Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:37 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
According to this analysis things are just fine here for college grads

Best Cities for Recent College Graduates - NerdWallet Credit Card Blog

Perhaps the message just isn't getting out.
Begging your pardon, but that article is a poorly researched load of crap.

Atlanta's biggest employers are Coca-Cola, Delta and Home Depot? I'm a Georgia Tech grad and none of those companies have ever seen fit to grant me an interview.

Atlanta is *far* from a good city for a new grad. Economies are booming elsewhere while unemployment here stays high. This means lower wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 05:44 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
So go interview elsewhere while the rest of us prosper

Old 10-21-2014, 05:54 AM

298 posts, read 373,878 times
User jsvh brought this up elsewhere, but it's important to read the study.

http://cityobservatory.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/YNR-Report-Final.pdf

While the percent change in the Atlanta metro area of people between the ages of 25-43 with a four year degree only rose 2.8%, the close-in urban neighborhoods, which are defined as those areas within 3 miles of the center of each metropolitans area's central business district, increased 39%.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:37 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
I don't think its completely fair to say Atlanta isn't a good place for college grads. I think, like any city, it depends on your degree or area of expertise. The majority of people I know with my graduate degree got jobs in Atlanta straight out of college during the worst part of the recession. Most wanted to stay in Atlanta, and those who did want to stay found a job within a few months. I had a job lined up before I even graduated. So, for some sectors I'm sure Atlanta isn't great, but for others its one of the best places to be in the country. There are some jobs you wouldn't go to Austin for either - it's all relative.

Also, I know plenty of people who moved here for various jobs straight out of college, including for engineering. They are out there, maybe people on this board just need to work on improving their resumes or write some better cover letters Whenever we open a position, 90% of people apply without even bothering to write a cover letter and 5% with the cover letter don't personalize it to the position. That makes for a really helpful weeding out process

Old 10-21-2014, 06:50 AM

134 posts, read 185,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta has a mix of pine and deciduous trees. Pine trees don't produce a canopy like this:
Further, I'd like to see the amazing fall color that those beautiful trees in Austin will have in about 10 days.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:52 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
So go interview elsewhere while the rest of us prosper
Yup, I did just that and now, I'm gone.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:04 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Walkable college town, with a river, great nightlife. And their trees are better than all Atlanta's pine trees.
The trees? Of all things the trees? That is the one thing I don't miss about central Texas.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:17 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post

Atlanta's biggest employers are Coca-Cola, Delta and Home Depot? I'm a Georgia Tech grad and none of those companies have ever seen fit to grant me an interview.
Also a GT grad here, and I run out of fingers to count on long before I run out of classmates and friends from school working at those three companies. With the exception of maybe the big consulting firms, I know more people that took jobs at HD and Delta than anywhere else. I'd say your personal experience does not align with what I've observed.

Anyone blaming this on trees, or bars, or hot women has their head in the sand. New college grads today were starting school as their parents were in year 2 of unemployment, and when the job prospects for recent grads were really really bleak because there was a pool of experienced talent willing to work for entry-level pay to keep the mortgage paid. New college grads are chasing careers, not bar districts or their favorite species of oak. Atlanta still lags other areas in unemployment.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:22 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Yup, I did just that and now, I'm gone.
We know, you manage to remind us every day

Old 10-21-2014, 07:22 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Also a GT grad here, and I run out of fingers to count on long before I run out of classmates and friends from school working at those three companies. With the exception of maybe the big consulting firms, I know more people that took jobs at HD and Delta than anywhere else. I'd say your personal experience does not align with what I've observed.

Anyone blaming this on trees, or bars, or hot women has their head in the sand. New college grads today were starting school as their parents were in year 2 of unemployment, and when the job prospects for recent grads were really really bleak because there was a pool of experienced talent willing to work for entry-level pay to keep the mortgage paid. New college grads are chasing careers, not bar districts or their favorite species of oak.
Not everyone graduates IE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta