Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:11 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times

Advertisements

My fiance works in Buckhead, I work downtown....we generally use Friday as our date night....rather than face that horrible traffic we just meet up for dinner then head home

To the OP, just check out the map on georgianavigator.com through out your day to get an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 10:31 AM

72 posts, read 298,364 times
Default best area to avoid freeway?

So JPD, what areas do you think allow you to avoid the freeways? Even though we won't have to commute to downtown, avoiding the freeways definitely sounds like a good thing.

The Friday traffic thing happens here in Boston, too - maybe not as bad as ATL, but even in our suburb 35 miles south of Boston, I HATE going anywhere after 2pm on a Friday afternoon. The afternoon rush hour in Boston on Fridays seems to start around 2pm and doesn't really end until after 7pm.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:46 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Exodus View Post
So JPD, what areas do you think allow you to avoid the freeways? Even though we won't have to commute to downtown, avoiding the freeways definitely sounds like a good thing.
I live in Tucker, which is just outside of I-285 to the east (slightly northeast) of Atlanta and I never have to use the freeway to get around. Other areas that I'm familiar with that give you easy access to Downtown/Midtown without using the freeway are Decatur, Emory, Druid Hills, Avondale any of the "intown" neighborhoods (Virginia-Highland, Candler Park, Inman Park, Grant Park, etc.) Basically, just about anywhere near the East line of the Marta rail puts you close enough to the city with no need for freeway travel.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:13 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Exodus View Post

The Friday traffic thing happens here in Boston, too - maybe not as bad as ATL, but even in our suburb 35 miles south of Boston, I HATE going anywhere after 2pm on a Friday afternoon. The afternoon rush hour in Boston on Fridays seems to start around 2pm and doesn't really end until after 7pm.
Your best device to own here is a good GPS system.

Magellin has one at Costco right now in the stores for $349 that even has a feature on it with real-time traffic reports so it'll suggest other routes during heavy traffic. A Garmin version is slightly more with similar features. You can also pick "avoid interstates" and it will show you how to get somewhere without getting on a single freeway. A VERY handy thing to have here. I mean - VERY. Garmin and Magellin seem to work the best around Atlanta. The "Mio" brand is less expensive but works decently well. TomTom just plain stinks around here.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Your best device to own here is a good GPS system.

Magellin has one at Costco right now in the stores for $349 that even has a feature on it with real-time traffic reports so it'll suggest other routes during heavy traffic. A Garmin version is slightly more with similar features. You can also pick "avoid interstates" and it will show you how to get somewhere without getting on a single freeway. A VERY handy thing to have here. I mean - VERY. Garmin and Magellin seem to work the best around Atlanta. The "Mio" brand is less expensive but works decently well. TomTom just plain stinks around here.
I have a Garmin in my work vehicle and it is deadly accurate

Old 12-28-2007, 06:25 PM

30 posts, read 147,705 times
Hopefully, you have visited the Atlanta area a few times to get a "feel" for that traffic gridlock. I am also from the Boston area and have visited my son several times and believe me, it is a nightmare. Everything you do there has to be well planned out or you will sit in traffic. Atlanta is second to LA for traffic congestion. I want to move there but it would be like trading one problem for another. Good Luck!

Old 12-28-2007, 06:30 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Driving around suburban Boston and suburban ATL is pretty similar... Arterials that meet at all kinds of angles. Central Boston has a much more developed grid whereas Central Atlanta is still largely arterial. What you get to avoid in metro ATL is those 5 star rotaries all over the place that drive me crazy in Boston :-) I do wish some ATL intersections would have roundabouts put in, though...

Old 01-02-2008, 02:07 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
What's your price range? If you can afford $300K+ then definitely look to the hoods that JPD mentioned. They have the benefit of also having very good public schools. I live in Candler Park ($397K for my 1925 duplex - get $1100/month rent from the upstairs apt) and my son goes to Mary Lin ES. We're EXTREMELY happy here. I feel just about immune to traffic, no matter what day of the week it is or if there's something going on. Most of the bad traffic is on the interstate and highways and I don't have to get on them to get around the city from my hood. I can walk to resturaunts, the park that the neighborhood is named after (which has a 9-hold golf course on it and a fabulous playground and a wonderful FallFest every October), to my son's school, and I even walk to work (that takes an hour but it's my exercise for that day).

So, try your best to live in one of the neighborhoods inside the city. Here's a link that talks about my hood and has links to other intown neighborhoods:

Candler Park Atlanta Map - interactive map of Candler Park with neighborhood information, schools, business, parks, and churches

Good luck and welcome to Atlanta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta