Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,939 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at a 3/3.5 house with the master suite and 1 other room upstairs. The 3rd room is downstairs. Would this hurt resale later? How do people feel about having a split floorplan like this?

More info - no kids yet but hopefully in the next few years. My current thinking is that we could use the downstairs room as a guest room/office and eventually keep a child upstairs with us. But what happens later with kid #2???

Thoughts and insight would be greatly appreciated.

-R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 11:05 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
I have always found split level homes visually appealing inside. You have steps but not a ton and they feel sort of light and airy like a nicely laid out ranch.

I think the resale will depend on the demographics of your neighborhood. I'm divorced with no children and around 10 years ago, a split level would have been perfect for me. Now, I have aging parents and have to consider the possibility that one may have to move in with me one day so I'd be looking for something flat instead.

If I were starting a family, I think I could get by with a split level but would probably opt for a traditional two-story. The age difference in child #1 and child #2 would be a factor in that decision. Child #1 would have to move to the bedroom downstairs when Child #2 came along. Child #2 would probably really appreciate the privacy after becoming a teen lol, but I'm not sure I'd appreciate the separation so much if they were both young and close in age. I think they'd have to share the bedroom upstairs until they got older.

Floorplans and design aside, the only negative thing I have heard about split levels is that heating and cooling costs are higher. That's also said about ranches as opposed to two stories. Having just sold a two-story, I feel like calling the bs card on that but admit I don't know for sure. I am saying though that I had two units (one for upstairs and one for downstairs) and I did not notice a cost savings for that supposed level of control; I think it was higher.

Good luck though. I did not buy in mind for resale, but it just worked out that my choice was decent for that purpose.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:10 AM

122 posts, read 186,273 times
Here is my take - I personally want all the bedrooms to be on the upper level. However, there is something to be said about having an office downstairs. If it were 4 bedrooms with 1 being downstairs I don't think that's an issue. But 3 bedrooms with 1 downstairs? Most couples with 2+ kids will not be interested, and even some with 1 kid.

Is this an area that has a lot of families? If so I might shy away because you will be limiting potential buyers when you go to sell it. If it's more of an urban/young professional area than its less of a concern.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:46 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,199 times
I agree that it has a lot to do with the demographics of your neighborhood. Where I live you have lots of singles or couples with no kids at home.

The split level is great because it is ideal for guest or roommates. The split level is also very nice if you have a teenager but young kids would be tough if one is up and the other is down.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:57 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,991,836 times
Is the house already a good buy, as in it is priced right bc the quirky floorplan is somewhat unappealing? If so, then I don't see the problem in terms of resale. However, I have two kids in early grade school--I would not yet feel comfortable with having them sleep on a different floor from me--they come into my room when they are sick or scared etc and I would not want them traipsing too far--and they wouldn't like it either. You could put them in the same room for a while though.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:59 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,261 times
I think you are really smart to think about resale even before you buy in order to determine whether to buy.
I don't care for split levels because we lived in one in the '80s and it just reminds me of the old style of homes but we had a great house and I'm sure the one that you are considering must be nice as well. I also don't like not having a main floor to hang out on - being forced to go up or down. Something about that doesn't feel right for me. LOL.

Yes, the same things you are wondering about now are the same things potential buyers will wonder about later. As AtlJan said, if the price is reduced to account for this, then no problem. But I would skip it and get a house that will appeal to people with 2.5 kids since that is alot of what you are seeing nowadays. Very few people buying a split level home (especially if you are talking out in the suburbs) are single or just a couple. Most homebuyers out in the suburbs have kids (plural, not just one) so they are going to have the same issues that you are wondering about.

I would skip it. You can put an office in any bedroom on any floor. I would focus on getting a house that you like that is also going to resale nicely...for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer3659 View Post
My wife and I are looking at a 3/3.5 house with the master suite and 1 other room upstairs. The 3rd room is downstairs. Would this hurt resale later? How do people feel about having a split floorplan like this?

More info - no kids yet but hopefully in the next few years. My current thinking is that we could use the downstairs room as a guest room/office and eventually keep a child upstairs with us. But what happens later with kid #2???

Thoughts and insight would be greatly appreciated.

-R

Old 10-19-2014, 08:25 AM

616 posts, read 1,112,607 times
Depends on the location and the price. Split levels are less popular than ranches and traditional colonials. But location and price can trump that. If you are buying one, you better negotiate a good deal since resale will be tougher (but not impossible).

Old 10-19-2014, 07:55 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,210 times
All other things being equal, I would think a split level is a little less desirable, so you should probably pay a little less when buying, and expect to sell for a little less when selling. Right or wrong, I always had the impression that they were a little less energy efficient, but, it is not like they are toxic

Old 10-20-2014, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 4,939 times
Thanks everyone. We decided to put an offer in and see what happens...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta