Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 02:21 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times

Advertisements

I'm actually surprised that people still think Grant Park is unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 02:35 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
Hubby and I may have a move to ATL in the works. I'd be working downtown and he will most likely go back to school to finish his undergrad and then on to law school possibly. He rides a motorcycle and I'm not opposed to public transport if I don't have to drive. Lol. To that end, I don't want to get stuck in ATL traffic (I used to live in Kennesaw way back when), so we'd want to be close to downtown.

But I also want to live in a historic neighborhood that SAFE and walkable. We will be traveling "home" (Greenville, SC) on a regular basis, so we don't want to come home to door being kicked in and our stuff taken. I'm also a runner and would like to be able to do that in a safe place (ie unaccosted). So how are the downtown neighborhoods doing these days? I know of Grant Park, Inman Park, VA Highlands, Kirkwood, etc. I've heard that East Atlanta is on the rise.

Are there other neighborhoods on the rise that are safe? I really like the Midtown area off of Howell Mill (by the Goat Farm). I know there are some lofts and condos over that way but are there any safe neighborhoods? I'm not opposed to living in a loft, though we have to have a decent amount of space (1200 sq ft, 2 bedrooms, etc) and a garage for the hubby's Triumph. I'm thinking that our budget will roughly be $1500/month. Maybe a little more. No kiddos yet, so schools not a factor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
College Park seems like a pretty good option. It has great transit access, it's walkable, safe, and there isn't a lot of traffic. In the past it wasn't such a great place, but it has really turned around. You can pretty much live anywhere in HISTORIC College Park and not worry about crime. If it was dangerous i'm pretty sure Woodward Academy wouldn't be there.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:41 PM

197 posts, read 183,902 times
Default crime

Grant Park has crime, more than inman park excluding L5P. This is the last month's crime map. It's centralized around I20, memorial, and boulevard.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a Safe, Historic Neighborhood-screen-shot-2014-09-24-4.39.16  

Old 09-24-2014, 02:51 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
Grant Park has crime, more than inman park excluding L5P. This is the last month's crime map. It's centralized around I20, memorial, and boulevard.
Only one crime in Cabbagetown last month!

Old 09-24-2014, 02:51 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Just wanted to say I used to go to the zoo once a week and I would always see runners out around Grant Park and near the zoo, including females. So I think the crime aspect is up to one's perspective, but I never thought that Grant Park was unsafe and I am a female as well.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:29 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times
No big deal. There is alot of unfortunate characterizing of areas below I-20. People really need to stop that. Heyx if your wife says its safex so be it. I am in no way the expert on Grant Park and never intended to present myself as if I was bc I just don't spend enough time there to have my own opinion. I love the Victorians there by the way. I thought of moving there but I am not a runner and it was just too far from Buckhead where my kid goes to school. I moved intown to AVOID traffic! Take care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Sorry if I jumped, but you are right, I'm a bit sensitive on the topic because there are MANY people in Atlanta (especially from the burbs) who think that anything below 20 is dangerous, even if they haven't been there in years. It is annoying having to constantly defend a really great area to people who don't know any better, but should (not saying this is you, just in general).

But in any case, my perspective is that of a male, but also from my wife and the many other women I know who live, work, run, play, etc. in the neighborhood. I'll leave it at that, but IMO and based on APD crime stats, it's just as safe as the many other desirable n'hoods in Atlanta.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:33 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times
Hi Robert, thanks for your email. I wasn't the OP asking for a referral to areas but I am sure she will be able to make use of the app!
Quote:
Virginia Highland is expensive but extremely quaint. Lots of Atlanta establishments here with a solid nightlife and family friendly atmosphere. Tough to find a 2BR here under 1500, but can be done.

Candler Park is extremely family friendly with a laid back vibe with one of the best parks in the city.

Poncey-Highland is where I live and I love it! It's smack dab right in the middle of everything. Awesome for
biking.

Inman Park has the beautiful historic victorian homes, majestic trees, tasty trendy restaurants, eclectic mix of people, and awesome transit with MARTA and upcoming streetcar/beltline extensions.

Grant Park is the largest historic district in the city, has a wonderful park, beautiful tree lined streets, some cafes, but i-20 runs through the top of it leaving it feeling disconnected from the rest of the neighborhood.

Cabbagetown is a small community right beside Old Fourth Ward that revolves around the railroad tracks, Carroll Street, and the cemetery. Stacks lofts rule the skyline here and they are the architectural gem of the city IMO.

Old Fourth Ward has an incredible new buzz around the historic fourth ward park, an emerging nightlife scene on edgewood, and lots of art. Easy to find a 2BR at 1500.

SAFETY wise I put them in order from safest to least safe. The Beltline runs through all of these neighborhoods insuring increasing property values and a general safety to the area.

Download the app, Lovely, it combines craigslist and hotpads/zillow/trulia listings into one seamless place. Set your radius notification to the area and it will automatically alert you when the next apartment pops up. Very handy because most great places go FAST.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:59 AM

411 posts, read 853,008 times
Quote:
Virginia Highland is expensive but extremely quaint. Lots of Atlanta establishments here with a solid nightlife and family friendly atmosphere. Tough to find a 2BR here under 1500, but can be done.

Candler Park is extremely family friendly with a laid back vibe with one of the best parks in the city.

Poncey-Highland is where I live and I love it! It's smack dab right in the middle of everything. Awesome for
biking.

Inman Park has the beautiful historic victorian homes, majestic trees, tasty trendy restaurants, eclectic mix of people, and awesome transit with MARTA and upcoming streetcar/beltline extensions.

Grant Park is the largest historic district in the city, has a wonderful park, beautiful tree lined streets, some cafes, but i-20 runs through the top of it leaving it feeling disconnected from the rest of the neighborhood.

Cabbagetown is a small community right beside Old Fourth Ward that revolves around the railroad tracks, Carroll Street, and the cemetery. Stacks lofts rule the skyline here and they are the architectural gem of the city IMO.

Old Fourth Ward has an incredible new buzz around the historic fourth ward park, an emerging nightlife scene on edgewood, and lots of art. Easy to find a 2BR at 1500.

SAFETY wise I put them in order from safest to least safe. The Beltline runs through all of these neighborhoods insuring increasing property values and a general safety to the area.

Download the app, Lovely, it combines craigslist and hotpads/zillow/trulia listings into one seamless place. Set your radius notification to the area and it will automatically alert you when the next apartment pops up. Very handy because most great places go FAST.
Thanks for the write-ups. I've been looking at the Old Fourth Ward too, mostly because of the new streetcar. I'm a public transportation geek. That is the app name? I'm a real estate stalker anyway so I will jump on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemgin
I live immediately adjacent to the neighborhood of Grant Park. I run through all parts of the neighborhood and park all the time. My partner (female) does as well. Other than safely crossing streets, I never fear for my or her safety.
Thanks Pemegin. This is the sort of perspective that is important. I live in a small town now, and don't have a problem running after night, but I know that will have to cease if we move to the "big city". It is a shame but such is the world we live in.

Thanks everyone for the input. It's been very helpful. I'm not a suburban dweller--I always prefer the "action" of an intown neighborhood over the gated community feel. I know downtowns and intown neighborhoods in most cities have suffered the stigma of being dangerous or dodgy, especially after the "White Flight" of the 60s and 70s (did I mention my background is historical preservation/urban planning?) Even so, I know that there will be incidents of crime. I don't even really care about car break-ins, to be honest. Just as long as someone isn't kicking my door in and invading my personal space (and upsetting my cats, LOL).

Thanks again everyone! If everything goes through, I will most likely be back with more questions and/or will be actively participating.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:11 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I think Grant Park suffers from the old "stay away from anywhere south of I-20" perception, but telling people to give it a second look because of crime is entirely bad advice.
lol...try living in the Tri-Cities. Everyone seems to think it is a bullet-ridden warzone filled with people who don't have any other choices down here.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:17 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
Just quickly jumping in to say that there is crime in the 'burbs too. In the past two months, there have been seven break-ins in my neighborhood in North Sandy Springs. 5 of the 7 were garden-variety car break-ins (lock your doors and don't leave visible electronics in your cars, people!), but two were full-blown home invasions, with people entering the house in the middle of the night and grabbing what they can. Look, crime can happen anywhere. Don't invite it. Lock your car, lock your house, be cognizant of what people can see through windows (whether in the car or the house). The Sandy Springs police's advice to our neighbors was everything I just said plus "get a dog!" My black lab is a complete wimp (she's more of a threat to lick you to death than to attack you), but she sounds pretty ferocious when the lawn guy is on our deck blowing leaves. Don't assume crime won't happen because you're in a "safe" neighborhood! Don't fool yourself into believing that criminals don't know where the "nice" neighborhoods are, either. JMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta