Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,107 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I'll be working in midtown and I have an offer of around 70K/annum before taxes. Just wanted to know what the city is like and what kind of a lifestyle I can afford with this salary. Also, should I live in the urban area near or around midtown or in the suburbs and what would be rent and other expenses be like for each case. I'm also thinking if it's an easy city to settle into in terms of the community and diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 09:31 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times
You can afford a solid middle class lifestyle with that salary.

I honestly would rent someone near work for a year or so, to get your bearings and decide from there what area and what type of housing suits you best.

As far as the city - both community and diversity depend on where you put down your roots. Diversity is pretty easy - there is a little of everybody here, but community, is an individual thing.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:37 AM

Where should I put down my roots then? I'd like some place with easy access and preferably not very crowds or cramped. What kind of an accommodation {roots } can I expect around say a 600-700 monthly and if I go up to around a grand? Also, what are the other living costs like? Food, transport?

Old 10-01-2014, 09:51 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Just you? or Is there Spouse/Kids?

70K gross = About 50K after Taxes
(Federal 15% State 6% Social Security 6.2% Medicare 1.45% )

You will need to pay Part of your Health Ins, Dental Etc: Figure ~$1500-2000 year + Deductible/co-pays

I would avoid getting a car at this point, Try to find a apartment near the MARTA (Subway/Bus) system, and use that to get to/from work if you can. (Marta $2.50 per trip- Free transfer Little cheaper if you get a monthly fare loaded on your card) If you need a car sometime, ZipCars work well for Urbanizes

MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority
Atlanta car sharing rates & plans

Old 10-01-2014, 09:53 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times
Will you be bringing a car, or needing one? I would start out, like I said, renting an apartment - if you don't have a car, then find an apartment on the train line. Depending on where you work in Midtown - it should be relatively easy access to MARTA. I don't think there is much risk of cramped quarters in Atlanta, lol. Where would you be moving from?

600-700 a month would most likely require a roommate. 800-900 a month and you should be able to find a good one bedroom apartment somewhere. Maybe even a 2 bedroom in an older complex.

If your office is on the MARTA line - they may subsidize a monthly train pass for you. If you need to buy or lease a car - expect that to be $300-400 a month or so. (depending on what kind of car you get - that includes gas and insurance - maybe make that 500 in the upper range.)

Food prices are relative to whether you intend to eat all of your meals out or if you can cook and buy groceries.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:53 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
What are your work hours?

How about living in the suburbs and taking the express bus or Marta to Midtown

Old 10-01-2014, 10:16 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
What country are you from? There is a decently large Asian population in metro Atlanta. Especially towards the northeast with a large population of Korean. Gwinnett County is diverse and has many different nationalities. I grew up in Gwinnett County and went to school with a lot of Koreans. Taiwan and China were also well represented. If South Asian, there were many from India. I knew two that spoke Malayalam in class to each other that were still fluent in English and high achievers, and this wasn't even at the most diverse school in the county. There's a Hindu temple in Lilburn in Gwinnett County. There are all sorts of ethnic markets from South Asian to H-Mart which caters to Koreans. So if you're looking to join a community that shares your background you're likely to find it. Are you bringing a family? And are schools important?

Old 10-01-2014, 08:40 PM

No families. Single as anything. No loans. Just me. So I got that going for me, which is nice . So let's say about 4000 take home out of which a 1000 goes out to transport and accommodation. Food will be another major as I'm celiac AND Muslim, so can't eat stuff on the go from the outside (except if there's some place selling HALAL gluten-free stuff ��). Any other major expenses? And I'm moving from South Asia. Indian/Pakistani ethnically.

Also, don't think living out in the suburbs is for me. I'm mid twenties.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:53 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Cell Phone about 50-60/month + cost of phone (One time cost 200+)
Cable tv + Internet packages Start @ ~100/month (depending on how what you like to watch)
Renter Ins 15/month

If you get a Car you car Ins will be in the 2000+/yr range
Parking? Car Maintenance? Car Loan Payment? StateTax on Car Purchase 7% of its value.
Power/ Natural Gas Elec 40-100/month NGas 20-50/month
Maybe Water/Sewer 40/month

Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Yea you won't want to live too far out in the suburbs. I'm not that familiar with the Atlanta Muslim community but I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding it. Atlanta is a pretty cosmopolitan city. It might not be New York City level but it's not like being in a small town either. I just did a quick Google search for halal and there was only one result near midtown just north of the Georgia Tech campus. Most places seemed to be on the east side near 285 near Decatur, Scottdale and Clarkston so if that's important to you then I would recommend the city center of Decatur. It's commonly recommended on this site, it's not far from the city of Atlanta and depending on where your job is you could take the Marta train to work. As for gluten free, well, I have no idea haha. Fortunately Atlanta is large enough to attract people from all over, you certainly won't be the only Muslim here or the only one avoiding gluten. Only other thing to decide is if you want to be in an apartment or in a house just outside the densest parts of the city. Like others have said, might be best to just rent for a year and get a feel for the city. That salary is plenty to support just yourself in the Atlanta area so you should be able to enjoy the city and explore it. If you want to be closer to work, just choose midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta