Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:04 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times

Advertisements

"One of the great things about living in New York or San Francisco is that you don’t need to drive to get around. They’re dense cities with good transit systems, so it’s no surprise they take the top two spots in a new ranking of best American cities for commuting without a car. What’s less expected is that third place goes to Los Angeles, a metropolis famed for its traffic-clogged freeways and mocked for its lack of good public transportation.

The report, by Andrew Owen and David Levinson, defines accessibility as “the ease of reaching valued destinations,” in this case jobs. Simply put, it’s an examination of how easy it is for people to get to work.

The authors offer two approaches for improving accessibility. The first is obvious: Offer more and better service that reaches more people. But where jobs and homes are located matters, too. Atlanta has a heavy rail system comparable to those in New York, San Francisco, and Chicago, but because its job centers aren’t as concentrated, that service is less useful, and accessibility suffers..."

Full Story: America's 10 Best Cities for Commuting on Public Transit | WIRED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 07:35 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
"One of the great things about living in New York or San Francisco is that you don’t need to drive to get around. They’re dense cities with good transit systems, so it’s no surprise they take the top two spots in a new ranking of best American cities for commuting without a car. What’s less expected is that third place goes to Los Angeles, a metropolis famed for its traffic-clogged freeways and mocked for its lack of good public transportation.

The report, by Andrew Owen and David Levinson, defines accessibility as “the ease of reaching valued destinations,” in this case jobs. Simply put, it’s an examination of how easy it is for people to get to work.

The authors offer two approaches for improving accessibility. The first is obvious: Offer more and better service that reaches more people. But where jobs and homes are located matters, too. Atlanta has a heavy rail system comparable to those in New York, San Francisco, and Chicago, but because its job centers aren’t as concentrated, that service is less useful, and accessibility suffers..."

Anyone who thinks MARTA rail is comparable to CTA clearly has never ridden CTA. The thing that makes MARTA non-comparable is the mere fact that it serves very little of the Atlanta metro, it is not an el train and it doesn't have a separate subway system.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:54 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
What does being an el train and not having a separate subway system have to do with anything? Is Miami's Metrorail superior because it's only an el train?

Old 10-15-2014, 01:08 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post

What i don't like is how they automatically assume that this is a great thing for everyone.

Many love the comfort and the efficiency of getting around with their personal vehicle than riding a train.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:32 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What i don't like is how they automatically assume that this is a great thing for everyone.

Many love the comfort and the efficiency of getting around with their personal vehicle than riding a train.
Comfort yes, efficiency... a big NO!

Old 10-15-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Comfort yes, efficiency... a big NO!
Look at a street map of Atlanta vs a MARTA rail and bus map.

Cars take you more places.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:04 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,796 times
Quote:

In a Sunbelt metro like Atlanta, of course cars can take you more places. This metro area was BUILT on the car; it's practically impossible to get around ~95% of the metro area without one. Part of this city's car-dependent culture may have to do with the era in which this area grew: postwar, cheap automobiles, racial tension, endless land....

Plus, even though cars "can take you more places", I have to agree with onemanarmy that Atlanta's freeway and road system doesn't do that efficiently, especially where everyone lives (north of I-20). The traffic congestion here gets pretty ridiculous very fast.

MARTA's getting more and more efficient, especially during the work week. The sad part is that MARTA rail isn't available in ~97% of the metro area, and the bus system doesn't do much better.

- skbl17

Old 10-15-2014, 05:37 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:

Someone already answered efficiency so I'll answer comfort. Can you read a book while driving? Sleep while driving? Check e-mail while driving? No? Well I can do all of that and more from my seat on the train or bus.
Quote:

So you're trying to say the transit isn't as comfortable and efficient where it doesn't exist? Well, you're technically correct. But go from Buckhead to or from Five Points during either rush hour, look out at I-85 and tell me the transit isn't more comfortable and more efficient than being stuck and cooped up in a car that is crawling along in traffic.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Someone already answered efficiency so I'll answer comfort. Can you read a book while driving? Sleep while driving? Check e-mail while driving? No? Well I can do all of that and more from my seat on the train or bus.

So you're trying to say the transit isn't as comfortable and efficient where it doesn't exist? Well, you're technically correct.But go from Buckhead to or from Five Points during either rush hour, look out at I-85 and tell me the transit isn't more comfortable and more efficient than being stuck and cooped up in a car that is crawling along in traffic.
That is the point, and there is a reason why it doesnt exist... we've all seen the infamous comparisons of the Atlanta built up area vs the built up area of a place like Paris or some other city, haven't we?

Spoiler

To travel to most places you have to walk from your house to the bus or train stop, hop on the bus or train, and get off and walk to your destination (which is not always by your stop). With a car you can go from your home in Kennesaw, GA to your office in Sandy Springs, GA without even stepping outside. pretty amazing if you ask me.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:25 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Oh the horror of actually having to do some walking outside in order to get from point A to point B. And I'm pretty sure that a more sedentary lifestyle and higher obesity rates in the South/Sunbelt have absolutely nothing to do with this supposed convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta