Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:52 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,522,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We could start by not bashing Cobb at every opportunity.
What Cobb bashing? Saying something is probably illegal, a bad deal, and will create a transportation nightmare isn't bashing in any sense, it's stating facts at best, and opinions at worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 07:49 PM

559 posts, read 832,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
What Cobb bashing? Saying something is probably illegal, a bad deal, and will create a transportation nightmare isn't bashing in any sense, it's stating facts at best, and opinions at worst.

When you say it 100 times, it becomes bashing. And you and all the same anti-Cobb types on this board know it.

Surprise us. Come up with an original thought. It's like Groundhog Day on this board every time Cobb is mentioned.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:56 PM

Well, we won't "bash" if the Cobb cheerleaders will stop their continuous exaggerations of how great this is stretching things way out of proportion. Maybe it's you guys should come up with the original thoughts. It's a two-way street, stifling one side because you don't like it just makes you look even worse.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:59 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie16 View Post
I've seen things like this posted over and over again. It cracks me up that people are acting like the Braves are the only team that won't be playing in the City Limits of their name sake.

For example:
Buffalo Bills (Orchid Hills)
Dallas Cowboys ( Arlington)
Miami Dolphins (Miami Gardens)
New York Giants (East Rutherford, New Jersey)
New York Jets (same)
Washington Redskins (Hanover, Maryland)
Tampa Bay Rays (St. Petersberg)
Detroit Pistons (Auburn Hills)
Phoenix Coyotes (Glendale)
Thank you for a small dose of common sense among the insanity. What makes the ridiculous comments even more ridiculous is that the stadium site is a mile from the city line, so it's not even way out in the suburbs as some would like to make it seem.

If the site was on the Fulton side of the river, the same people would be praising it.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Thank you for a small dose of common sense among the insanity. What makes the ridiculous comments even more ridiculous is that the stadium site is a mile from the city line, so it's not even way out in the suburbs as some would like to make it seem.

If the site was on the Fulton side of the river, the same people would be praising it.
If they would be, it'd only because getting to a stadium inside I-285 would be somewhat less painful than Cumberland, and MARTA could serve it directly. Most of the complaints about the location are the traffic, not an arbitrary line some politician drew on a map years ago. I'd have less strong feelings on it if it were going to Doraville or Stonecrest or even down near Hartsfield. Doraville has bad traffic, but rail access. Hartsfield has rail access, and Stonecrest isn't known for terrible traffic.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:58 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,545 times
Quote:
I'd have less strong feelings on it if it were going to Doraville or Stonecrest or even down near Hartsfield. Doraville has bad traffic, but rail access. Hartsfield has rail access, and Stonecrest isn't known for terrible traffic.
Agreed. However, if the move to any of those locations had been facilitated by unethical under-the-table dealings, then I'd feel the same way about how the move came about.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:29 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
If they would be, it'd only because getting to a stadium inside I-285 would be somewhat less painful than Cumberland, and MARTA could serve it directly. Most of the complaints about the location are the traffic, not an arbitrary line some politician drew on a map years ago. I'd have less strong feelings on it if it were going to Doraville or Stonecrest or even down near Hartsfield. Doraville has bad traffic, but rail access. Hartsfield has rail access, and Stonecrest isn't known for terrible traffic.
I'm not going to debate the relative traffic impacts if the stadium is a few thousand yards away on the Fulton side of the river. What I will reiterate is that we're discussing a very small number of days per year (around 40), where there would conceivably be any traffic impacts.

To me, this fretting by the usual suspects in this board is akin to all the doom saying that took place before the TSPLOST vote. Remember how the city would be brought to its knees as businesses would leave the area in droves? The exaggeration and hyperbole by those who just have a political axe to grind gets really old.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:51 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,058 times
Quote:
I'm not going to debate the relative traffic impacts if the stadium is a few thousand yards away on the Fulton side of the river. What I will reiterate is that we're discussing a very small number of days per year (around 40), where there would conceivably be any traffic impacts.
I thought about this as well. Saturday and Sunday games won't be a problem with rush hour. Friday night games would be the worst but it's not like going SB on the downtown connector suddenly got terrible because of the game, it's always bad in the afternoon and if you're coming down 75, 400 or 85, you'll take the connector south. You might have a problem for noon games during the week once the game ends. Maybe.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:11 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:

That's a very good point.

Did the Atlanta Opera stop being the Atlanta Opera when they moved to the Energy Centre? Did the Atlanta Ballet quit being the Atlanta Ballet when they made their home in Cobb? Why should the Braves be treated any differently?

The fact is that Cobb is a big, bustling urban place that is a key to the success of our metro area. It's the close in home of nearly 3/4 of a million people and it will continue to grow and mature as one of the core counties. Atlantans will be better off embracing Cobb than bashing it.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:19 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joep2 View Post
What are the odds that of the 40 games, that any would be on a Monday through Friday.

Yeah only most of the games. Yeah minimal impact.

40 days a year is minimal impact. It's more likely to rain on you or for there to be a wreck/stall screw up your commute over a year.

A lot of the season would fall during summer break when traffic isn't as bad.
Braves home attendance is a little worse than average at 29K. The weekend games skew that number so expect fewer during the week. Fridays will be the worst. And given the past few years of the Braves we won't have to worry about playoff traffic. A One Direction concert downtown creates worse traffic than a Braves game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta