx but Rap came from California.

Not speaking 100%'s, just most.

Jay-Z is cool and all.... but has nothing on Dre.

I'll watch the vid later. Thanks for sharing.
Wow dude...your lack of "hip-hop" knowledge is astounding. However I get why you can't appreciate real NYC hip-hop (especially old-school), I'm sure the Rakims, KRS-Ones, Big Daddy Kanes, Kool G Raps, Nas', Jay-Zs, Pharoahe Monchs, Mos Defs, Talib Kwelis, etc...talked to fast, slick and intelligently for you to follow. Good hip-hop music is about the poetry in the words and the flow. I find that most of today's rappers dumb-down their lyrics, and all there rhymes are extremely literal and therefore easier to digest by the "85s". Therefore it's not about "where you from", you have southern rappers from Outkast to T.I. to Young Jeezy to Jay Electronica who rhyme in the true spirit of hip-hop.

P.S. - for the record homey, Dre may be the dopest producer ever but he never writes/wrote his own raps. Actually Jay-Z has ghost written for him on many occasions.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:18 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,472,679 times
I saw this the day it came out. They had a premier for it, but I didnt hear about that until I saw it on VH1, just happened to be watching at the right time it started. LOL a Mayor Reed rapping Sugarhill Gang. I can remember back in the 90s living in Florida and many of those BOOTYSHAKE (NOT Miami BASS) songs were being played down there. I always thought those guys like Raheem and Kilo were from Florida, cause they had that Bootyshake sound down. MOJO couldnt rap though. He seemed liked he was going for that Melle Mell Kurtis Blow sound but he wasnt very good. Who was the mixtape guy?? he was interesting. Did any of yall have one of his tapes? He seemed like a really cool dude.

The Most Beautiful Girl in the WORLD......

Old 09-10-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowAndLater View Post

Jay-Z is cool and all.... but has nothing on Dre.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:31 PM

719 posts, read 1,325,522 times
Atlanta makes Pop and dance music

Old 09-10-2014, 12:33 PM

719 posts, read 1,325,522 times
But we also have residents who write for a lot of the celebs who live in LA and other cities

Old 09-10-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I will watch this later, but I have a love hate thing with Atlanta rap/ hip hop.

There is SO MUCH STUPID coming out of rappers from Atlanta. Not all of them, but way too many scumbags with no talent and terrible beats rapping about S that has already been done time and time again. Not to mention the negative influence it has on some people is quantifiable.

Then you have Outkast. I really don't understand how Atlanta can produce the greatest rap group of all time, then continue to pump out the lowest hanging fruit of the rap genre. I don't get it.
Word man I feel ya, so glad this doc did feature Gucci Mann, Lil Scrappy, OJ the Juice and the rest of the garbage pail kids that Atlanta supports. It was just a time 94-2006 when Atlanta made some dope gems. Before Soulja Boy and MySpace. I think that may have been the turning point or maybe some of us are just getting OLD. You try to make an effort NOT to hate on something you dont like, but its just so easy to hate it. Im a huge hip hop fan from NY to Compton to Houston to ATL. For the record a lot of the new Westcoast stuff is lame too. In this doc they kinda dont really cover the post Souljaboy weasel rap that really blew up after 2007 that was a high light in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta