Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:15 PM

11 posts, read 8,907 times

Advertisements

It would be nice to see more development oriented transit to go along with these station developments, by which I mean identifying places where things are happening now and connecting them with viable transit. When so much of metro ATL is virtually inaccessible via public transportation, the dream of a vehicle free lifestyle will stay a dream for all but those who have no other choice. And, you'll still end up with enormous parking decks at these so-called "transit oriented" developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 09:54 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
The inter-branch connections are very important, and currently, very-neglected. Outside I-285, everyone is pretty much heading toward Atlanta, but once they reach I-285, the destinations are a little more diffuse with Perimeter, Buckhead, Emory, Northlake, Cumberland and the airport being prime non-central locations. Developments like Brookhaven or Edgewood-Candler Park can only go so far with all the transit focused on the Atlanta spine from Lindbergh down through five Points. People along the Blue Line will want to head to Lenox for instance, and having to go all the way to Five Points while not necessarily bad, isn't really that great. Something like this could be improved right now between the Red and Gold lines with more bus service between Brookhaven or Chamblee and Dunwoody. The only Red-Gold service is route 25, which runs only sporadically in its "core" and alternates each of these already-sporadic runs between Doraville and Medical Center, hardly useful by any stretch. Blue-Gold is marginally better with 19 running every 40 minutes throughout the day from Decatur to Chamblee, but except for getting people to/from the VA Hospital, doesn't really serve much.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:26 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The inter-branch connections are very important, and currently, very-neglected. Outside I-285, everyone is pretty much heading toward Atlanta, but once they reach I-285, the destinations are a little more diffuse with Perimeter, Buckhead, Emory, Northlake, Cumberland and the airport being prime non-central locations. Developments like Brookhaven or Edgewood-Candler Park can only go so far with all the transit focused on the Atlanta spine from Lindbergh down through five Points. People along the Blue Line will want to head to Lenox for instance, and having to go all the way to Five Points while not necessarily bad, isn't really that great. Something like this could be improved right now between the Red and Gold lines with more bus service between Brookhaven or Chamblee and Dunwoody. The only Red-Gold service is route 25, which runs only sporadically in its "core" and alternates each of these already-sporadic runs between Doraville and Medical Center, hardly useful by any stretch. Blue-Gold is marginally better with 19 running every 40 minutes throughout the day from Decatur to Chamblee, but except for getting people to/from the VA Hospital, doesn't really serve much.
I wouldn't expect a lot of riders to transfer from a train to bus then to train, just to keep from riding to five points. IRS still faster and easier to transfer at five points.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:11 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
It's only faster and easier because MARTA's bus system currently sucks. Make it just as fast if not faster and people will do it, especially if you're only doing train->bus such as maybe East Lake->Avondale->Buckhead, you might not even need the second train at all. Plus, you'd be providing service to two major destinations to the intermediate area which isn't how most MARTA bus routes are, they are typically from an outlying area to one area of interest, which doesn't do these TODs any good.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:19 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,094 times
As part of this, they really should renovate the interiors of the oldest MARTA stations. They look like something someone puked out in the 70s after they passed out from drinking too much, landing on a terra-cotta bathroom tile floor from which they drew their inspiration.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:16 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post

Developments on top of MARTA rail stations? Yes, please. | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Some MARTA rail stations in the middle of Atlanta's most dense areas might finally see developments built on top of them. Transit officials today officially announced that MARTA was gauging interest in developing above the Arts Center, Lenox, Midtown, and North Avenue stations. Says MARTA:

It's look beautiful to me,it's great for our world-class city to have world-class looking stations.However,I have to give my props to Keith Parker because I guarantee you that if he wasn't in that chair, MARTA would have been the as it is now.

"""' MARTA IS GETTING SMARTA BECAUSE OF KEITHA PARK"A" """
Id live in one of these developments IF it was affordable. Id really like to eventually invest in a condo to live in for years here in Atlanta, but I dont like the prices I have been seeing. But I would love to be one of the bodies living or working on top of a Marta Station.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:23 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No, Lindbergh City Center is a TOD that was built around the station.
Buckhead is just a station in a trench, which the Atlanta Financial Center spans along with GA 400.
Georgia State is a better example. The station is integrated into the state building.
Oh so thats the State Building and Not the university?? LOL I never knew that. Some times when you stop at that station you can see like office windows but I always figured it was building for students.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:14 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,038 times
"MARTA is planning to meet with developers on Jan. 19 as it ramps up efforts to redevelop 10-acre site at its Brookhaven/Oglethorpe transit station.

The transit authority has issued a Request for Qualifications to convert the large surface parking lot next to the station into a mixed-use development, including residential and retail space. A new Brookhaven city hall and library are also possible anchors of the project..."

MARTA working on 10-acre Brookhaven/Oglethorpe redevelopment (SLIDESHOW) - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 01-08-2015, 11:29 AM

925 posts, read 1,333,521 times
Looks like another lindberg stations. Seems like a good direction to go for that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta