Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,462 times

Advertisements

So my friend and I are looking to relocate to the atlanta area. We both been to atlanta but we know nothing about it. We are currently in California. We haven't began looking for jobs yet because we don't know which county is affordable and which county isn't too crowded. We are both in our late 20's and we both dont have children. The type of work that we both currently do is more geared towards military. So more than likely when we begin our job search it will be for one of the bases close to atlanta. We need advice on which county to look into and the best places for employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 05:17 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichick86 View Post
So my friend and I are looking to relocate to the atlanta area. We both been to atlanta but we know nothing about it. We are currently in California. We haven't began looking for jobs yet because we don't know which county is affordable and which county isn't too crowded. We are both in our late 20's and we both dont have children. The type of work that we both currently do is more geared towards military. So more than likely when we begin our job search it will be for one of the bases close to atlanta. We need advice on which county to look into and the best places for employment.
Cobb Couny in Marrietta.Thats where DobbinS Joint MilitaryBase is.It house the Air Force,Navy and Army National Guard.

There was also Ft.Gilem and Ft.McPherson.but they are in the base closure draw down phase.

The closest other bases are an hour and half away.Ft.Benning in Columbus and Robins AFB in Warner Robims Georgia.Both are HUGE influential bases with large missions.

Marritta is just 25 min North of Atlanta.Its a nice relatively inexpensive suburban community with any jobs.Lockheed also has a plant adjacent to the base.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:52 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
What type of job do you have?

stick to Dobbins and Ft. Gilem because I think Ft Mac is closed since Tyler Perry is buying the base

Old 10-21-2014, 04:18 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Dobbins is near the city of Smyrna, and Smyrna has a large number of California and other West coast transplants.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:26 PM

19 posts, read 44,285 times
Living in Georgia is Much Different than visiting. Be prepared. Atlanta area is much better than other parts of Georgia no doubt. Also while it says it is attracting jobs has the highest unemployment rate nationwide. There are layoffs happening maybe not so much in the Atlanta area but in the Middle Georgia area.
As For WR AFB I don't know the Work you do but they just had layoffs recently. They are in a constant state of restructuring it seems.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:01 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
If your jobs end up being at or near Dobbins, I agree that either Smyrna or downtown Marietta would be great bets.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:42 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
I've never seen so many California plates as I see around here except when I visited California itself. You'll be in familiar company.

fyi, from a Cali perspective nothing in metro Atlanta is too crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta