Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:52 AM

109 posts, read 329,332 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and I've been reading many of the threads. My girlfriend and I moved to Alpharetta six months ago. We are teachers in South Forsyth County. Since we have been here, I guess I am still home sick because I am not diggin' the area so much. I am looking for things to do with people my age (early 30's).

Also, I want to buy a house. I want to begin building equity so when the market increases I will decide to head back to NY or not. I will look to buy in the South Forsyth County/North Fulton area.

Few questions?

1) Why is everyone into college football? NFL is much better!
2) Religion? It's a bit too much. There is more to life than the Church.
3) Why marry young and have kids so fast? Who wants that responsibility so young?
4) Northeners coming down? Really? Where are they and why hasn't a real pizzeria opened up yet? Too many corporate chains in the area. To hear people rave about Chic-fa-la and Zaxby's is sad.

These are just a few frustrations that I have so far with GA. Maybe someone can help me out a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 11:33 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,250 times
1. College football is better, has more history than the NFL..many teams started playing in the 1890s
2. Cant help ya there, go inside 285 to get your secular life on...really. I never was too into the church thing myself
3. See the church
4. Check out Fellinis inside the perimeter for good pizza (IMHO).

I wouldn't live in Alpharetta personally but I definitely understand why, with your jobs n all. Atlanta isn't so much a southern city, especially outside the city proper as much as it is a conservative corporate chain enclave I think. It's clean, shiny and very boring. Great place to raise children though.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:54 AM

390 posts, read 907,267 times
fellinis or mellow mushroom pizza are both delicious.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:51 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher30004 View Post
4) Northeners coming down? Really? Where are they and why hasn't a real pizzeria opened up yet? Too many corporate chains in the area. To hear people rave about Chic-fa-la and Zaxby's is sad.
In my subdivision which is the next zipcode over, I have yet to meet a single southerner - we are all northerners. Maybe south Forsyth is more southern, not sure, but Suwanee sure isn't southern. Regarding pizza, there really aren't many Italians moving down here, so therefore less pizza.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:03 PM

79 posts, read 416,315 times
I live just east of Alpharetta, and have met exactly 1 Georgian since moving here in July. In fact, I'd say about a quarter of the people I know are from New York.

Can't help you with the pizzeria, but a New Yorker friend had recommended Grouchy's Deli and New York City Deli & Bagels (both in Alpharetta) for great sandwiches and bagels.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:38 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Check out Ray's New York Pizza...get the whole pizza, not a slice or two.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:48 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I never got the college football thing either. I was amazed when people at my high school made college choices based on the SEC! People asked me what division my college football team played in and when I told them my Massachusetts college didn't have a football team but we had a heck of a women's rugby team, I got shocked looks (and it wasn't because of the women's rugby...).

The religion is a bit too much, and you have to be the "right" religion. There's not yet a synagogue in Forsyth County despite a growing Jewish community and there is only one Catholic church in the South end of the county despite at least 30 Southern Baptist, Methodist, or Church of God congregations within a 5 minute radius.

I don't get the marrying young bit. I graduate from South Forsyth High in 2006 and quite a few people in my class are either married, engaged, pregnant, or already have a baby. I simply can't imagine! However, in many of the old South families, this is normal. I remember telling a friend's mom about my college plans and she gave me an incredulous look and said "You're going that far to study teaching or nursing? Just go to North Georgia!" Apparently all a young woman of the South (at least in that area) is allowed to do is teach or be a nurse and then stay at home with the kids. Of course, as more people move in, a lot of that is going away but it's always a huge shock when you run into people like that! Thankfully there's a lot less of them now than when I was in middle school (or maybe many of their minds have been changed!).

I'm a Bostonian who was raised from age 2 in Cumming. :P My dad still has his Boston accent despite living in GA for 18 years! Most of my friends in GA are from all over NY and a few from Virginia. Even many of the Southerners there were from ITP, South GA, Alabama, or North Carolina. I don't like pizza so I can't help you there, but I've heard good things about a new bagel place on McFarland Road (off of exit 12 west... not sure if that's A or B). I can't eat gluten anymore so I can't test it out myself, but many people rave about it.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Check out Ray's New York Pizza...get the whole pizza, not a slice or two.
BWAHAHAHAHA! That's funny! When I went there, I thought I had eaten a brick!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I never got the college football thing either. I was amazed when people at my high school made college choices based on the SEC! People asked me what division my college football team played in and when I told them my Massachusetts college didn't have a football team but we had a heck of a women's rugby team, I got shocked looks (and it wasn't because of the women's rugby...).

The religion is a bit too much, and you have to be the "right" religion. There's not yet a synagogue in Forsyth County despite a growing Jewish community and there is only one Catholic church in the South end of the county despite at least 30 Southern Baptist, Methodist, or Church of God congregations within a 5 minute radius.

I don't get the marrying young bit. I graduate from South Forsyth High in 2006 and quite a few people in my class are either married, engaged, pregnant, or already have a baby. I simply can't imagine! However, in many of the old South families, this is normal. I remember telling a friend's mom about my college plans and she gave me an incredulous look and said "You're going that far to study teaching or nursing? Just go to North Georgia!" Apparently all a young woman of the South (at least in that area) is allowed to do is teach or be a nurse and then stay at home with the kids. Of course, as more people move in, a lot of that is going away but it's always a huge shock when you run into people like that! Thankfully there's a lot less of them now than when I was in middle school (or maybe many of their minds have been changed!).

I'm a Bostonian who was raised from age 2 in Cumming. :P My dad still has his Boston accent despite living in GA for 18 years! Most of my friends in GA are from all over NY and a few from Virginia. Even many of the Southerners there were from ITP, South GA, Alabama, or North Carolina. I don't like pizza so I can't help you there, but I've heard good things about a new bagel place on McFarland Road (off of exit 12 west... not sure if that's A or B). I can't eat gluten anymore so I can't test it out myself, but many people rave about it.

Thanks for your input. Out of curiosity, where in NY are your friends from? I agree, I haven't met any people that are actually from GA.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:15 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher30004 View Post
BWAHAHAHAHA! That's funny! When I went there, I thought I had eaten a brick!
Wherever you move, it is a given that it is hard to find pizza that compares to what you were use to "back home," especially what you might have had as a kid. To me, I will never have a pizza better than Longo's pizza in Mentor Ohio where I am from originally. I have found some pizza places that I enjoy down here (Ohio and Michigan pizza is not as thin as NY; I really can't stand thin crust pizza) but it's never the same. Regarding the other issues, some northerners move down here and just find the culture too foreign and end up moving back. The people who enjoy it down here tend to be those that enjoy the swim/tennis lifestyle, are Protestants, and have young kids. Metro Atlanta is not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta