Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:10 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkskinman740 View Post
I think what the previous poster was trying to say was that with whites leaving and taking their economic dollars with them it caused the businesses to leave the area thus reducing the property values and desirability. Its a relevant point but I think the bigger point is poverty and the apartment complexes falling into disarray which brings some bad influences.

I actually think crime can be put on all races and it is more of a poverty issue. Gwinnett, Doraville, Chamblee, crime has increased dramatically thanks to Latinos and Asians in gang and drug activity. So you can't put crime on just race. I'm pretty sure nobody is building Mega mansions next to Trailer parks for the same reason......because poor whites commit crimes(anybody ever heard of meth heads?). To me its a poverty issue that spans races.

The reason that we as blacks get the finger pointed our way is because we ar e denied opportunites more than any other race. Whether its redlining by banks(which prevents business loans in certain areas) or whether is discrimination in general. Plus it seems like we make great news stories for the local TV stations for some reason despite the fact that tons of crime goes on in many other counties that have very low black populations.
I agree that it was more of a poverty issue than a race issue. As much as anything, it was not just the "whites" that fled or avoided SM--it was people of all races who originally were moving to SM because of the good schools. Blacks who placed a high value on superior schools left and avoided SM too, and still do--some folks don't notice, just because it is more obvious when the whites leave (or avoid) a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 12:39 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I wouldn't be surprised to see Stone Mountain make a comeback. It basically has good bones.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:17 PM

265 posts, read 402,089 times
One thing that stands out to me about this neighborhood is that there are TONS of houses with full, daylight basements. That's always been something I would like in a house. So obviously in my real estate searches, Stone Mountain features heavily.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:24 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
I've been exploring real estate sites looking at houses for sale all around the perimeter, and one thing I keep noticing is there are several houses for under 100k in SM that commonly have 4+ bedrooms, large yard, etc. Why is this? They don't look all that run down either, in most cases. So, what happened in Stone Mountain that everyone is selling their houses so cheap? Is the groundwater contaminated or something?

Black on black crime, drive-by's, lousy schools, horrendous commutes, unsafe Marta stations....interested?

Old 09-22-2014, 01:28 PM

When you put it that way, hell no. But I'll be paying attention to that neighborhood, and as soon as things start changing I just might buy a home there as an investment.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:31 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
When you put it that way, hell no. But I'll be paying attention to that neighborhood, and as soon as things start changing I just might buy a home there as an investment.

Why? And put up with renters who don't pay?

Old 09-22-2014, 01:38 PM

LOL, no, that's what I meant by "as soon as things start changing." Everyone has unanimously convinced me that it is a place to stay away from, for now.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:20 PM

268 posts, read 344,561 times
lol i own a condo in morrow but live in everett wa in metro seattle that crime/race stuff most folks believe in will get turned upside down here.poor folks commit crime is the bottom line

Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 AM

253 posts, read 303,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
lol i own a condo in morrow but live in everett wa in metro seattle that crime/race stuff most folks believe in will get turned upside down here.poor folks commit crime is the bottom line

Exactly, its all economic. People commit crimes to people in the closest proximity the whole "color" vs "color" crime is racist propaganda.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:28 AM

One thing there is no shortage of here at City-Data is racist propaganda, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta