Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:49 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,087,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1324 View Post
When I first moved to Atlanta in 2012 I took the train to the five points station thinking there would be some cool shops or restaurants downtown. After about 5 minutes of walking around I got right back on the train and haven't been there again since.

I would not feel safe at all living downtown.
I don't know why, but I laughed so hard at this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 05:17 AM

445 posts, read 513,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy19 View Post
Downtown ATL Is really making a change or should i rather say a come back. Renting would be nice in Midtown but i think purchasing downtown and hold will be a great choice.
Ditto.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:16 PM

265 posts, read 400,458 times
You guys have got me looking at some of the prices of condos right smack in the center of downtown, by Five Points, and I'm amazed at some of the low prices I'm seeing. Thanks for the heads up. It might be something to consider after a short 12 month stint of renting in midtown or something...

Old 09-11-2014, 04:45 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,716,202 times
I'm downtown a lot, for recreational purposes and for school. It's a great place, and compared to midtown right now, you can get in on the cheap (think rising condo values in the near future). There are a ton of new restaurants, lots of small stores with daily needs, coffee shops, bars, museums, restaurants, etc. etc. IMO, the architecture is much nicer than in midtown as well - I personally like the dense, historic look. Also, walking around anywhere north of 5 points, I'd say Marietta St. is the dividing line, is as safe at night as any other major city. Actually, there is less crime in downtown than there is in midtown, which I think says a lot about people's perceptions. There are always cops out, and there are always people walking around, which is a huge change from even 5 years ago. With multiple marta stations, the coming streetcar, and a dense street grid unparalleled by anywhere else in Atlanta, I'd say downtown is a great place to live, and it's just getting better by the week. All downtown needs now is a larger grocery store, but even then, take the train up a few stops to midtown and you've got it. Definitely a car-free lifestyle.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:06 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,228,397 times
Downtown has the Atlanta Police, GSU Police, Homeland Security Officers, and the Ambassador Force.

It's safe.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:58 AM

^ That is something I completely never thought to factor in, right there. Much appreciated!!

So, the further I get into my apartment searches, the more I'm realizing that prices are considerably better downtown. I'm even going to start considering places that are *just* slightly south of Marietta St. The moment you cross that street heading south, in every real estate map I've been looking at, the prices go down by a good couple of hundred dollars or more. I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but I've been researching a whole lot lately and the more I look into it, the more downtown is looking desirable. There's no way I would make a decision without going there first and spending a night or two there, to test things out so to speak... but I'm finding places that are only a dollar per square foot or so, which also include a secured parking space. I figure as long as I don't stray to far past 5 points station, it can't be that bad.

Currently, here in Tampa, my wife and I live in what is absolutely referred to as the ghetto, nearby the historic district known as Ybor. We already are used to not walking down the street in our neighborhood at nighttime... so if that's the way it must be for us in Atlanta, in order to save money, then we will do that.

It also seems like there is a lot of evidence that DT is being renovated and built-up... can anyone vouch for that?

Old 09-12-2014, 12:11 PM

445 posts, read 513,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
It also seems like there is a lot of evidence that DT is being renovated and built-up... can anyone vouch for that?
I'm not an expert on the area, but I would guess than in 5 to 10 years there are going to be a lot of people who wish they had bought in downtown. I think a lot of it has to do with GSU's expansion, future sale of Underground, general move of younger people back into city centers, etc.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,087,885 times
If they can fix up south of Marietta Str, all of downtown can go somewhere, but it seems focused on Centennial Park at the moment.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:05 AM

One thing I've been noticing about downtown is that parking is apparently a bit of a problem. When I look at apartments to rent in midtown, they tend to come with at least 1 parking space, sometimes 2. But when I look at apartments in downtown, it seems I'm lucky if it says "garage down the street available for parking." Of course they don't mention how much it costs to secure a parking spot in said garages.

So my question is, how much do parking spots typically cost in these downtown garages/lots? This might be the make-or-break criterion that helps me to decide whether midtown or downtown...

Old 09-15-2014, 09:19 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,372,080 times
Umm...why not just live at Lindbergh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta