Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:40 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,868,878 times

Advertisements

right now, we are getting to a situation where there is virtually zero open land space in the northern suburbs, extending all the way to alpharetta. besides a few spots that have been looked over, the only development that will occur in this corridor will be redevelopment of existing land uses. while there is room for individual buildings and small developments, there is no longer any room available for building subdivisions, for example.

do you believe that the mostly undeveloped land area extending to the east, west, and south of the city (ie: 10 or so miles OTP) will ever develop in the manner that the north side has? or will the north side simply densify, leaving these areas mostly rural?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 03:10 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,435,368 times
Who wants to be like the blondie yuppy club. Yes alot of great development on the northside, but being all in black or white resident neighborhoods is boring. Yawn......

Old 10-23-2014, 03:22 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,868,878 times
i'm not saying this is what i want, or that this is a good thing. i'm just trying to get a good picture of what we will be looking at 20-30 years from now.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:51 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,021 times
If there is demand, sure.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Are you referring to the intown portion, inner core suburbs, or outer suburbs?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:17 AM

23,436 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Seems to me that the metro is as dense to the east as it is to the north.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:40 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,132,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
right now, we are getting to a situation where there is virtually zero open land space in the northern suburbs, extending all the way to alpharetta. besides a few spots that have been looked over, the only development that will occur in this corridor will be redevelopment of existing land uses. while there is room for individual buildings and small developments, there is no longer any room available for building subdivisions, for example.

do you believe that the mostly undeveloped land area extending to the east, west, and south of the city (ie: 10 or so miles OTP) will ever develop in the manner that the north side has? or will the north side simply densify, leaving these areas mostly rural?
It depends where. East on 20 is Decatur, Lithonia and Conyers, but since white flight hit those areas, it would take a MARTA rail going to lithonia atleast go get more development around there, and alot of people already live in the Stn Mtn, Lithonia, Decatur area. In the South, the airplane noise can be a real turnoff for many, so that would all be how much noise one can put up with.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:17 AM

124 posts, read 152,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

I dont really think so. Barring a major upgrade to the roads or transit systems (or a collapse in gas prices), the developable land in most of these areas is just too far from major job centers for development to make much sense. I think we are nearing the limits of exurban growth in Atlanta as the cost and time involved in commuting from these far flung areas now completely outweighs the "savings" of living in these areas.

Infill development closer to the core will happen before these areas are touched.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:44 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,127,744 times
Nope. All of the wealth and money is concentrated in the northern region. Plus if you look at demographics of the metro, things become much more obvious.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinealley View Post
To keep it 100: No, the Southside maybe the only region that will see development (seeing it now) that is comparable to Northside via Hartsfield-Jackson. I believe the southside and westside will be left with economic development (jobs; not many residential developments, unless they really try to gentrify)

I see Clayton, South Fulton being targeted for the growth that were discussing, I don't be on the eastside like that. I know for sure though South Fulton is the next market to see substantial growth.
It will all depend on quality of schools. Look at the northside and the level of schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta