Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 07:41 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,261 times

Advertisements

So I was over in the area today and noticed that this community seems so different in look from other (neighboring) Buckhead areas. The homes are really close together, older frame and there doesn't appear to be a ton of emphasis on the front yards. Hmm. It just seemed out of place. Has Peachtree Hills always been a part of Buckhead or was it somehow brought in more recently? It seems so different from neighboring Brookwood Hills and Garden Hills. Anyone have insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 07:54 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
So I was over in the area today and noticed that this community seems so different in look from other (neighboring) Buckhead areas. The homes are really close together, older frame and there doesn't appear to be a ton of emphasis on the front yards. Hmm. It just seemed out of place. Has Peachtree Hills always been a part of Buckhead or was it somehow brought in more recently? It seems so different from neighboring Brookwood Hills and Garden Hills. Anyone have insight?
Nah, Peachtree Hills has been part of Buckhead for 100 years. They started developing it around 1910. Very cozy.

It doesn't seem out of place at all to me - a lot of Buckhead is like that. (Compare to Loring Heights, Springlake, Peachtree Park, etc.).

Old 10-14-2014, 08:50 AM

So I did not think Loring Height was Buckhead at all (also does not seem so from their website) but maybe I am wrong. I have seen Springlake and it looks alot more modern and maintained. You are right about Peachtree Park. You know, it costs alot of money to live in Buckhead but some of these neighborhoods look kind of helter skelter. Peachtree Park looks this way too. In some of them, the lawns are somewhat unkempt (meaning they take on the look of the lawns in Candler Park, just kind of a bit of grass here, a bit of grass there, bushes growing randomly, etc. typical city lawns), the houses are old and all over the place in look and it just reminds me alot more of Oakhurst than Buckhead. No offense to the people in Oakhurst but the housing in Oakhurst costs alot less too and this is part of the Oakhurst identity. This is not part of the Buckhead identity so it's kind of odd (to me). These houses are going for half a mil. That's alot of money. Then you go to neighboring areas like Garden Hills, Brookwood Hills, Collier Hills and it looks so much more well-maintained. The lawns, etc. The look is just different. Peachtree Hills almost seems more like the Lindbergh area. Peachtree Park as well. I was wondering if it was originally part of Lindbergh (which Peachtree Hills backs up to).

The reason I noticed all this is because I was driving over in the area to see a house for sale and the homeowner advertised that there was all new landscaping and then I noticed that almost every house in the street could have used a bit of landscaping and the house that I was viewing was beautiful but it was an outlier. Just noticed that. I was turned off from the house because of the look of the entire street/community. The house was cleaned up beautifully but it was an outlier.

ETA: I think the park and the gym over there are super cool and very convenient so that is a perk to being over in Peachtree Hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Nah, Peachtree Hills has been part of Buckhead for 100 years. They started developing it around 1910. Very cozy.

It doesn't seem out of place at all to me - a lot of Buckhead is like that. (Compare to Loring Heights, Springlake, Peachtree Park, etc.).

Last edited by LovelySummer; 10-14-2014 at 08:59 AM..

Old 10-14-2014, 09:08 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
Lindbergh is also Buckhead.

Ptree Hills is a bit of a smorgasbord because you have aging homes with a diverse age group. A lot of young folks bringing the neighborhood up to speed, some older folks that have been there forever who may or may not stay on top of maintenance, and some even ultra modern residences.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
So I did not think Loring Height was Buckhead at all (also does not seem so from their website) but maybe I am wrong. I have seen Springlake and it looks alot more modern and maintained. You are right about Peachtree Park. You know, it costs alot of money to live in Buckhead but some of these neighborhoods look kind of helter skelter. Peachtree Park looks this way too. In some of them, the lawns are somewhat unkempt (meaning they take on the look of the lawns in Candler Park, just kind of a bit of grass here, a bit of grass there, bushes growing randomly, etc. typical city lawns), the houses are old and all over the place in look and it just reminds me alot more of Oakhurst than Buckhead. No offense to the people in Oakhurst but the housing in Oakhurst costs alot less too and this is part of the Oakhurst identity. This is not part of the Buckhead identity so it's kind of odd (to me). These houses are going for half a mil. That's alot of money. Then you go to neighboring areas like Garden Hills, Brookwood Hills, Collier Hills and it looks so much more well-maintained. The lawns, etc. The look is just different. Peachtree Hills almost seems more like the Lindbergh area. Peachtree Park as well. I was wondering if it was originally part of Lindbergh (which Peachtree Hills backs up to).

The reason I noticed all this is because I was driving over in the area to see a house for sale and the homeowner advertised that there was all new landscaping and then I noticed that almost every house in the street could have used a bit of landscaping and the house that I was viewing was beautiful but it was an outlier. Just noticed that. I was turned off from the house because of the look of the entire street/community. The house was cleaned up beautifully but it was an outlier.
Well, it's a mistake to think that Buckhead is some sort of exclusive enclave. It certainly has its areas of mansions, but there have always been many solid middle class neighborhoods there as well. Many of them grew up at the same time as other parts of the city so the housing styles and lot sizes reflect that.

McKinley

Lofton

Golfview

Wieuca Terrace

Karland

Old 10-14-2014, 11:21 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
The neighborhoods east of Peachtree in Buckhead all seem rather similar to me; there's a very cottagey feel to them. The west of Peachtree neighborhoods are on the whole much grander.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,991,836 times
Peachtree Hills is similar to other Buckhead neighborhoods to me--parts of Garden Hills, Peachtree Heights East look very similar and are nearby. . .

The term Buckhead itself has evolved in my lifetime. To my father, it meant only the commercial district around the five points intersection of W. Paces/Peachtree/Roswell. (He would say he was going to walk up to Buckhead, when living in PHE). When I was a kid, it meant the neighborhood of Peachtree Heights West and that commercial center. It definitely did not include Lindbergh, Lenox, and other areas that encompass what is Buckhead today.

But using today's definition, I see many areas that are similar to Peachtree Hills. In the 80s Peachtree Hills had a lot of rentals that young professionals rented (walking distance to the Treehouse--what's not to like!) then slowly it became more owner-occupied and got fixed up and calmed down. I think it has really improved since those days, but still has an eclectic vibe. Great neighborhood!

Old 10-14-2014, 03:01 PM

I don't think it's an exclusive enclave but I sure did not expect to see the eclectic vibe that AtlJan referenced (which I agree with) in Peachtree Hills, especially not to the tune of 500K+. But when you think about it, yes, I guess I would think that a neighborhood of 3/2 cottages (that are generally less than 2000 square feet) that are more than 50 years old, mostly frame (but not traditional Victorians, etc.) and that are going for 500K+ is a bit of an exclusive enclave. What else would be the reason that it is demanding such prices? I do not say this to prove it SHOULD be exclusive but rather to say, I guess it IS sort of exclusive...not to my liking but appears to be exclusive nonetheless.

I agree with LovinDecatur (about east of Peachtree being different from west of Peachtree) and also agree with AtlJan about the definition of Buckhead evolving over time. I had read something similar and that is why I asked if Peachtree Hills was originally part of Lindbergh bc they feel/look much more similar than say those areas west of Peachtree (and north of Collier).

Also, I guess I am going to disagree about Buckhead being middle class. Not because I am trying to be exclusive bc I am not (I grew up working-middle class) but because neighborhoods demanding 500K for houses of any size are just not middle class neighborhoods (isn't the median home price something in the low 200s).

I have no idea where all of those other neighborhoods are that you named and I don't know that I have seen any of them on the list of neighborhoods that officially make up Buckhead. Again, I am not being exclusive, I am just saying, I'm not sure that the areas you are naming are tied in closely to the discussion at hand.

ETA: I see that you were listing streets (not names of communities), Arjay. I see that it looks middle class but I'm saying what is middle class about a 500K house? I just don't see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, it's a mistake to think that Buckhead is some sort of exclusive enclave. It certainly has its areas of mansions, but there have always been many solid middle class neighborhoods there as well. Many of them grew up at the same time as other parts of the city so the housing styles and lot sizes reflect that.

McKinley

Lofton

Golfview

Wieuca Terrace

Karland

Last edited by LovelySummer; 10-14-2014 at 03:22 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's an exclusive enclave but I sure did not expect to see the eclectic vibe that AtlJan referenced (which I agree with) in Peachtree Hills, especially not to the tune of 500K+. But when you think about it, yes, I guess I would think that a neighborhood of 3/2 cottages (that are generally less than 2000 square feet) that are more than 50 years old, mostly frame (but not traditional Victorians, etc.) and that are going for 500K+ is a bit of an exclusive enclave. What else would be the reason that it is demanding such prices? I do not say this to prove it SHOULD be exclusive but rather to say, I guess it IS sort of exclusive...not to my liking but appears to be exclusive nonetheless.

I agree with LovinDecatur (about east of Peachtree being different from west of Peachtree) and also agree with AtlJan about the definition of Buckhead evolving over time. I had read something similar and that is why I asked if Peachtree Hills was originally part of Lindbergh bc they feel/look much more similar than say those areas west of Peachtree (and north of Collier).

Also, I guess I am going to disagree about Buckhead being middle class. Not because I am trying to be exclusive bc I am not (I grew up working-middle class) but because neighborhoods demanding 500K for houses of any size are just not middle class neighborhoods (isn't the median home price something in the low 200s).

I have no idea where all of those other neighborhoods are that you named and I don't know that I have seen any of them on the list of neighborhoods that officially make up Buckhead. Again, I am not being exclusive, I am just saying, I'm not sure that the areas you are naming are tied in closely to the discussion at hand.

ETA: I see that you were listing streets (not names of communities), Arjay. I see that it looks middle class but I'm saying what is middle class about a 500K house? I just don't see that.
LovelySummer, I don't think anybody is stamping their feet and "demanding" $500K -- that's simply the market price. And it's no different from similar homes in Candler Park, Oakhurst, Virginia Highland or other intown neighborhoods.

I agree that there's a difference between "middle class" and "working class." If you look at the homes that were built in the neighborhoods I listed, or in the eastside neighborhoods, the people who lived there were working people with good jobs who were on the way up -- salesmen, engineers, accountants, department managers, etc. They were not CEOs or captains of industry.

I also came from a working class family -- nobody had ever attended college or anything like that. We were bus drivers, factory workers, brickmasons and the like. So I do appreciate the distinction you are making.

Is intown Atlanta getting pricey? Sure. Intown 3/2 houses in nice neighborhoods are now at or above the $500K price range. But compared to other big cities that's still very affordable.

Last edited by arjay57; 10-14-2014 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta